The Student Room Group

Eligibility

I have an enquiry.
I did two years which was HND and was funded.
I was then offered a place at uni directly on to the third year of a course but I dropped off a month in.
I've applied again but have been offered to the second year this time rather than third which I don't mind.. only thing is will I still be eligible for student finance? I've applied but not heard back yet.. but thought I'd post on the forum to get reassurance.
Original post by SS2Goku
I have an enquiry.
I did two years which was HND and was funded.
I was then offered a place at uni directly on to the third year of a course but I dropped off a month in.
I've applied again but have been offered to the second year this time rather than third which I don't mind.. only thing is will I still be eligible for student finance? I've applied but not heard back yet.. but thought I'd post on the forum to get reassurance.

I believe you have an issue.
You get student funding for degree length +1
HND left you with final 1+1 left

The dropout uses you gift year, which means you have 1 years funding left.
They have asked you to go into year 2 which requires 2 years funding, so you are one year short and they will only fund the final year.

You need to look at the drop out periods and for the reasons you dropped out. If it was family or health reasons then you might be eligible for a compelling personal reasons claim to restore that year.

Wait to see what SFE say.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
I believe you have an issue.
You get student funding for degree length +1
HND left you with final 1+1 left

The dropout uses you gift year, which means you have 1 years funding left.
They have asked you to go into year 2 which requires 2 years funding, so you are one year short and they will only fund the final year.

You need to look at the drop out periods and for the reasons you dropped out. If it was family or health reasons then you might be eligible for a compelling personal reasons claim to restore that year.

Wait to see what SFE say.

I've been told by student finance that they'd fund the 2ndyear and that I'd have to fund myself in the final year? If it was like that then I'd be okay. Bu I can't fund myself this year as I don't have the money. Hope that makes sense.
Original post by SS2Goku
I've been told by student finance that they'd fund the 2ndyear and that I'd have to fund myself in the final year? If it was like that then I'd be okay. Bu I can't fund myself this year as I don't have the money. Hope that makes sense.

Well I would check again as the normal way of funding is counting backwards when applying it i.e final year first. If they have said that to you then take it but its not as I understand it.
Reply 4
Can anyone else help on this? As I'm really worried now that I won't get funded
Original post by SS2Goku
Can anyone else help on this? As I'm really worried now that I won't get funded

Ask on the ask sfe section.
Track down the person at SFE who told you.
My understanding about the application of remaining funding is as indicated, but happy to concede if it is incorrect.
Reply 6
Ask on the ask sfe section.
Track down the person at SFE who told you.
My understanding about the application of remaining funding is as indicated, but happy to concede if it is incorrect.

I remember being told if I had 2 years of funding left and I started from year 1 of a 3 year course then I'd have to fund myself for the first year and will get funded for year 1 and 2.

But because I have one year of funding left and am going to the 2nd year.. I'm just hoping il get funded as I've been told this over the phone.
Original post by SS2Goku
I remember being told if I had 2 years of funding left and I started from year 1 of a 3 year course then I'd have to fund myself for the first year and will get funded for year 1 and 2.

But because I have one year of funding left and am going to the 2nd year.. I'm just hoping il get funded as I've been told this over the phone.

I believe your memory is faulty, but happy to be proven wrong. GL
get it confirmed with sfe.
Reply 8
I believe your memory is faulty, but happy to be proven wrong. GL
get it confirmed with sfe.

Nope, I'm 100% sure I know what I heard lol
Original post by SS2Goku
Nope, I'm 100% sure I know what I heard lol

Then you have no problem and your funding will go ahead.
Reply 10
Then you have no problem and your funding will go ahead.

The thing I'm worried about is I've read so many times on this forum that students are always being told different things on the phone and they the student finance call agents don't know what they're talking about half the time :/
Original post by SS2Goku
The thing I'm worried about is I've read so many times on this forum that students are always being told different things on the phone and they the student finance call agents don't know what they're talking about half the time :/

I just tell you what I understand to be the case. If it were me id have shoved a compelling personal reason claim in. You may have to anyway.
Reply 12
I just tell you what I understand to be the case. If it were me id have shoved a compelling personal reason claim in. You may have to anyway.

I heard student finance sometimes fund upto 4-5 years? Or does that depend on the course you're doing
Original post by SS2Goku
I heard student finance sometimes fund upto 4-5 years? Or does that depend on the course you're doing

The rule as explained is degree length +1. Some degrees are longer than three years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending