The Student Room Group

Should I take English literature at A-Level?

I'm hoping to pursue a career in medicine, and I definitely have the grades to ensure that's possible (A*s and As), but I'm not sure if I should also do English literature alongside Biology, Chemistry and Physics. I'm well aware that these subjects are already difficult enough, and that it is probably wiser to stick to three rather than four, but I feel as if I don't want to waste my “talent” in English.

I got a level 9 in both English literature and language, meaning I'm in the top 2% of the country. This alone makes me feel obligated to take it, but I'm not sure if there's any point. I'm pretty confident I could maintain good grades in all 4 subjects. Would it be a waste of time, though? I don't think it's good for my career choice, but I see English as a really enjoyable subject - possibly my strongest, too.
Original post by quinxlauren
I'm hoping to pursue a career in medicine, and I definitely have the grades to ensure that's possible (A*s and As), but I'm not sure if I should also do English literature alongside Biology, Chemistry and Physics. I'm well aware that these subjects are already difficult enough, and that it is probably wiser to stick to three rather than four, but I feel as if I don't want to waste my “talent” in English.

I got a level 9 in both English literature and language, meaning I'm in the top 2% of the country. This alone makes me feel obligated to take it, but I'm not sure if there's any point. I'm pretty confident I could maintain good grades in all 4 subjects. Would it be a waste of time, though? I don't think it's good for my career choice, but I see English as a really enjoyable subject - possibly my strongest, too.

Honestly, English Literature takes up a lot of a person's time especially with all the essays, reading and such. Although you might think you can do it (honestly you can probably get good scores in all 4 if what your saying is correct), you have to ask yourself if that's the best use of your time. Imo you should focus on the three science A Levels and use the time that you aren't doing the 4th A level to volunteer at healthcare establishments and to read about medicine as a whole.

Posted from TSR Mobile
^This. English Lit is massively time-consuming, and it's not required for your career path.
Reply 3
Can you take it as an AS? That would be the best solution.

As a Lit student, I want to encourage you to take it (I've personally loved it so far!) but A Levels are HARD and you've picked 3 tough subjects already. You've already got your work cut out, I imagine it would be really difficult to take a heavy subject like Lit on top of it. If you're being set an essay a week for English (usually about 1,500 words long) including research and writing time, you will struggle to keep on top of your science work. You also need to think of the fact that you'll have an awful lot of reading to do which might take up your free periods and some of your holidays. I'd worry, for you, that you might be sacrificing A* grades in your other subjects if you take it.

That being said, if you feel as if you have the motivation and capability to keep up with the workload - having 4 subjects, especially one that is a bit of a contrast to your sciences, sets you apart from other candidates. It might also be nice to be doing something a bit different as well!

If you end up not taking it, you can always keep being an active reader and do creative writing in your spare time. There are other ways to keep your interest in it going!

I'd also like to say that A-Level English Lit is pretty different to GCSE - there is far more emphasis on historical context and literary criticism and theory. So, even if you enjoyed it at GCSE, it might not be your favourite at A-Level. Not to mention, the amount of texts you have to read more than quadruples.

What ever you choose, I hope you do well. Good luck sis X
Original post by quinxlauren

A trap people fall into when picking English Literature at A-Level is that they think it will be the same as GCSE English. It most definitely is not. It is much more harder and more is expected of you. I'm pretty certain Gove's reforms are trying to make A-Level English Literature similar to the first year of a English Literature degree.

Contrary to what STEM snobs say, English Literaturre is not a easy A subject. Pick the subject if you truly have a passion for it and really feel you would find the subject interesting.
Hi, I take English lit along with Biology and Chemistry and hope to be applying to medicine for 2018 entry. In response to 'I don't think its good for my career choice.', arts and humanities are highly valued as a third A level for medicine (HYMS actually encourage applicants with a third A level in arts & humanities to apply.) I don't think doing 4 A levels is too wise either, but if you were to choose English over Physics I don't think this would be a bad move at all. Since English does come naturally to you (I assume), I actually encourage you to choose it as for me its been a LOT less work than bio and chem and I have maintained consistent A grades all year in lit. Good luck!
Reply 6
I have no advice in relation to your career path, however I do take English Lit at A-level, it is a brilliant subject and it's highly rewarding but it is also a lot of work. My advice would be if you like literature and reading then you will love it and it may make a nice change and give you some variety however if you're just doing it because you think you're going to get a good grade in it and you want the UCAS points don't bother because I know it's cliche but it's true: A-levels need more than just skill they also need dedication which is only possible if you enjoy the subjects you're taking.
Reply 7
Honestly, I am in a similar path to you. I want to do Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English Literature. Since you know your career path then I'd say you should get the best grades you can with 3 A levels instead of taking English which is extremely demanding. (it is different to the new English GCSE we have done - there is A LOT more work than you think and I've been thinking that the reality of the work hasn't hit me). Although, if you think you are able to handle the work, then defo go for it since it obviously brings diversity to your studies. Although, you can also do EPQ which I have decided to do now instead of English Literature since with doing only 3 A Levels, I have time to do extra curriculars etc. even though i have a strong passion for english. English is something you would do if your subjects were not science heavy with WILL take a lot of your time. There is a lot of essays to do weekly and extensive reading and reseaching....on top of doing your 3 science A Levels. Thoroughly think this through, I am similarly in the same boat as you....you CAN defo handle everything....only if you have no other responsibilities outside school since you won't have free time. Lastly, take into consideration of the change in A Levels and how they have become harder. Push yourself to get the best grades at A Level for medicine; my overall opinion is 3 A*A*A or 3 A's etc. is better than AABB or ABBB etc.
Reply 8
Hi,

I'm about to go into Year 13 and am taking A levels in maths, biology and English lit. I also did an AS in chemistry this year, as well as doing general studies and an EPQ as it's compulsory to do both of these at my sixth form.

