The Student Room Group

Best and worst russell group unis for law?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by constantine2016
Feeling slightly relieved that my university has not been ****ged off yet on this thread.

Original post by Wired_1800
Where do you go to uni?

QMUL according to Constantine's profile.
Where do you go to uni?

Queen Mary, University of London.
Original post by Blue_Cow

That is correct.
Original post by constantine2016
Queen Mary, University of London.

QMUL is a good uni
Original post by Blue_Cow

Ok
Apologies. I did not mean it like that. I just wanted to point out Durham, incase you wanted to see where they are.

Just like the Ivy League, where you cannot compare the unholy Trinity i.e. Harvard, Yale and Princeton to Brown or Cornell, one can still argue that you cannot compare Oxbridge to certain unis in the Big 8 universities mentioned.

The Ivy League is a self-selected group of universities. There is no formular to the grouping, probably the same with the Big 8.

There are unis like MIT and Stanford that will blow some ivy league unis out of the water.

Penn is still in the same conversation as Yale and Harvard, whereas Manc is not at all in the same conversation as Oxford or LSE.
Original post by jessjanellbhons1
My uni is in the top 20, nice.

https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2017/law-legal-studies

Now everyone can guess which uni I went to easily, lol.

You went to Kings? It is part of the Big 8
QMUL is a good uni

Thanks. :biggrin:
My uni is in the top 20, nice.

https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2017/law-legal-studies

Now everyone can guess which uni I went to easily, lol.

Not exactly easily considering LSE, UCL and KCL are all in the top 20.

Spoiler

You went to Kings? It is part of the Big 8

The scholarship money lured me in.
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
Penn is still in the same conversation as Yale and Harvard, whereas Manc is not at all in the same conversation as Oxford or LSE.

Yeah, but the ranking of the Ivy League would probably be:

Harvard
Princeton
Yale
Penn
Columbia
Cornell
Dartmouth
Brown

For the Big 8 (based on the QS ranking):
Cambridge
Oxford
UCL
Imperial
Kings
Edinburgh
Manchester
LSE
The scholarship money lured me in.

Fair
Yeah, but the ranking of the Ivy League would probably be:

Harvard
Princeton
Yale
Penn
Columbia
Cornell
Dartmouth
Brown

For the Big 8 (based on the QS ranking):
Cambridge
Oxford
UCL
Imperial
Kings
Edinburgh
Manchester
LSE

But you're cherry picking rankings. The QS is not well suited to differentiating between domestic courses accurately; it is designed to say which of the 10 top global are the best and it groups the others into broad (often inaccurate) categories. Dartmouth does terribly on QS (and ARWU) which is the most egregious example: 158th in QS.

Manchester's Nobel laureates does the uni wonders in the international rankings, but there's a reason why the rankings actually designed to differentiate between domestic unis places Manchester at 22nd.
Reply 53
Newcastle is alright. Studied Law there and know a fair few people who ended up getting training contracts at top firms.
To the OP :

Most of those replying wont have been to Uni. Some may have been to one. So the advice above is at best 'my University is best' or just 'I think' based on no actual evidence at all.

There is no 'best' for any subject. Its where you will feel the most comfortable and therefore will get the best degree possible and have a good student-experience. That is different for all applicants.

Go to some Open Days, look around, ask questions. Look at extra things on offer like pro-bono work, moot courts, study abroad etc etc. But overall, pick 5 Uni with a range of required grades and where you would enjoy being a student.
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
But you're cherry picking rankings. The QS is not well suited to differentiating between domestic courses accurately; it is designed to say which of the 10 top global are the best and it groups the others into broad (often inaccurate) categories. Dartmouth does terribly on QS (and ARWU) which is the most egregious example: 158th in QS.

Manchester's Nobel laureates does the uni wonders in the international rankings, but there's a reason why the rankings actually designed to differentiate between domestic unis places Manchester at 22nd.

I agree. I was talking about universities that can, on an overall basis, rival the Ivy League.

A poster stated about the Russell Group and i remarked that the Group does not do sufficient justice and the "poor" universities may drag down the top ones.

If we have the Big 8 with the universities mentioned. I think the Ivy League can get real competition.
Original post by returnmigrant
To the OP :

Most of those replying wont have been to Uni. Some may have been to one. So the advice above is at best 'my University is best' or just 'I think' based on no actual evidence at all.

There is no 'best' for any subject. Its where you will feel the most comfortable and therefore will get the best degree possible and have a good student-experience. That is different for all applicants.

Go to some Open Days, look around, ask questions. Look at extra things on offer like pro-bono work, moot courts, study abroad etc etc. But overall, pick 5 Uni with a range of required grades and where you would enjoy being a student.

That is true
Original post by returnmigrant
To the OP :

This is a typical ******** banal answer TSR offers. "Best means best for you" -- Yeah, eloquent truism but ultimately pointless because we all know that the OP wasn't asking "which course is best suited for me". They were asking a quite specific question about prestige, which is also also typical to TSR, which was answered by many posters (most of whom were actually graduates).
https://www.ukuni.net/uk-ranking/subject/law

Manchester's 39th in this list for Law
Oxbridge
LSE
UCL
Edinburgh/KCL/Bristol
Nottingham

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending