casi12345
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
does anyone know of any interesting/good non-fiction science books?
wolfmoon88
Badges: 21
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by casi12345)
does anyone know of any interesting/good non-fiction science books?
That's very vague, is there any specific part of biology that you are particularly interested in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
C_Yap
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
A bit too vague...

I'm currently reading for my personal statement:
-'Power, Sex, Suicide: Mitochondria and the Meaning of Life' by Nick Lane
-'Epigenetics Revolution' by Nessa Carey

The first book touches on evolutionary cell biology and the importance of mitochondria in cellular processes such as the release of cytochrome c to initate apoptosis via the caspase cascade. It's very readable.

The second one talks about gene expression explores topics such as induced pluripotent stem cells, sex and the effect of the environment on the epigenome. Again, this is quite readable.

You need to be a bit more specific though. You didn't provide information on what specific topics of biology.
casi12345
Rep:
?
(Original post by Baaah)
A bit too vague...

I'm currently reading for my personal statement:
-'Power, Sex, Suicide: Mitochondria and the Meaning of Life' by Nick Lane
-'Epigenetics Revolution' by Nessa Carey

The first book touches on evolutionary cell biology and the importance of mitochondria in cellular processes such as the release of cytochrome c to initate apoptosis via the caspase cascade. It's very readable.

The second one talks about gene expression explores topics such as induced pluripotent stem cells, sex and the effect of the environment on the epigenome. Again, this is quite readable.

You need to be a bit more specific though. You didn't provide information on what specific topics of biology.
thankyou so much for your reply, I will definitely look into these books. I like books about evolution and the human body and anatomy, I enjoy neurology books too but the ones i've read include a lot of 'medical' language that's hard to understand.
wolfmoon88
Report 3 years ago
Selfish Gene- Richard Dawkins

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rarest
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by wolfmoon88)

Posted from TSR Mobile
das good
casi12345
Rep:
?
That's very vague, is there any specific part of biology that you are particularly interested in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you for your reply.I've read a lot of neurology books but the language isn't simple enough for me to understand, that is a lot of 'medical' language.I love books about evolution and human anatomy books.I enjoyed reading 'Homo sapiens-a brieef history of human kind' which discussed evolution.
casi12345
Rep:
?

Posted from TSR Mobile
thank you.
wolfmoon88
Report 3 years ago
Thank you for your reply.I've read a lot of neurology books but the language isn't simple enough for me to understand, that is a lot of 'medical' language.I love books about evolution and human anatomy books.I enjoyed reading 'Homo sapiens-a brieef history of human kind' which discussed evolution.
If you want a book that discusses evolution from a more anthropological and homo sapiens perspective (for a different pov), Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari is a good read.

I would say Dawkins' books, (A Selfish Gene, An Extended Phenotype, The Blind Watchmaker, The Ancestor's tale etc...) are all quite insightful and accessible.

The diversity of life- EO Wilson was a good read as well. Introduces the concept of biodiversity which is quite fascinating.

One of my favourites is A Third Chimpanzee by Jared Diamond, as he is both an accessible writer and he brings insight from many different fields of study.
casi12345
Rep:
?
If you want a book that discusses evolution from a more anthropological and homo sapiens perspective (for a different pov), Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari is a good read.

I would say Dawkins' books, (A Selfish Gene, An Extended Phenotype, The Blind Watchmaker, The Ancestor's tale etc...) are all quite insightful and accessible.

The diversity of life- EO Wilson was a good read as well. Introduces the concept of biodiversity which is quite fascinating.

One of my favourites is A Third Chimpanzee by Jared Diamond, as he is both an accessible writer and he brings insight from many different fields of study.
thank you so much for your recommendations, very useful.
wolfmoon88
Report 3 years ago
thank you so much for your recommendations, very useful.
No problem happy reading!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (513)
33.75%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (627)
41.25%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (311)
20.46%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (69)
4.54%

Watched Threads