I found that doing 4 subjects as well as general studies and an EPQ was incredibly draining and I definitely wouldn't recommend it. I didn't have free periods and so had to do all my homework and revision outside of school while also trying to maintain a social life and hold down a part time job. We were also given no study leave by our sixth form as only a very small number of us were taking AS exams so I found it very difficult to handle the workload once it got to exam time and I ended up making myself really ill during the summer term.

I love English lit but find it very time-consuming. The amount of time and effort that has to be put into coursework is huge. I also don't like the fact that there's no strict right or wrong answer like in a subject like maths. A lot of people see STEM subjects as harder but personally, I've found English a lot more difficult than my other subjects. I found that there were crossovers between biology and chemistry, maths and chemistry, and maths and biology, but English was a completely different subject to all of my other ones.

I was in a similar position to you last year. I achieved full marks in my French GCSE and thought that it would be a waste to not take it forward to A level. However, in the end, I decided that the best thing for me to do was to stick with the subjects I knew I would enjoy and would help me in the future.

Ultimately, it's your choice. Do whatever you think will make you happy and you'll do well in. Good luck!
Original post by mrf13
Hi,

I'm about to go into Year 13 and am taking A levels in maths, biology and English lit. I also did an AS in chemistry this year, as well as doing general studies and an EPQ as it's compulsory to do both of these at my sixth form.

I found that doing 4 subjects as well as general studies and an EPQ was incredibly draining and I definitely wouldn't recommend it. I didn't have free periods and so had to do all my homework and revision outside of school while also trying to maintain a social life and hold down a part time job. We were also given no study leave by our sixth form as only a very small number of us were taking AS exams so I found it very difficult to handle the workload once it got to exam time and I ended up making myself really ill during the summer term.

I love English lit but find it very time-consuming. The amount of time and effort that has to be put into coursework is huge. I also don't like the fact that there's no strict right or wrong answer like in a subject like maths. A lot of people see STEM subjects as harder but personally, I've found English a lot more difficult than my other subjects. I found that there were crossovers between biology and chemistry, maths and chemistry, and maths and biology, but English was a completely different subject to all of my other ones.

I was in a similar position to you last year. I achieved full marks in my French GCSE and thought that it would be a waste to not take it forward to A level. However, in the end, I decided that the best thing for me to do was to stick with the subjects I knew I would enjoy and would help me in the future.

Ultimately, it's your choice. Do whatever you think will make you happy and you'll do well in. Good luck!

(Slightly off topic but) your sixth form made you take general studies? Like, no universities like that. It's not respected anywhere and blacklisted for many, how come it was compulsory?

Just curious. x
Reply 10
Hi, so I recently did my CIE AS levels in English Lit ( got an A!!)

There is very high amount of reading required for Lit at A-level, at AS level we were required to study and analyse in detail 27 poems and 12 short stories, on top of two Shakespeare plays. I did not take Lit at GCSE because I didnt take GCSEs (international student) but my friends who did Lit at IGCSE say that its extremely different from A-level. Lots of people who got A* at IGCSE ended up with Es for AS Lit.

The workload gets tougher in A-level, like a lot tougher. Im required to study (this depends on your exam board and what you pick) a novel and a Shakespeare play. For these, we are expected to read and study both those texts and outside critical opinions on those texts and incorporate them into our essays. So I basically have piles and piles and piles of academic opinions on things like the policing of sex in Measure for Measure and how Harriet Smith is an enigma, ON TOP OF our close analysis of both texts. I'm taking the paper ( Paper 7 ) where you are required to analyse texts that youve never seen before in your life, and that can be very tough and requires a very good grounding in your literary devices etc.

With your workload, I would say that it would better for you to focus on getting your A*s for your three main subjects.
Reply 11
Original post by FloralHybrid
(Slightly off topic but) your sixth form made you take general studies? Like, no universities like that. It's not respected anywhere and blacklisted for many, how come it was compulsory?

Just curious. x

I'm not actually sure why we're made to do it. The new Year 12s will have to study Critical Thinking instead of General Studies but it's still compulsory for them. We only have a lesson once a fortnight and I know that several of my friends have failed the AS level. I'm not sure but according to rumours, they'll be made to retake the AS next year instead of doing the A2. We haven't started back yet though so I don't actually know!x
Original post by lowza
Can you take it as an AS? That would be the best solution.

As a Lit student, I want to encourage you to take it (I've personally loved it so far!) but A Levels are HARD and you've picked 3 tough subjects already. You've already got your work cut out, I imagine it would be really difficult to take a heavy subject like Lit on top of it. If you're being set an essay a week for English (usually about 1,500 words long) including research and writing time, you will struggle to keep on top of your science work. You also need to think of the fact that you'll have an awful lot of reading to do which might take up your free periods and some of your holidays. I'd worry, for you, that you might be sacrificing A* grades in your other subjects if you take it.

That being said, if you feel as if you have the motivation and capability to keep up with the workload - having 4 subjects, especially one that is a bit of a contrast to your sciences, sets you apart from other candidates. It might also be nice to be doing something a bit different as well!

If you end up not taking it, you can always keep being an active reader and do creative writing in your spare time. There are other ways to keep your interest in it going!

I'd also like to say that A-Level English Lit is pretty different to GCSE - there is far more emphasis on historical context and literary criticism and theory. So, even if you enjoyed it at GCSE, it might not be your favourite at A-Level. Not to mention, the amount of texts you have to read more than quadruples.

What ever you choose, I hope you do well. Good luck sis X

Even though this was not for me, I definitely helped me because I want to pursue a career in CS and I love English so I've been debating if I should take it or not for A-level :frown:

Latest