Do you need Maths for Medicine?

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
NanaA23432
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Title^
I plan on taking Biology,Chemistry,Maths and Psychology /RS at A-Levels but I'm confused on whether you need to take Maths for medicine.I feel like I need to take Maths though(?)
Does it leave my options open?
Futhermore I didn't get any A*/A grades at GCSE so does that mean I'm at a disadvantage for a medicine course at University?
Thanks in advance~
TheConfusedMedic
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
No, you only need Chemistry, and most of the time, Biology too. The only exception is Cambridge, where some colleges require that you have 3 Science/Maths A Levels.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by NanaA23432)
Title^
I plan on taking Biology,Chemistry,Maths and Psychology /RS at A-Levels but I'm confused on whether you need to take Maths for medicine.I feel like I need to take Maths though(?)
Futhermore I didn't get any A*/A grades at GCSE so does that mean I'm at a disadvantage for a medicine course at University?
Maths is very useful for medicine, but not a requirement.

More importantly, If you got no higher than B at GCSE, this is going to seriously affect your competitiveness as a candidate for medicine. It doesn't rule you out of a place at some medical schools, but you have to accept that you will be in open competition with candidates with 8+ A* at GCSE and where a weighting for GCSE score is applied, you're inevitably going to be one of the weakest. What has your school/college careers advisor or tutors said about this?
cormacpaul
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Not getting any A*/As does put you at quite a significant disadvantage as some unis allocate points to your GCSE grades and use these in conjunction with your A level grades to compare you, whilst others have a minimum requirement.

You do not need Maths, and don't let people tell you otherwise. Only take it if you enjoy it and/or are good at it as it is obviously a useful a level, and being good at maths will surely help you with your UKCAT/BMAT exams.
SpidgetFinner
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Reality Check)

More importantly, If you got no higher than B at GCSE, this is going to seriously affect your competitiveness as a candidate for medicine. It doesn't rule you out of a place at some medical schools, but you have to accept that you will be in open competition with candidates with 8+ A* at GCSE and where a weighting for GCSE score is applied, you're inevitably going to be one of the weakest. What has your school/college careers advisor or tutors said about this?
How is it useful?
Student1191
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Title^
Maths would be a good idea. Your GCSEs are completely fine unless you wanted to go to oxbridge
thotproduct
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Maths is not REQUIRED for Medicine, but strongly recommended, most of Chem/Bio will feed off Maths, but Med schools only really require the 2 sciences.

But just because you can do it without, does it inherently mean it's a wise move to do so? You're in essence shooting yourself in the foot. Especially since even outside of the academic situation, Medicine is a highly competitive degree and unless you heavily overcompensate in A Level and UKCAT they'll probably take someone who's predicted As in Bio Chem and Maths.
susanajoshua
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
You can consider foundation courses for medicine at St Andrews
NanaA23432
Rep:

My careers adviser said that my A-Level options are good for medicine but I was hoping to do better in my GCSE Results are I worked hard in every subject.However my careers adviser also said that I need to have good A-Level results to pursue medicine at University.
Reality Check
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SpidgetFinner)
How is it useful?
Medicine is science, and mathematics is the language of science.
Ediesedgewick
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Only biology and chemistry is required. I think that GCSEs may hold you back even with all B's. Medicine is extremely competitive and they look at your foundation. If you were unable to get any A's at GCSE you may struggle with A levels so I do recommend going over the content before so you know what's to come ahead but also keep revising.
Reality Check
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
My careers adviser said that my A-Level options are good for medicine but I was hoping to do better in my GCSE Results are I worked hard in every subject.However my careers adviser also said that I need to have good A-Level results to pursue medicine at University.
I think we'd all agree with that. And there's nothing you can do about the GCSE results, so there's little point dwelling on them. So yes - you need to do very well at A level (preferably at the A*AA/A*A*A level) and nail the UKCAT/BMAT. Good luck with it.
SpidgetFinner
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Medicine is science, and mathematics is the language of science.
You only need basic GCSE maths in the medicine course and as a Doctor. The type of maths in the UKCAT
Kingbradley6
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
No. Simple as that (except as others have said for certain Cambridge colleges but it wouldn't have to be maths still as it could be physics). Nothing that comes up at A-level in Mathematics is used during Medicine. Yes you need to ability to do basic sums throughout your degree and beyond in training but the material taught in the maths curriculum - at least when I did it - is irrelevant (e.g. trigonometry, differentiation, etc). The drug calculations done in chemistry are the limit of what "maths" you need. If anything physics surely would be more (though still hardly) related for understanding concepts such as resistance, volume and pressure changes, etc (for cardiovascular and respiratory physiology).

As for the lack of A*s/As, however, that will likely disadvantage you, unfortunately.
Reality Check
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
just a bunch of *******s really - OP ignore this fool, you only need basic GCSE maths in the medicine course and as a Doctor. The type of maths in the UKCAT
Looks like you're wanting to go the same way as your friends...

claireestelle - could you 'deal'. Thanks
Ediesedgewick
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
just a bunch of *******s really - OP ignore this fool, you only need basic GCSE maths in the medicine course and as a Doctor. The type of maths in the UKCAT
He never said it was required...
He said it was useful and I think many medics would agree.
metico
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I think we'd all agree with that. And there's nothing you can do about the GCSE results, so there's little point dwelling on them. So yes - you need to do very well at A level (preferably at the A*AA/A*A*A level) and nail the UKCAT/BMAT. Good luck with it.
Also, perhaps apply to universities which do not put priority on academic results?
Reality Check
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by xptrt3)
Also, perhaps apply to universities which do not put priority on academic results?
Yep, that's good advice - and certainly not apply to unis which put any store in GCSE results.
NanaA23432
Rep:
(Original post by Ediesedgewick)
Only biology and chemistry is required. I think that GCSEs may hold you back even with all B's. Medicine is extremely competitive and they look at your foundation. If you were unable to get any A's at GCSE you may struggle with A levels so I do recommend going over the content before so you know what's to come ahead but also keep revising.
Ok thanks for the reply.I aim to have high A-Level grades to have a chance of being able to take a medicine course at University although my GCSE grades may not be of a high result.
bonnie_x
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Title^
I think it's true that the level of maths needed as a doctor is probably at GCSE level, but I do bio, chem and maths and I find that doing maths helps with my other subjects. But if you didn't get an A/A* at GCSE I think you will find it very difficult at A level, so I think it might be worth doing another subject that you are more certain you can get a higher grade in.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (26)
27.08%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (31)
32.29%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (10)
10.42%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (4)
4.17%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (5)
5.21%
I’m starting to consider my university options (14)
14.58%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (4)
4.17%
I’m not planning on going to university (2)
2.08%

Watched Threads