Since AS tests are now in year 13 what will universities look at

Watch
Sonicalireza
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
What grades do they look at as personally if it's gcse I don't think they would be accurate representations for a persons "intelligence" for what they are now at 18 than 16
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What do you mean? The official AS exams are still taken at the end of year 12 which can then be used in the application process in the beginning if year 13.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Sonicalireza)
What grades do they look at as personally if it's gcse I don't think they would be accurate representations for a persons "intelligence" for what they are now at 18 than 16
Most applicants still take AS or mick AS exams in yr12
Your referee will need to provide information on what's been used to determine your predicted grades if you don't take AS exams.
lowza
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm only doing A2 so Unis will be looking at my GCSE results and my A2 predictions along with teacher references to determine my academic aptitude.

We also did mock exams at the end of this year, even though those results won't be going to Universities, its a good indication for our teachers to choose our predictions and what to write in our references.

PS. You are only just above a year older when you send your UCAS application, you do it at the start of Year 13 and not the end, so GCSEs are still a pretty good indicator of your intelligence.
Sonicalireza
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Most applicants still take AS or mick AS exams in yr12
Your referee will need to provide information on what's been used to determine your predicted grades if you don't take AS exams.
If I mess up on my AS and I am able to still take it in year 12 can I retake it in year 13?
Sonicalireza
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
What do you mean? The official AS exams are still taken at the end of year 12 which can then be used in the application process in the beginning if year 13.
I just finished year 11 and my teachers said my year (I think we may be the first year) take both AS and A2 at the end of year 13 none at year 12
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If I mess up on my AS and I am able to still take it in year 12 can I retake it in year 13?
That would be up to your school/college.

Any official AS grades (even multiple retakes) have to be declared on your ucas application.
Sonicalireza
Rep:
?
(Original post by lowza)

PS. You are only just above a year older when you send your UCAS application, you do it at the start of Year 13 and not the end, so GCSEs are still a pretty good indicator of your intelligence.
I mainly meant how the education changes in depth and how difficult it is compared to gcse and although this may not be a big difference maturity
lowza
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I mainly meant how the education changes in depth and how difficult it is compared to gcse and although this may not be a big difference maturity
True, but people who do well at GCSE tend to do well at A-Level. And if you did badly at GCSE, but improved at A Level, your predicted grades will show that.
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I just finished year 11 and my teachers said my year (I think we may be the first year) take both AS and A2 at the end of year 13 none at year 12
No they're wrong: the first year to do the new Linear A Levels (if that's what you mean) are the year 13 cohort who have just finished this year and got their results on 17th August (I.e first examinations in 2017) - I know this because I'm one of those year 13 students and my biology and chemistry exams were linear.

However, not all subjects have been reformed such as maths so in that respect your year is the first year where ALL subjects are reformed (to my knowledge).

Nevertheless AS exams still exist (however this is optional so not all schools do it) and they are taken at the end of year 12. You then use those AS grades on your UCAS application but the grades you get in them don't count towards your overall A Level (if linear). You then sit the full Linear A Level in year 13 for a fresh new grade.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (20)
28.17%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (7)
9.86%
No I am happy with my choice (40)
56.34%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (4)
5.63%

Watched Threads