The Student Room Group

Choosing sixth form college help?

*Edit: posted in wrong forum by accident can a mod move to A Level forum pls? soz*

Hi guys,
So firstly I'm choosing between two local schools, one is a girls only and the other has a mixed sixth form but is primarily a boys' grammar.

The girls' school has been my school since year 7, so a lot of my friends and classmates are staying on and the teachers will know me well enough to give a decent letter of recommendation. But it's also very starved of money (contrary to popular belief most grammar schools are not well funded - gov thinks as long as the grades are gotten, the school doesn't need funds which, to me, is some A* labour ********, but I digress...): this one girl got her textbook in two halves cause it fell apart from ten years of use or smth. The opportunities there are also much less especially for engineering which is what I might want to go in to.

I have in fact already accepted a place at the mixed sixth form, but I'm getting cold feet from remembering guys I know from there - they weren't annoying as much as completely not my type of person I like to interact with.

In the mixed sixth form I'm worried about leaving my friends and teachers behind - they've supported me and I know who I can trust. Also I'm not the biggest fan of most teenage boys and their tendency for a lack of empathy/tact/maturity but maybe that's just a stereotype from the ppl I know from that school. Still, I really would like to stay on in my old school for the all-girls aspect and my friends, but the mixed sixth form has better funding and opportunities for engineering competitions. They also do slightly better in A levels and I suspect, have better teachers (for instance a physics teacher who declined an offer to lecture at a certain prestigious university). But the competition there is much more fierce, though I got all A* in my GCSEs, about 5 people in their year also had the same grades. I would like to represent the school for team competitions in engineering and maths, but it looks like being picked might be tough.

Your thoughts?
(my subjects are all sciences, maths and FM)
(edited 6 years ago)
You'll do well wherever you go as long as you put the work in. I was in the same situation last year and chose to stay on because I knew all the teachers I was going to be getting.
Reply 2
Original post by xxFreyaWxx
You'll do well wherever you go as long as you put the work in. I was in the same situation last year and chose to stay on because I knew all the teachers I was going to be getting.

I wholly agree with that, and I know plenty of people who are staying on because they think it too. However the truth is that the 'physics department' at my current school is comprised of one decent teacher and another mediocre teacher. 'Physics society' is literally just the physics prefects talking to an empty classroom, and you can forget entering any competitions bc no one will want to enter with you in a girls' school. I can't promise it'll be any better at the mixed school but I'm aiming for Cambridge or MIT and there is no way I will get in unless there's some extra curricular record...
Original post by lostpenny
*Edit: posted in wrong forum by accident can a mod move to A Level forum pls? soz*

Hi guys,
So firstly I'm choosing between two local schools, one is a girls only and the other has a mixed sixth form but is primarily a boys' grammar.

The girls' school has been my school since year 7, so a lot of my friends and classmates are staying on and the teachers will know me well enough to give a decent letter of recommendation. But it's also very starved of money (contrary to popular belief most grammar schools are not well funded - gov thinks as long as the grades are gotten, the school doesn't need funds which, to me, is some A* labour ********, but I digress...): this one girl got her textbook in two halves cause it fell apart from ten years of use or smth. The opportunities there are also much less especially for engineering which is what I might want to go in to.

I have in fact already accepted a place at the mixed sixth form, but I'm getting cold feet from remembering guys I know from there - they weren't annoying as much as completely not my type of person I like to interact with.

In the mixed sixth form I'm worried about leaving my friends and teachers behind - they've supported me and I know who I can trust. Also I'm not the biggest fan of most teenage boys and their tendency for a lack of empathy/tact/maturity but maybe that's just a stereotype from the ppl I know from that school. Still, I really would like to stay on in my old school for the all-girls aspect and my friends, but the mixed sixth form has better funding and opportunities for engineering competitions. They also do slightly better in A levels and I suspect, have better teachers (for instance a physics teacher who declined an offer to lecture at a certain prestigious university). But the competition there is much more fierce, though I got all A* in my GCSEs, about 5 people in their year also had the same grades. I would like to represent the school for team competitions in engineering and maths, but it looks like being picked might be tough.

Your thoughts?
(my subjects are all sciences, maths and FM)

I go to an all girls sixth form and I find it such a chilled out environment, I couldn't imagine school life with loads of boys around because I think it would just be a distraction. So my head wants to advise you to go to the girls school if you're unsure about a lot of the people going to the mixed school. But obviously if you think your education will be compromised by doing so then don't, although judging by your fabulous GCSE's I don't think it would be. Honestly only you know what's right, go wherever you'll feel the happiest :smile:
Reply 4
Also I'm not the biggest fan of most teenage boys and their tendency for a lack of empathy/tact/maturity but maybe that's just a stereotype from the ppl I know from that school

Oh come on, most people go to mixed gender six forms and they have no problem with the other gender, so this is a trivial problem.

Imaturity is something that you find accross both genders. Perhaps you may need to learn to deal with the other gender as that is what you will ulitmately do when you leave six form.
Reply 5
Original post by stoyfan
Oh come on, most people go to mixed gender six forms and they have no problem with the other gender, so this is a trivial problem.

Imaturity is something that you find accross both genders. Perhaps you may need to learn to deal with the other gender as that is what you will ulitmately do when you leave six form.

Well guys *generally* take a few years of catching up maturity-wise to girls.... you can see it in their work ethic for sure. by uni most of them have lost the immaturity that leads to them pulling **** in class like standing on tables while reciting Caesar's speech when the teacher leaves the classroom. I've seen several guys from that school comment on girls' instagrams like 'ur ugly' and they even have a group DM across the cohort dedicated to criticising girls' looks because they are boring ********s with no life so... forgive me for having reservations?
(edited 6 years ago)
Ngl did not read the entire passage.
I mean transport comes into play but more travel to a better place is worth it.
Imo it doesn't matter too much where you go if you put the independent work in, schools have %s of A*s to C but I only care about me. So I would primarily focus on the teachers for your subject, how approachable they are and how good they are in your experience. With the place you do not know about, try speak to people who have had these teachers to have a good idea
Reply 7
Original post by EmilySarah00
I go to an all girls sixth form and I find it such a chilled out environment, I couldn't imagine school life with loads of boys around because I think it would just be a distraction. So my head wants to advise you to go to the girls school if you're unsure about a lot of the people going to the mixed school. But obviously if you think your education will be compromised by doing so then don't, although judging by your fabulous GCSE's I don't think it would be. Honestly only you know what's right, go wherever you'll feel the happiest :smile:

Yeah it was so chill in my old school. The more I think about my choices the more I don't really know. I loved the atmosphere at my old school; it gave me every chance to feel confident in my abilities. I am certain my grades won't be compromised, but my extracurriculars may be if I stayed on.
Reply 8
Well guys *generally* take a few years of catching up maturity-wise to girls.... you can see it in their work ethic for sure. by uni most of them have lost the immaturity that leads to them pulling **** in class like standing on tables while reciting Caesar's speech when the teacher leaves the classroom. I've seen several guys from that school comment on girls' instagrams like 'ur ugly' and they even have a group DM across the cohort dedicated to criticising girls' looks because they are boring ********s with no life so... forgive me for having reservations?

Perhaps you should not talk to people who you don't like.

Also, how do you know tell that boys are immature due to their work ethic if you don't even go to a mixed school?
Reply 9
Original post by stoyfan
Perhaps you should not talk to people who you don't like.

Also, how do you know tell that boys are immature due to their work ethic if you don't even go to a mixed school?

Our school is very close with the boys' school, so loads of people know each other. Also there's a reason why the girls' school has always done better in GCSEs on average (because they work harder at GCSE). At A level, the guys buckle down especially in year 13 and actually do work and it shows - they usually get better results then (I'm talking general statistics here).
Also literally all my guy friends from that school stayed up until 11pm on GCSE exam nights playing League so....
(edited 6 years ago)
Our school is very close with the boys' school, so loads of people know each other. Also there's a reason why the girls' school has always done better in GCSEs on average (because they work harder at GCSE). At A level, the guys buckle down especially in year 13 and actually do work and it shows - they usually get better results then (I'm talking general statistics here).
Also literally all my guy friends from that school stayed up until 11pm on GCSE exam nights playing League so....

Then hang out with the people who works hard in your mixed school. It is that simple.

It seems that you are so concerned with the statistics, so go to the school which has better results (which is the mixed school).
Reply 11
Original post by stoyfan
Then hang out with the people who works hard in your mixed school. It is that simple.

It seems that you are so concerned with the statistics, so go to the school which has better results (which is the mixed school).

I am not one bit concerned about the statistics - the difference is slight. The point I was making is illustrated through example so please don't think that any sort of statement or figure applies universally. My fear is with the unknown as everyone has a subjective take on a school experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending