Mathematics Geometry Circle Tangent Problem please help

Watch
Harveybishop
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am not sure how to find angle x. Would you draw a centre point to create triangle OBC, where O is the centre. The line OB is the radius of the triangle. The angle at C would equal to 20 degrees. The angle at B would be equal to 90 degrees, because of circle theorem 5.
Adding these; 90+20= 110
O = 70 degrees
Then according to circle theorem 1 'The angle at the centre is twice the angle at the circumference' so angle x would be half of O= 35 degrees.
I am unsure if this is right or not, I do not have much experience with circle theorems so any clarity or advice would be much appreciated.
Harveybishop
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  374.5 KB
username1732133
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Harveybishop)
I am not sure how to find angle x. Would you draw a centre point to create triangle OBC, where O is the centre. The line OB is the radius of the triangle. The angle at C would equal to 20 degrees. The angle at B would be equal to 90 degrees, because of circle theorem 5.
Adding these; 90+20= 110
O = 70 degrees
Then according to circle theorem 1 'The angle at the centre is twice the angle at the circumference' so angle x would be half of O= 35 degrees.
I am unsure if this is right or not, I do not have much experience with circle theorems so any clarity or advice would be much appreciated.
Your method is not quite correct. Your angle BOC = 70 degrees. x is not half of this angle. It is half of angle BOD.

A method that you might find easier is to draw BD and think about the isosceles triangle BCD and then use the alternate segment theorem.
thekidwhogames
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Try putting a centre and linking it to B/D and use the theorem that those lines are perpendicular. Then use that kite to find the angle of O and thus x.
astro-hannah
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
does this help?
Name:  IMG_0356.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  339.2 KB
Harveybishop
Rep:
(Original post by astro-hannah)
does this help?
Name:  IMG_0356.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  339.2 KB
astro-hannah Yes it does, thank you very much 😊
astro-hannah
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Harveybishop)
astro-hannah Yes it does, thank you very much 😊
Yay! No probs
Notnek
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I'm sure this exact question/image was posted a few weeks ago...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (28)
9.62%
Okay (86)
29.55%
A bit lacking (105)
36.08%
Not good at all (72)
24.74%

Watched Threads