The Student Room Group

Scared to go to university

Hi

I have a place to go to university in September but I have read the module information and there seems to be some oral presentations. Is this anything to worry about? I really hate them :frown:
(edited 6 years ago)
its okay as you will get used to it and you may even notice your confidence boost i am not going to lie me myself i am scared to start uni
Reply 2
Original post by Cookies89
its okay as you will get used to it and you may even notice your confidence boost i am not going to lie me myself i am scared to start uni

Hopefully...I mean, I cant even think about presentations without almost having a meltdown at the thought of myself doing it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Go for it. Bei g able to present your ideas is a sought after skill on the workplace. You can't hide from the world forever.

Good luck!
You may find it hard to find a course that doesn't include some sort of presentation but if it really does cause you anxiety it is usually possible to arrange to do them just in front of the person assessing you. I am sure you will be fine.
Reply 5
Original post by ByEeek
Go for it. Bei g able to present your ideas is a sought after skill on the workplace. You can't hide from the world forever.

Good luck!

I suppose maybe I should just push myself.
Reply 6
Presentations aren't that bad. You're most likely to present with a group anyway. You're not the only one doing the presentation in the class either.

Unfortunately, you're going to have to suck it up if you want a good grade. You're going to have to do some sort of presentation, when you're working anyway. More practice for you.
Reply 7
Original post by Ishax
Presentations aren't that bad. You're most likely to present with a group anyway. You're not the only one doing the presentation in the class either.

Unfortunately, you're going to have to suck it up if you want a good grade. You're going to have to do some sort of presentation, when you're working anyway. More practice for you.

Do you think there is any type of medication I could buy from a pharmacy in order be able to stay calm?
Reply 8
Original post by hw1221
Do you think there is any type of medication I could buy from a pharmacy in order be able to stay calm?

I think it's best you book a doctors appointment or go to the pharmacy, to get medical advice.
Original post by hw1221
I suppose maybe I should just push myself.

Absolutely. You never know - you might even enjoy it! There is something quite satisfying about the adrenaline rush after performing in front of people. Who needs drugs?!
Reply 10
Original post by ByEeek
Absolutely. You never know - you might even enjoy it! There is something quite satisfying about the adrenaline rush after performing in front of people. Who needs drugs?!

Hopefully the lecturers will understand that people are nervous sometimes. But yeah it isnt my thing haha
Original post by hw1221
Hopefully the lecturers will understand that people are nervous sometimes. But yeah it isnt my thing haha

Of course they do. And it is nerve wracking. But what is the worst that could happen? You make a mistake? So what? Just carry on as if nothing had happened. Most people won't even notice. Honest!
Reply 12
I was really really nervious presenting at uni and also when I started work and now I don't blink an eye lid. It's a journey. I don't think the challenges at uni will be excessive in frequency or nature. The uni experience, where ever you go, will be 'character building'. From my experience, it will be fine.
Reply 13
Original post by Zarek
I was really really nervious presenting at uni and also when I started work and now I don't blink an eye lid. It's a journey. I don't think the challenges at uni will be excessive in frequency or nature. The uni experience, where ever you go, will be 'character building'. From my experience, it will be fine.

Thanks, its nice to hear from someone who felt the same, this made me feel much better. :smile:
I was exactly the same, and found the biggest help for me was just talking to my tutors. Even just a few friendly words of advice from people who have seen it many many times before helped. Lots on unis have presentation workshops in the library etc where you can develop your skills, and if it does get a bit much, you can always talk to student support. As mentioned above, many places can arrange for you to present one on one rather to the whole class if you need to. Just remember, most people will be feeling exactly the same, especially early on! :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Charlotte.e.R.
I was exactly the same, and found the biggest help for me was just talking to my tutors. Even just a few friendly words of advice from people who have seen it many many times before helped. Lots on unis have presentation workshops in the library etc where you can develop your skills, and if it does get a bit much, you can always talk to student support. As mentioned above, many places can arrange for you to present one on one rather to the whole class if you need to. Just remember, most people will be feeling exactly the same, especially early on! :smile:

Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending