The Student Room Group

Is AS Further Maths suitable for Economics at Cambridge or Warwick?

I'm aware that Further Maths is almost a necessity, and I believe that Further Maths as a 3rd A-level isn't acceptable to at least LSE. Would AS Further Maths on top of Maths Economics and Physics be competitive?
The answer is a resounding yes. It's actually a really good pick for A levels, shows that you are quantitatively very strong. The quant heavy economics degrees of Cambridge and especially more so for LSE will look very favourably upon those selections.
Not to mention the fact that those subjects are very synergistic, it will be easy doing Physics alongside Further Maths, the mechanics components overlap etc.
Original post by Osiris Wintereisse
The answer is a resounding yes. It's actually a really good pick for A levels, shows that you are quantitatively very strong. The quant heavy economics degrees of Cambridge and especially more so for LSE will look very favourably upon those selections.

This is good to hear, thanks! the alternative is that I do FM until A2 as well. However, my school has made it very clear that I would not be able to drop my 4th A Level under any circumstance. Do you think that doing all of FM will be significantly more competitive? Or do you think it isn't worth the risk.
Original post by TheIrishSea
This is good to hear, thanks! the alternative is that I do FM until A2 as well. However, my school has made it very clear that I would not be able to drop my 4th A Level under any circumstance. Do you think that doing all of FM will be significantly more competitive? Or do you think it isn't worth the risk.

If you are targeting Cam/LSE for Economics, you really should do further maths. Not only to appear competitive, but to be comfortable handling the rigours of the course. I did Econ at Cambridge and LSE, and the people I knew who did single Maths struggled with the quantitative courses.
If you are targeting Cam/LSE for Economics, you really should do further maths. Not only to appear competitive, but to be comfortable handling the rigours of the course. I did Econ at Cambridge and LSE, and the people I knew who did single Maths struggled with the quantitative courses.

I'm definitely doing further maths, it's just I'm not sure whether to stop after 1st year of A-levels (AS) or to complete the entire A-level.
I'm definitely doing further maths, it's just I'm not sure whether to stop after 1st year of A-levels (AS) or to complete the entire A-level.

Take it all the way, the real challenging material only emerges at A2 level, it's worth doing it.
Take it all the way, the real challenging material only emerges at A2 level, it's worth doing it.

Thanks!

For Econ I'd say A-Level Maths is ok, but AS/A-Level FM is helpful. An AS with your combo is spot on - 9 units is ample to get in the required units.

Some do full FM but fill it up with naff stuff e.g) D1-D2 (and/or extra stats/mech if reverse is more useful). In your case AS FM of 2 pure & 1 stats would be fab.

On the contrary, if you take AS FM but fill it up with dud units, you'd mainly be doing it for the qualification itself (ok I guess). Pick good units if you can.

If you're doing AS FM in Y12 instead of Y13, it'd be tempting to do the full A-Level tho. My suggestion is moreso for Y13 imo (unless you spread it across).
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Physics Enemy
For Econ I'd say A-Level Maths is ok, but AS/A-Level FM is helpful. An AS with your combo is spot on - 9 units is ample to get in the required units.

Some do full FM but fill it up with naff stuff e.g) D1-D2 (and/or extra stats/mech if reverse is more useful). In your case AS FM of 2 pure & 1 stats would be fab.

On the contrary, if you take AS FM but fill it up with dud units, you'd mainly be doing it for the qualification itself (ok I guess). Pick good units if you can.

If you're doing AS FM in Y12 instead of Y13, it'd be tempting to do the full A-Level tho. My suggestion is moreso for Y13 imo (unless you spread it across).

D1-D2 is quite applicable to some modules at the LSE like operational research lol
D1-D2 is quite applicable to some modules at the LSE like operational research lol

Sorry for asking so many questions, but I was wondering if I were to take Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Econs; would I be given an offer where the grade I get in my 4th A level matters? Furthermore, which subject would likely be counted as my "4th" in this regard?
Sorry for asking so many questions, but I was wondering if I were to take Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Econs; would I be given an offer where the grade I get in my 4th A level matters? Furthermore, which subject would likely be counted as my "4th" in this regard?

Maybe, maybe not, best to call admissions yourself and ask.

Your fourth subject would most likely be Physics.
As further will be of varying use depending which modules you do. I would say fp1, fp2, s2 would be best combo.
Original post by black1blade
As further will be of varying use depending which modules you do. I would say fp1, fp2, s2 would be best combo.

A solid grounding in stats will help a lot with regards to econometrics.
Original post by black1blade

I don't think I have any choice? Now that Maths and FM are linear.
I don't think I have any choice? Now that Maths and FM are linear.

Ah yes of course. I think you would have choices if you did the full a-level in further maths maybe.

Quick Reply

Latest