boujee
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I got a b at gcse (I could have done better; I was dealing with personal problems).
I did ocr for gcse history and am doing aqa for a level. Looking at past papers, I have noticed quite a different in the style of exam question.
I'm also quite confused, as there are 4 types of paper with a lot of sub units or am I just being thick?
Anyway I wanted to know:
- what's the workload like?
- is the history we learn interesting or boring?
- tips for essay questions?
- I got a b at gcse. Do you think I'm capable of getting above a b at a level?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by boujee)
I got a b at gcse (I could have done better; I was dealing with personal problems).
I did ocr for gcse history and am doing aqa for a level. Looking at past papers, I have noticed quite a different in the style of exam question.
I'm also quite confused, as there are 4 types of paper with a lot of sub units or am I just being thick?

The specification overview is here
http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/histo...ec-at-a-glance

Anyway I wanted to know:
History is known for being quite difficult as it has high volume, so easy to get swamped.

You need to ask your teacher what periods you will be studying. Up to you whether you find it boring or not but its still an understanding of people and situations from times past.

Make good notes, do past papers, be capable of analysing from multiple points of view and reflect on differing opinions. Practice.

Yes if you work hard.
kelela
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I got an A* at GCSE, an A at AS (near 100UMS in both exams) and an E at A2. Averaged at B. Take it as you will.
SonyToprano
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Anyway I wanted to know:
Hi, I did OCR History GCSE and got a B in 2015. I then did AQA A level History and got an A recently.

In terms of workload, second year is the worst. History does have a heavy word load, not so much in first year, but quite a bit in second year as you have to know your 2 years of Breadth Study, 2 years of your Depth study and have a 3500 coursework to write. My best advice to handle this would be to just keep on top of things.

Whether History is interesting depends on what you learn. I did Stuart Britain and the Crises of Monarchy, and Democracy and Nazism. I found them both really interesting which helped me exceed in the subject.

My tip for Essay questions would be to first learn the basics, e.g Intro, 3 points for the Argument, 3 against the Argument, Conclude. Once you do this, try to put in some wider reading, I.e References to Historians, their school of thought and theories (if useful, don't just put it in unless it backs you up). This helps you get grades above a B. Also with AQA the essays will main focus around key events of the period you study, in particular what Historians have debated on why a certain event turned out the way it did.

Finally, I think you can get an A if your focused and interested, and I went from a B at GCSE to an A at A level. The main thing that gets you an A in History is Exam technique (using what you know effectively), Knowledge (You can highlight relevant events to answer the question and wider reading, (You back up the relevant information you put by referencing Historians, Schools of thought and their view of a certain period in history). This makes your answer to the examiner stand out and shows you understand that the Essay Question is a 'Historiography debate'. Hope this helped
boujee
Rep:
?
Thanks everyone you've been so helpful!!!!
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Anyway I wanted to know:
Hi, there. I'm also doing History for A Level so I'm in a very good position to help. I'll PM you some useful information.
boujee
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
Hi, there. I'm also doing History for A Level so I'm in a very good position to help. I'll PM you some useful information.
Thanks xx
megannie
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Anyway I wanted to know:
No you aren't don't worry it can be confusing to look at, first look through the AQA spec and then if you are still confused, your teachers will doubtless explain the process to you very soon. I did AQA history at A level this June and there were 2 papers both 2hrs 30 mins each. You will study two topics and have a paper on each with one document question and 2 essay questions.
what's the workload like?- is the history we learn interesting or boring?
The workload can be heavy when it comes to revision as you cover a much wider period of time compared to GCSE. Make good notes and you should be fine. As to whether the history is interesting, it will depend on what time periods your teachers have chosen for you to study- Mine chose The Tudors (1485-1603) and The Cold War (1945-1991). I found them both very interesting but it will depend on your teachers.

tips for essay questions?
The biggest tip i can give is practice essays! You need to be able to write 3 quality essays in 2hrs 30 mins! So you need to be prepared to write a lot and have the knowledge down to write enough. Also make your notes good, they are a god send when revising if you have a good way of taking notes from the very start.

I got a b at gcse. Do you think I'm capable of getting above a b at a level?
I will admit A level is harder, at GCSE i got A* and at A level i got an A, but i probably could have worked a bit harder (i got stressed to easily). If you push yourself and really refine your revision technique, you'll be fine! Just review your notes and find any way possible to absorb the huge amounts of info you'll have to learn.

Good luck and feel free to ask if you need anything!
LifeIsSoHard
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by LordProtector)
Hi, I did OCR History GCSE and got a B in 2015. I then did AQA A level History and got an A recently.

In terms of workload, second year is the worst. History does have a heavy word load, not so much in first year, but quite a bit in second year as you have to know your 2 years of Breadth Study, 2 years of your Depth study and have a 3500 coursework to write. My best advice to handle this would be to just keep on top of things.

Whether History is interesting depends on what you learn. I did Stuart Britain and the Crises of Monarchy, and Democracy and Nazism. I found them both really interesting which helped me exceed in the subject.

My tip for Essay questions would be to first learn the basics, e.g Intro, 3 points for the Argument, 3 against the Argument, Conclude. Once you do this, try to put in some wider reading, I.e References to Historians, their school of thought and theories (if useful, don't just put it in unless it backs you up). This helps you get grades above a B. Also with AQA the essays will main focus around key events of the period you study, in particular what Historians have debated on why a certain event turned out the way it did.

Finally, I think you can get an A if your focused and interested, and I went from a B at GCSE to an A at A level. The main thing that gets you an A in History is Exam technique (using what you know effectively), Knowledge (You can highlight relevant events to answer the question and wider reading, (You back up the relevant information you put by referencing Historians, Schools of thought and their view of a certain period in history). This makes your answer to the examiner stand out and shows you understand that the Essay Question is a 'Historiography debate'. Hope this helped
Hi, I'm doing the exact same courses as you - unit 1D (Stuarts) and unit 2O (Nazis) - at AS right now.

However, my biggest issue is writing essay. I'm terrible at structuring them. Do you have any advice on this & also so you have any good/high mark example essays that you could send over for me to look at?

Thanks so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I’m worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (12)
40%
I’m worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (4)
13.33%
I’m worried it will impact my future career (2)
6.67%
I’m worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (6)
20%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (3)
10%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (3)
10%

Watched Threads