Simbaa
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello everyone, I had an enquiry about additional sciences.

I am currently on a gap year after completing my A-Levels. I did Humanity A-Levels but I decided I want to do Medicine now.

The only thing stopping me from doing Medicine is the fact that I have Double Science (for which I got A*A) rather than triple for GCSE. I have talked to a university and they said they will accept me as long as I am able to do additional sciences.

I wanted to know what Additional Sciences exactly are and how I can go about doing this independently.
Eulogy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would assume they mean the further additional science units, ie. B3, C3, P3. so if you google the spec for any of the three sciences (biology, chemistry, physics), the unit 3 of those courses are the parts covered in the further additional science. Unit 1 is the single science, and unit 2 is the additional science (Double science is the unit 1 and the unit 2). For some exam boards though, they have it in a strange way where it goes up to 7, but we'll ignore that.
Simbaa
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Eulogy)
I would assume they mean the further additional science units, ie. B3, C3, P3. so if you google the spec for any of the three sciences (biology, chemistry, physics), the unit 3 of those courses are the parts covered in the further additional science. Unit 1 is the single science, and unit 2 is the additional science (Double science is the unit 1 and the unit 2). For some exam boards though, they have it in a strange way where it goes up to 7, but we'll ignore that.
Oh I see, thanks for that!

I did my Edexcel Gcses for sciences in 2014 and I heard that they do not that spec anymore so would that mean that I would have to take all the papers again in order to get triple science or is there a way I can still just do the unit 3 parts?

Thanks
thegalaxy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Simbaa)
Oh I see, thanks for that!

I did my Edexcel Gcses for sciences in 2014 and I heard that they do not that spec anymore so would that mean that I would have to take all the papers again in order to get triple science or is there a way I can still just do the unit 3 parts?

Thanks
No. You can no longer sit the old specification.

You will have to study the entire new 9-1 specs for each of Biology, Chemistry and Physics and get 3 new GCSEs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
14.69%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.59%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
4.9%
I need help with my personal statement (58)
40.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
25.17%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.1%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
6.99%

Watched Threads