The Student Room Group

Orderofthelotus goes to college (GYG)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by orderofthelotus
Gosh, percentage uncertainties... :rolleyes: And thank you, I hope I do settle into geography soon. Part of the reason why I miss my GCSE geography teacher is bc she knew how passionate I was about geography, and my new teacher doesn't. So when I struggle, I worry about what my attitude and aptitude (:ahee:) towards geography looks like to her while I wouldn't have that concern with my GCSE teacher bc she already knew I liked it and I was good at it. Also, my GCSE teacher had the cutest fashion sense and now all I see is rigid blazers so...

Idek why I took biology lmao. :rofl:

Thank you~ :hugs: And tell me when you get to S3E7, it's probably the best f*cking episode in the entire show. :ahee: I've been thinking about it all week.

Yeah, all the interesting stuff seems to be in the second year of physics. :ninja: And lmaoooooo we learnt about palaeomagnetism bc of it's contribution to the theory of plate tectonics. I learnt it real gud after being stumped for the first two evenings, so I'll explain it to ya real quick. :ahee:

So you know how the magnetism in a rock reflects the polarity of earth at the time of the rock's formation? Bc of how minerals "line up" with the earth's magnetic field at the time, which switches polarity every 400,000 years or so.

With the use of sonar technology in the 1950s, rock with alternating bands of polarity was found on the seafloor, where mid-ocean ridges were forming. This provided evidence that new crust was being formed.

This crust had to come from somewhere, so a new question was posed. Thus palaeomagnetism helped deepen our understanding of the earth's structure and provided evidence for the theory of plate tectonics.

Pretty cool, huh? :sexface:

Aaaand the doc prescribed over-the-counter drugs first, we'll see if that'll help. The main beef with my condition is the freak temperature rise - last Friday it was up to 38 degrees Celsius. With sky-high temperatures come AWFUL body aches, nausea, and all the other sh*t I got, so the doc said the first thing we should try is something that will try to control the body temperature. He then prescribed me Ibuprofen lmao. I didn't know that helped lower temperatures. I always took paracetamol for my fevers but this is different from a fever so the only thing we can do is wait and see~

xD aw I see :hugs: I think you'll be alright after a week or two :smile:

:laugh:

Will do :yy:
Gosh, percentage uncertainties... :rolleyes: And thank you, I hope I do settle into geography soon. Part of the reason why I miss my GCSE geography teacher is bc she knew how passionate I was about geography, and my new teacher doesn't. So when I struggle, I worry about what my attitude and aptitude (:ahee:) towards geography looks like to her while I wouldn't have that concern with my GCSE teacher bc she already knew I liked it and I was good at it. Also, my GCSE teacher had the cutest fashion sense and now all I see is rigid blazers so...

Idek why I took biology lmao. :rofl:

Thank you~ :hugs: And tell me when you get to S3E7, it's probably the best f*cking episode in the entire show. :ahee: I've been thinking about it all week.

Yeah, all the interesting stuff seems to be in the second year of physics. :ninja: And lmaoooooo we learnt about palaeomagnetism bc of it's contribution to the theory of plate tectonics. I learnt it real gud after being stumped for the first two evenings, so I'll explain it to ya real quick. :ahee:

So you know how the magnetism in a rock reflects the polarity of earth at the time of the rock's formation? Bc of how minerals "line up" with the earth's magnetic field at the time, which switches polarity every 400,000 years or so.

With the use of sonar technology in the 1950s, rock with alternating bands of polarity was found on the seafloor, where mid-ocean ridges were forming. This provided evidence that new crust was being formed.

This crust had to come from somewhere, so a new question was posed. Thus palaeomagnetism helped deepen our understanding of the earth's structure and provided evidence for the theory of plate tectonics.

Pretty cool, huh? :sexface:

Aaaand the doc prescribed over-the-counter drugs first, we'll see if that'll help. The main beef with my condition is the freak temperature rise - last Friday it was up to 38 degrees Celsius. With sky-high temperatures come AWFUL body aches, nausea, and all the other sh*t I got, so the doc said the first thing we should try is something that will try to control the body temperature. He then prescribed me Ibuprofen lmao. I didn't know that helped lower temperatures. I always took paracetamol for my fevers but this is different from a fever so the only thing we can do is wait and see~

Yeah that's what I learned in geology, still pretty bizarre that its in geography (did geography as well) though I might've been taught a different section, did learn about continental drift etc. but no way near as indepth as geology. Other weird things that I learned in geology were how meteorites and earthquakes also gave evidence to the current structure of the earth and other sources of evidence to continental drift like the geology history of the UK.

As far as I'm aware temperature rises tend to be associated with the body trying to kill off an infection, not sure what it does with this case. I think that the ibuprofen suppresses your body's reaction to the condition so that it doesn't create these temperature rises.

Also R&M episode 8 is out, need to watch S2 as I skipped that and I decided to watch parts of the new season. Need to find a legitimate site where I can watch it because my uni when I go back blocks a certain game which I need to ask for access to by being removed from some list but results in me being on higher priority watch for stuff like torrents.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Vikingninja
Yeah that's what I learned in geology, still pretty bizarre that its in geography (did geography as well) though I might've been taught a different section, did learn about continental drift etc. but no way near as indepth as geology. Other weird things that I learned in geology were how meteorites and earthquakes also gave evidence to the current structure of the earth and other sources of evidence to continental drift like the geology history of the UK.

As far as I'm aware temperature rises tend to be associated with the body trying to kill off an infection, not sure what it does with this case. I think that the ibuprofen suppresses your body's reaction to the condition so that it doesn't create these temperature rises.

Also R&M episode 8 is out, need to watch S2 as I skipped that and I decided to watch parts of the new season. Need to find a legitimate site where I can watch it because my uni when I go back blocks a certain game which I need to ask for access to by being removed from some list but results in me being on higher priority watch for stuff like torrents.

Our teachers sometimes throw some stretching and challenging stuff in there without telling us, but I do think palaeomagnetism is legitimately part of the Edexcel geography spec. Plate tectonics is a big part of physics geography so I see why we're learning about it. Also meteorites coooooooool. :O

Dysmenorrhea is a menstruation disorder, I'm not sure how infections and temperature rises correlate with that. :/ Also I went super early - this was the second event before I went to the docs so I don't even know if it was just a coincidence or if it is bc of menstruation, but it'll all work out eventually with time and enough doctor consultations.

Ah, my brother's got a Netflix account so yeah. Don't risk it lol episode 7 was incredible but it's not worth being on a watch list. Season 3 was a rollercoaster, there were some completely mediocre episodes to some mildly amusing ones, to some at the usual amazing standard, and then some like episode 7 that have me thinking about the show the entire week.
Update 21/09/2017

Maths:

Maths is so much fun now that I have a good teacher and learning isn't rushed and nobody is constantly drilling "BIG BAD SCARY REFORMS" into our heads anymore. I mean, I'll have to worry about exams soon but right now it's just fun.

I know I called my teacher a cow on my first day but she didn't turn out to be that awful at all. I have a lot of respect for her now actually, I think she's an excellent teacher.

We've been working on graphs, which was my worst nightmare last year but I'm getting comfy with them now. We practiced finding turning points, sketching quadratic graphs and finding points of intersection on quadratic (and touched on harder) graphs. I.e we went over completing the square, the quadratic formula, factorising quadratics and simultaneous equations with quadratics and learnt about what those look like on graphs. Not a huge step up from GCSE at all.

Physics:

My teacher is such a meme gosh.

It's going okay, but physics is a honeypot site for silly mistakes.

It's a little boring - we're doing things like learning about the order of magnitude and uncertainties in measurements... I came to learn about mechanics, stars and uranium... but I appreciate these are foundations so it's all good.

Geography:

My A* at GCSE feels so worthless - it's really difficult and I already know my exam technique is going to take a LOT of work. I'm starting to think the GCSE reforms weren't such a bad idea: maybe the maths I'm doing is so much fun bc I'm already familiar with most of what is being taught so it's just a bit of consolidation. Geography, which I didn't sit a reformed exam for, is proving to be a lot more difficult at A-Level.

Despite that, the content is still very interesting and enjoyable and I don't plan on dropping. I just need to get better. We're doing plate tectonics currently, which is something I did at GCSE so I can reuse a couple case studies but I need a lot more. There's also quite a lot more concepts and theory I need to get my head around - last week I really struggled with understanding palaeomagnetism, and this week I'm kind of struggling to see the connections between each of my lessons.

I miss my GCSE geography teacher so much. :cry2: My current teacher is great, Cambridge-educated and all, but still. I kinda miss the familiarity of secondary entirely, actually. For the most part, anyway.

Biology:

rip

much understand but much boring

should've taken economics

almost certain this one will get the drop before year 13

General:

Got diagnosed with dysmenorrhea after last week's health events so that's... gud? Since doctors around here are usually really unhelpful until you're on your deathbed. I'm not a kid anymore so I giggled uncomfortably throughout the entire check up, and cracked up entirely when the doc said bismillah before dropping the end of the stethoscope down my top.

S3E7 Rick and Morty, that is all.

Tags:

@_gcx @Sonechka @DeepInTheMeadow @AryanGh @num.7 @Vikingninja @bobby147 @CheeseIsVeg

Biology A-level is awful,lots of memorisation,the information taught is confusing and it does not really connect together.
I studied it for two years and all I got to show for all the hours I put in is a measly B:angry:.
Nice to see you enjoy maths :smile:.
Its good to know you got conditioned.Does your dysmenorrhea have an underlying cause or is none known :redface:?
Rick and morty seems real popular and my sister watches it,what do you like about it do you mind ?
Lol at doctor ,did he/she think what they were doing was sinful/wrong :lol:?
(edited 6 years ago)
Our teachers sometimes throw some stretching and challenging stuff in there without telling us, but I do think palaeomagnetism is legitimately part of the Edexcel geography spec. Plate tectonics is a big part of physics geography so I see why we're learning about it. Also meteorites coooooooool. :O

Dysmenorrhea is a menstruation disorder, I'm not sure how infections and temperature rises correlate with that. :/ Also I went super early - this was the second event before I went to the docs so I don't even know if it was just a coincidence or if it is bc of menstruation, but it'll all work out eventually with time and enough doctor consultations.

Ah, my brother's got a Netflix account so yeah. Don't risk it lol episode 7 was incredible but it's not worth being on a watch list. Season 3 was a rollercoaster, there were some completely mediocre episodes to some mildly amusing ones, to some at the usual amazing standard, and then some like episode 7 that have me thinking about the show the entire week.

Yeah I had edexcel as well, the exams have 4 sections but you will only get taught 2 of them, one physical and one human, do you know the ones you are learning? With meteorites the main source is the asteroid belt which is believed to be a failed planet, makes sense since its a ring and there are 3 types of meteorites, 2 correspond to parts of the interior of a planet and the 3rd is some nonsense rare one which we don't talk about.

Not sure what happened but I heard that Rick and Morty is no longer being provided for free or something so unless I watch some crap version on YT which is at irritating 1.15x speed, inverted and is a quarter of the size of the video with the other 3/4 being some weird background then I need to pay for it. Seen half of S3 currently but barely seen 2. Newest one is also great since its just weird nonsense.
Original post by bobby147
Biology A-level is awful,lots of memorisation,the information taught is confusing and it does not really connect together.
I studied it for two years and all I got to show for all the hours I put in is a measly B:angry:.
Nice to see you enjoy maths :smile:.
Its good to know you got conditioned.Does your dysmenorrhea have an underlying cause or is none known :redface:?

Thor, biology is so boring. I really have no clue why I even took it.

I got it diagnosed today and there's only been two episodes of the high temperatures and awful pain so not much is known right now. I'm always super early about these things so if it were anything serious, hopefully we'll catch on before it progresses. :h:
Rick and morty seems real popular and my sister watches it,what do you like about it do you mind ?
Yeah I had edexcel as well, the exams have 4 sections but you will only get taught 2 of them, one physical and one human, do you know the ones you are learning? With meteorites the main source is the asteroid belt which is believed to be a failed planet, makes sense since its a ring and there are 3 types of meteorites, 2 correspond to parts of the interior of a planet and the 3rd is some nonsense rare one which we don't talk about.

Not sure what happened but I heard that Rick and Morty is no longer being provided for free or something so unless I watch some crap version on YT which is at irritating 1.15x speed, inverted and is a quarter of the size of the video with the other 3/4 being some weird background then I need to pay for it. Seen half of S3 currently but barely seen 2. Newest one is also great since its just weird nonsense.

:O That's so cool. I'm much interest in space lol

It's a sci-fi cartoon comedy, what's there not to like? :lol: I really like Morty as a character, and there's some plot which I won't really talk about bc spoilers, but the suspense is wild, esp bc they only get on with plot for one episode per blue moon. The humour can be offensive, so it's not for everyone. But I love it and look forward to it every week lmao.

And lmao ofc not, bismillah just means "in the name of God". A doctor's job is never wrong lmao. I just thought it was funny lmao.

It's a sci-fi cartoon comedy, what's there not to like? :lol: I really like Morty as a character, and there's some plot which I won't really talk about bc spoilers, but the suspense is wild, esp bc they only get on with plot for one episode per blue moon. The humour can be offensive, so it's not for everyone. But I love it and look forward to it every week lmao.

And lmao ofc not, bismillah just means "in the name of God". A doctor's job is never wrong lmao. I just thought it was funny lmao.

Oh ok,alright :smile:.
How is HTML going ?
I think I am getting the hang of it.
Oh ok,alright :smile:.
How is HTML going ?
I think I am getting the hang of it.

On hold until I figure out what the f*ck is going on with college lmao. Lotsa work.

I've gotten down the basics, attributes, elements and tags, block and inline elements, but that's about it. Got stuck on boolean attributes and I don't remember what that was all about lmao but when I return, I'll figure it out. :yy:

Also gotta familiarise myself with Notepad++ before I start again, I haven't touched that since it's been installed. :colondollar:

I also did an EPQ on the possibility of planetary colonisation, you thinking of doing one in 2nd year?
I also did an EPQ on the possibility of planetary colonisation, you thinking of doing one in 2nd year?

Not sure if my college will be offering it. If they do, sure, but I haven't given it very much thought at all yet.
Not sure if my college will be offering it. If they do, sure, but I haven't given it very much thought at all yet.

Think they would considering the strict grade requirements.
Think they would considering the strict grade requirements.

I don't think they do, I haven't heard them discuss it very much at all. :/ Plus we have ~super curriculum~ so maybe they're more focused on enrichment and building a personal statement than qualifications. Super curricular activities are assessed. I'm currently doing a history one where I have to write an hour-long essay at the end.
I don't think they do, I haven't heard them discuss it very much at all. :/ Plus we have ~super curriculum~ so maybe they're more focused on enrichment and building a personal statement than qualifications. Super curricular activities are assessed. I'm currently doing a history one where I have to write an hour-long essay at the end.

I didn't get told about the EPQ till end of the first year since we start A2 in the last 6 weeks. Would say the EPQ is more about the personal statement than having an extra qualification since you can talk about skills gained and your interest in your course.
I didn't get told about the EPQ till end of the first year since we start A2 in the last 6 weeks. Would say the EPQ is more about the personal statement than having an extra qualification since you can talk about skills gained and your interest in your course.

Maybe we might have the opportunity then. I ought to start putting some thought into what I want it to be about.
Maybe we might have the opportunity then. I ought to start putting some thought into what I want it to be about.

Would ask if they offer it and if so when you start it, for me I did all my research over the holiday (and partially over my first month back) and people changed their titles during it. My title I chose within 5 minutes of learning what the EPQ was during the introduction for it and didn't alter it in any way though I did change what I was planning on finding for it.
Oh my god. I know this isn't talking about this thread but omg @orderofthelotus YOUR NAME!! :shock:.

Absolute legend :congrats::party2:

Seeing your username took me back like 10 years! :lol::lol::lol: Loved avatar so much.
Original post by Oscar1602
Oh my god. I know this isn't talking about this thread but omg @orderofthelotus YOUR NAME!! :shock:.

Absolute legend :congrats::party2:

Seeing your username took me back like 10 years! :lol::lol::lol: Loved avatar so much.

I LOVE IT WHEN PEOPLE GET THE REFERENCE I LOVE ATLA

Would ask if they offer it and if so when you start it, for me I did all my research over the holiday (and partially over my first month back) and people changed their titles during it. My title I chose within 5 minutes of learning what the EPQ was during the introduction for it and didn't alter it in any way though I did change what I was planning on finding for it.

Noice, noice. On top of that, I'd have to find out exactly what EPQs are all about and what's involved - they just sound like coursework of your choice to me right now. :lol:
I LOVE IT WHEN PEOPLE GET THE REFERENCE I LOVE ATLA

Noice, noice. On top of that, I'd have to find out exactly what EPQs are all about and what's involved - they just sound like coursework of your choice to me right now. :lol:

Simple description is that you create a title which is a question and you have to research into that question and create a 5000 word report (mine was 8500 after trimming) or 1000 word report with an artifact and present your findings in a presentation. There's a lot involved like a review log and tracking your progress. Don't do the common thing on here of asking people for straight up examples of questions because you aren't going to be as enthusiastic as finding something which you want to. It got pretty stressful for me but when I got past the collection of my research it actually became very interesting.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending