Labour will avoid cliff edge Brexit

Watch
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Labour explicitly backs single market, customs union membership and free movement during the transition.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...P=share_btn_tw

Labour are now the party for a stable economy as apposed to the reckless Tories and their hard Brexit cliff edge they want to take us over.

For a strong stable economy, the choice is clear, VOTE LABOUR. :yeah: :awesome:
Bjornhattan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think we need to have single market as a transitional step, but we should free ourselves from Europe long term. The EU is going to come tumbling down due to the diverging economies across the bloc, and we need to be away from the single market at that point. But rather than a cliff edge Brexit, we should go for a more gradual approach. No point cutting our nose off in one fell swoop.

I also like the way Labour are approaching Brexit. I'm a hard Brexiter and from a stereotypical Leave area. Yet Labour did better here than ever (I voted for them despite thinking I would never early in the campaign - in part because of Corbyn's approach to Brexit). Labour are able to have a Brexit that suits everyone - not hard enough to cause a sharp shock to the economy now, but hopefully not soft enough to crash our economy when the EU goes pop.
username1799249
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If the EU falls, we fall regardless of whether we are in and out. It is in our interest to ensure the EU remains stable.
Maker
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Its not up to the UK govt which brexit we get, its the EU.
ChiggenLiggen
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hard brexit soft brexit and now cliff edge brexit, dear god what next?? Soft boiled brexit, fried brexit, steamed brexit, boiled brexit?????
meenu89
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There is no 'hard' or 'soft' Brexit, there is just Brexit.
crosssafley
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ChiggenLiggen)
Hard brexit soft brexit and now cliff edge brexit, dear god what next?? Soft boiled brexit, fried brexit, steamed brexit, boiled brexit?????
Kentucky fried brexit
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by meenu89)
Exactly. Either in the EU, or not in the EU. Not half-in, half-out like it's the hokey-cokey.
Maker
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I can't believe its not brexit.
username402722
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
We should have a vote on the terms of the deal. It is not too late to change our minds, and if more young people had bothered to vote, we would not have voted for this act of economic self-harm in the first place.
username2080673
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Exactly. Either in the EU, or not in the EU. Not half-in, half-out like it's the hokey-cokey.
I wouldn't be so sure. I'd consider the EEA/EFTA approach as the best way of going about the departure yet it'd be struck down as 'soft' rather naively.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Conceited)
I wouldn't be so sure. I'd consider the EEA/EFTA approach as the best way of going about the departure yet it'd be struck down as 'soft' rather naively.
I was going to say - wouldn't that be a gift for the Jacob Rees Moggs of this world? I agree with you, by the way but I don't see it being politically achievable. Not with the current 'black or white, on or off, EU or not EU' public political discourse we have at the moment, anyway.
tony.fisher83
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
To be fair, when it comes to politics what the party says and what the party actually does is a big difference. I dont expect this to final shift they make, 6 months down the line and they may shift again. If public opinion shifts so will their policy.
username2080673
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I was going to say - wouldn't that be a gift for the Jacob Rees Moggs of this world? I agree with you, by the way but I don't see it being politically achievable. Not with the current 'black or white, on or off, EU or not EU' public political discourse we have at the moment, anyway.
Precisely and that's what makes it a damned shame. We have a real opportunity to come out of this stronger but public perception/understanding of the whole thing means it won't happen and when you've got the likes of Theresa May advocating or otherwise wafting around empty rhetoric about 'no deal' better than a 'bad deal' it doesn't help.
Maker
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I see brexit as a Darwinian experiment. The people who voted for brexit are usually the poorest and least well educated and will be the worse affected in any economic downturn after brexit.

The people who voted remain were the well off and educated and will be the ones that even if the country were to suffer a lot, have the ability to emigrate and get jobs in another country like Australia unlike the leave voters who can't.

In the end, Brexit will probably accelerate the death of the older, poorer leave voters by cuts in pensions, the NHS and social services,
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
(Original post by meenu89)
What about a red white and blue brexit?

There is a difference between not being in the single market and being in the single market. Both of these variables can occur in a Brexit and produce different outcomes.

If there is only Brexit then you wont mind the democratic deficit (having even less say over what the rules of that market are) of being in the single market? All Brexits are the same after all.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Not with the current 'black or white, on or off, EU or not EU' public political discourse we have at the moment, anyway.
But you literally just contributed to that black and white discourse two seconds ago!

"Exactly. Either in the EU, or not in the EU. Not half-in, half-out like it's the hokey-cokey." - RC
King Koala
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This will lose Labour seats in Northern working class areas.
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It depends what they mean by TRANSITIONAL step.

Delighted Labour has promised this, a good compromise and actual challenge the Tory narrative. That said, Lab need to comment more about beginning drawing up plans for a EU/Canada deal if they were doing to negotiate an EEC style arrangement.

Not sure exactly how this would work, but I'm in favour.
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Maker)
I see brexit as a Darwinian experiment. The people who voted for brexit are usually the poorest and least well educated and will be the worse affected in any economic downturn after brexit.

The people who voted remain were the well off and educated and will be the ones that even if the country were to suffer a lot, have the ability to emigrate and get jobs in another country like Australia unlike the leave voters who can't.

In the end, Brexit will probably accelerate the death of the older, poorer leave voters by cuts in pensions, the NHS and social services,
Or pensioners will just prioritise voting to protect their pensions
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (111)
5.02%
Uncertainty around my education (332)
15.03%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (238)
10.77%
Lack of purpose or motivation (306)
13.85%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (102)
4.62%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (127)
5.75%
Loneliness (191)
8.65%
Financial worries (86)
3.89%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (93)
4.21%
Exposure to negative news/social media (103)
4.66%
Lack of real life entertainment (118)
5.34%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (193)
8.74%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (209)
9.46%

Watched Threads