The Student Room Group

Eligibility after living in England for a few years?

Hey everyone. Been living down south in England for the last few years after my dad died and I had to move in with my mum who had just moved to the midlands from edinburgh. I was ill throughout this whole period with an undiagnosed illness and wasn't really sure what was going on but managed to get a college course under my belt and now that I'm getting treatment for my chronic illness I'm finally able to go to uni. I recently moved back up to Scotland where I was born and did all of my primary and secondary education. I want to apply for 2018 entry but I'm super confused about who I apply to for funding?

SAAS says that you need to have been living in scotland for the last 3 years before you're eligible unless you moved out of the country for your parent's work. I'm a mature student at this point but like I said literally the only reason I wasn't living in Scotland was because I was ill and unable to live independently until now. Would I really be considered an English student at this point? My entire life is up here and all my education was here except for a 2 year diploma course I struggled through while in England. Would I apply through SF england if I don't live there anymore just because I left scotland for a little while? I'm extremely confused and don't want to cause any funding delays down the line by getting this wrong. And obviously this would affect how much financial support I'm eligible for in the first place. :\

Anyone have any advice? Getting the feeling I'm going to just have to ring them up or something but I can't stand talking on the phone.
Original post by Pantsu
Hey everyone. Been living down south in England for the last few years after my dad died and I had to move in with my mum who had just moved to the midlands from edinburgh. I was ill throughout this whole period with an undiagnosed illness and wasn't really sure what was going on but managed to get a college course under my belt and now that I'm getting treatment for my chronic illness I'm finally able to go to uni. I recently moved back up to Scotland where I was born and did all of my primary and secondary education. I want to apply for 2018 entry but I'm super confused about who I apply to for funding?

SAAS says that you need to have been living in scotland for the last 3 years before you're eligible unless you moved out of the country for your parent's work. I'm a mature student at this point but like I said literally the only reason I wasn't living in Scotland was because I was ill and unable to live independently until now. Would I really be considered an English student at this point? My entire life is up here and all my education was here except for a 2 year diploma course I struggled through while in England. Would I apply through SF england if I don't live there anymore just because I left scotland for a little while? I'm extremely confused and don't want to cause any funding delays down the line by getting this wrong. And obviously this would affect how much financial support I'm eligible for in the first place. :\

Anyone have any advice? Getting the feeling I'm going to just have to ring them up or something but I can't stand talking on the phone.

Assuming you wish to go to a Scottish university, then you will have to satisfy SAAS that you were ordinarily resident in Scotland for the three years preceding your intended course. Obviously ifs better to be resident in Scotland because there are no fees and hence worth tens of thousands of pounds. You will have to convince them your stay in England was only ever temporary and that you always regarded Scotland as your home and always intended to return. You need evidence to support this.

SAAS will point towards the fact you were living in England for the majority of the time. You took a college course in England.

They will want you to provide evidence your stay was temporary
Your ongoing connections with Scotland

Things like having no choice.
Death of father and being a minor.
Illness
Working in Scotland. You say mature student but you dont say how old. The younger you are the better it sounds in your favour because it looks like a minor doesnt have any choice.

Its not straightforward, but it is worth £ 40-60,000 of debt.

You might have a big fight on your hands, but if you fail to convince them, then you should just work in Scotland for another two years an delay Uni then reapply. Do not get financed by SFE it would be a very very very very poor financial decision.

You are going to have to change your attitude about communicating with SAAS on the phone or otherwise.

https://www.saas.gov.uk/_forms/funding_guide.pdf

p10
https://www.saas.gov.uk/_forms/sas4.pdf

p5

Quick Reply

Latest