What Are The Benefits of Privatising the NHS Watch

This discussion is closed.
DocWho49
Badges: 19
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
All I ever hea about the NHS is how good it is and how bad it is to privatise it, but I'm sure there are a lot of people who think it's good to privatise it, well of course there is because conservative have a lot of voters. What I would like to know is, why make such an effort to get rid of the NHS, it's an amazing service that provide a free healthcare service to everyone. Why would anyone want to get rid of this I'm really not sure. Please let me know the reasons
I got the power
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
None whatsoever, anything to do with someone's good health should never be profited from.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The theory is that private business is more efficient than the government at delivering public services and the drive to increase profit means that waste is reduced. In reality, the drive to increase profit means that private companies try to get away with whatever they can. They are also only interested in doing the easy stuff leaving the complex treatments like cancer etc to the NHS. But the NHS can't do this if everything has been stripped away so everyone loses.

In my mind the argument against privatisation is simple. With the exception of telecoms where true competition exists, I can't think of one public service that is better (for the consumer) now than it was when before it was privatised. Not one. Sure, they have been a resounding success for the investor, but not for the paying consumer.
Sameerio
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Saves the government money really. The cost of spending it on NHS could be redirected to somewhere like the
infrastructure, education etc
Dot.Cotton
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
1) So the hard working taxpayer doesn't have to shell out for the lazy and jobless.

2) Creates friendly competition between providers, leading to better quality of care all round.

3) The government will have more money to spend on matters such as immigration, the Armed Forces, and border control.

4) Gives people more incentive to work hard so that they can afford the insurance.

5) The NHS has gone to the dogs - long waiting lists, poor quality of care, run down hospitals, overrun with migrants.
Grassflow
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by I got the power)
None whatsoever, anything to do with someone's good health should never be profited from.
Where do you think the NHS gets its drugs from? Not an NHS factory, they spend billions of pounds on drugs from private companies; people's good health is already profited from every second, this is not a good argument for not privatising the NHS. If the NHS were private, so much more funding would be available from whatever amount of private companies who bought it out.
I got the power
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Dot.Cotton)
1) So the hard working taxpayer doesn't have to shell out for the lazy and jobless.

2) Creates friendly competition between providers, leading to better quality of care all round.

3) The government will have more money to spend on matters such as immigration, the Armed Forces, and border control.

4) Gives people more incentive to work hard so that they can afford the insurance.

5) The NHS has gone to the dogs - long waiting lists, poor quality of care, run down hospitals, overrun with migrants.
So as far as you're concerned, if you fall critically ill through no fault of your end and your insurance won't cover it, it doesn't matter if you die?
Nerry
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
They will regret it as soon as someone in their family has a heart attack and they realise just how much an angioplasty or MRI costs...
Grassflow
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So as far as you're concerned, if you fall critically ill through no fault of your end and your insurance won't cover it, it doesn't matter if you die?
Why wouldn't your insurance cover it if it's no fault of your own? That's the point of insurance.

(Original post by Nerry)
They will regret it as soon as someone in their family has a heart attack and they realise just how much an angioplasty or MRI costs...
That's why you get get health insurance and pay it every month, nobody is asking patients to shell out thousands upfront for scans and everything else.
I got the power
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Grassflow)
Why wouldn't your insurance cover it if it's no fault of your own? That's the point of insurance.

That's why you get get health insurance and pay it every month, nobody is asking patients to shell out thousands upfront for scans and everything else.
My mum has been out of work due to disability caused by an accident, and more recently required an operation on her gall bladder. Do you think someone living off disability benefits because they physically cannot work should have to pay for an essential operation even if it means selling their house?
DocWho49
(Original post by Nerry)
Thing is, the peple who are for it tend to have the money to afford it without a second thought. Not speaking for them all, but it's usually the case as far as I am aware.
DocWho49
My mum has been out of work due to disability caused by an accident, and more recently required an operation on her gall bladder. Do you think someone living off disability benefits because they physically cannot work should have to pay for an essential operation even if it means selling their house?
This is one of my main worries. Hope your mum is okay btw.
I got the power
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DocWho49)
This is one of my main worries. Hope your mum is okay btw.
:yes:
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DocWho49)
All I ever hea about the NHS is how good it is and how bad it is to privatise it, but I'm sure there are a lot of people who think it's good to privatise it, well of course there is because conservative have a lot of voters. What I would like to know is, why make such an effort to get rid of the NHS, it's an amazing service that provide a free healthcare service to everyone. Why would anyone want to get rid of this I'm really not sure. Please let me know the reasons
The Conservatives are not attempting to "privatise the NHS".

At any rate, every other country in the world seems to survive without an NHS. Eg, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, European countries etc.
DocWho49
(Original post by Chief Wiggum)

At any rate, every other country in the world seems to survive without an NHS. Eg, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, European countries etc.
That's what makes Great Britain great
JammieDodger27
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You could pay health insurance for the price and chance of your future treatment ( plus a nice profit for the insurance company). Or you could pay tax for treatment (minus the profit for an insurance company).

The counter argument is that we should privatise the NHS because then you'll pay less to the insurance company than you will in tax because the insurance company will only cover healthy people who have a smaller chance of requiring treatment.
I got the power
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Chief Wiggum)

Funny that, as I could have sworn I'd read an article somewhere highlighting the merits of Canada's equivalent to the NHS, in comparison to ours, stating that Canada's government spends more on healthcare.
Bill Nye
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The big businesses get money and the people who need it most won't be able to afford it.
dickwhittington
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Depends on how you want to define "privatized"

Do we mean;
a) Government pays private companies to run NHS services, like it does for some services currently but maintaining the single payer model of NI contributions/tax etc
b) Government just steps out of healthcare all together and leaves it completely to the free market, pretty much implementing the need for private health insurance
Model A could work but would probably end up costing a lot more to deliver the same level of service due to the profit motive of a private company. Some would argue that it would reduce waste and be more efficient but in practice, I think most people see it normally means falling standards and cut corners.

Model B just would not get off the ground among the voters, even among Tory voters I would imagine, It would probably take decades if not centuries of neglecting the health service for people to even imagine it as a viable option
mojojojo101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Dot.Cotton)

You do realise the whole point in I stance is that lots of people pay so that a few can receive medical treatment they otherwise couldn't afford?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are cats selfish

Yes (139)
61.23%
No (88)
38.77%

Watched Threads