The Student Room Group

What is life like in Sixth form compared to Year 11?

I want to know.
I have just finished year 12 and am going in to year 13, I can safely say year 12 was the best year in education I have ever had and it is mainly down to FREE PERIODS, honestly I don't know how I coped without them, I spend about half my frees working and the other half relaxing / going out for food with pals ahaha. Classes are also much more enjoyable in sixth form, teachers respect you more and you're more likely to get along and joke around with them, class sizes also tend to be smaller which makes lessons much more chilled out and everyone seems to get on more. Honestly it's great I'm sure you'll really enjoy it.

EDIT: I realise I made sixth form sound like it's all just fun and games, it's really not, the work load is large but also very different to that of GCSE because you have more work for a lesser amount of subjects. That being said since you selected your subjects you should enjoy the work more because you should no longer be doing subjects you don't enjoy. As long as you keep on the ball you'll have a fab time
(edited 6 years ago)
Everyones experience is different but I moved to a sixth form college specifically doing A levels and thought there was a lot less emphasis on forming large friendship groups and an obsession with 'popularity'. People were so much more career minded and really started to get there head down and work :smile:
I'd also like to know- but I expect very similar just with more work.

(I'm about to go into year twelve)

I get the impression that if you didn't have to work for GCSEs but still got 10 A*s, you might get a surprise because you will definitely have to work for A levels. There's also a lot more emphasis on understanding rather than memory I think.

Correct me if I'm wrong, this is just the impression I got from trawling through TSR advice threads :-).

Edit: bad spelling :-/
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Agent456
I want to know.

Just finished Sixth Form.

Other than the exam periods where everything gets a bit intense if you did not start revising at a reasonable time. During the year however it is pretty chill, I mean I did history and you had to write essays at home a bit more often than gcse but law and maths had little homework.
We played games in frees until they were all blocked, then ping pong, then we just chatted. Only worked in them as exams cropped up.
I would not say the content is that much harder, there is just a lot more of it. I would say for subjects such as law and history that there is an awful lot to remember. For subjects such as maths and physics it is the content that is harder.
You need to work at A-Level irrespective of GCSEs. I'm not gonna lie I don't enjoy sixth form one bit (Going into Y13) It's just so much work and stress and not great mental-health wise! But I mean, it depends what you study, where you go and what suits you to be honest. Loads of my friends love all the different places they go, just hasn't worked out like that for me! Best of luck x
I want to know.

The same just more sadness
I want to know.

Teachers treat you like a normal person and bring food and drink in
I want to know.

A Level's and GCSE's are totally different, the workload for sixth form is much much higher than GCSE. You should definitely use your frees to do the work you need to and as well as this make revision notes as you go along, this makes it easier when doing your exams at the end. But this doesn't mean that you have to always do work remember it is good to take breaks as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending