Parents asking children for rent

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi,

Is it just me who thinks it is wrong for parents to ask their children to pay rent to live in their house? I don't mean to offend anyone, I've actually just always wondered about this. I understand helping out from time to time - food shopping etc. But to be paying 100s of pounds for rent is a bit unfair, don't you think?
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi,

Is it just me who thinks it is wrong for parents to ask their children to pay rent to live in their house? I don't mean to offend anyone, I've actually just always wondered about this. I understand helping out from time to time - food shopping etc. But to be paying 100s of pounds for rent is a bit unfair, don't you think?
You're costing them money and they've probably lost benefits for you.
Arianax
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I do think it's unfair to ask for rent whilst they're in education, after they've finished that's when they should contribute.

I think children should pay rent after they've graduated from university and start working full time.

I don't pay rent, neither does my sister and my brother won't either. Maybe, it's a culture thing? In my culture, we don't ask children for rent.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No, it's part of being a grown up.
Changing Skies
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'll be paying a little bit of rent for the next year and I think it's entirely fair. It would cost me so much more to rent somewhere so I'm grateful. I'm an adult, I should be contributing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anonymous #1
I don't think it makes you any less grown up than others by not paying rent to your parents. You are still their child AT uni, it's not as if you're working full time with a well paying graduate job.
Anonymous #1
In my first and second year of uni, my mum paid my rent for both years due to me getting a low amount of student finance, and she still gave me £500 every month and pays my phone bill. Now I'm commuting this year, and she won't have to pay my rent; I'm saving her money no?

But I do agree it has somewhat to do with the persons culture, because my parents would never accept money from me.
Tiger Rag
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
In my first and second year of uni, my mum paid my rent for both years due to me getting a low amount of student finance, and she still gave me £500 every month and pays my phone bill. Now I'm commuting this year, and she won't have to pay my rent; I'm saving her money no?

But I do agree it has somewhat to do with the persons culture, because my parents would never accept money from me.
Not every parent can afford to have their child to live rent free at home.
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I have mixed thoughts about this, I wasn't too happy about being forced to pay rent at 19 ...none of my friends were.
If the family was in difficulties then i wouldn't have minded

my dad had a decent job though, ...and they also cut my pocked money/bus money which was either 10 quid a week or 15

I think even with the child benefit cut they wasn't skint enough to ask me for rent, they should have just cut my pocket/bus money

I think if a son/daughter is under 25, then unless the parents are in financial difficulties then rent should not be asked for...
having said that, tbh once you're grown you should not expect things to be just handed/given to you by parents ...so i guess it wasn't super unreasonable them asking me for rent, ..but at the time i was well annoyed........
storm95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
they don't ask me, but i feel bad living for free especially when i'm at home from uni so i help wherever i can. i think after a certain age (especially after graduation) or if you're working full time, you should contribute, otherwise i think it's a bit unfair. where the heck are you supposed to get the money from.
Arianax
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by storm95)
they don't ask me, but i feel bad living for free especially when i'm at home from uni so i help wherever i can. i think after a certain age (especially after graduation) or if you're working full time, you should contribute, otherwise i think it's a bit unfair. where the heck are you supposed to get the money from.
Exactly my point!
markova21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well even when I was unemployed I was expected to give my mum a tenner a week. She herself was on a very low income and she couldn't afford to feed me and her on what she got alone.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 years ago
If they're poor and actually need it it's justifiable, however this is pretty much never the case and it will just get spent on holidays or unnecessary stuff.

I do pay for it but I know if I had kids I wouldn't even think of charging it (unless I actually needed the money).
Anonymous #3
Report 3 years ago
Hi,

I don't agree with rent like a fixed cost per month or else but I think helping out with food shops and that when over 18 and got a job is good
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You're really not in a typical position. Very few people have parents paying out £1000 a month in expenses for them.

The majority of people will go from parents paying for everything (or a lot of things) when they're under 18 and in education - to then paying their parents board when they leave education. This is different as the parents will have got benefits to help with dependents while the children lived at home. When they leave for uni they lose the money but also lose expenses (1 person's food, gas, water, electric) so it's OK. But then if the child comes back to live at home and they're earning money why wouldn't they contribute? You're costing money in utilities and food.

Plus for many families if the 'child' worked and didn't pay any board they would have waaaaaaaaay more disposable income than their parents. I wouldn't feel right about that. Why should a parent have £50 a week after expenses and the child live rent free despite having £300 a week?
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If they're poor and actually need it it's justifiable, however this is pretty much never the case and it will just get spent on holidays or unnecessary stuff.

I do pay for it but I know if I had kids I wouldn't even think of charging it (unless I actually needed the money).
so you should have the money to pay for holidays or unnecessary stuff while your parents (who've spent tens of thousands of £ raising you to adulthood already) go without?

anyone who is over 18 and out of education (and not disabled in a way which prevents them) should be working full time... and anyone working full time has more than enough to contribute and still have plenty left over
Anonymous #2
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by doodle_333)
so you should have the money to pay for holidays or unnecessary stuff while your parents (who've spent tens of thousands of £ raising you to adulthood already) go without?

anyone who is over 18 and out of education (and not disabled in a way which prevents them) should be working full time... and anyone working full time has more than enough to contribute and still have plenty left over
If the person was going to spend it on holidays/unnecessary stuff then they should give some to their parents, I think OPs question was about uni students who won't have much at all.

It does seem like a **** take if two parents are earning 50k a year and they ask for 5k yearly (100 a week in rent) from whatever a students got (realistically about 10k a year).
Arianax
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If the person was going to spend it on holidays/unnecessary stuff then they should give some to their parents, I think OPs question was about uni students who won't have much at all.

It does seem like a **** take if two parents are earning 50k a year and they ask for 5k yearly (100 a week in rent) from whatever a students got (realistically about 10k a year).
My friends Dad earns £40,000, she and her sister have to pay rent.

I can understand parents who are genuinely struggling then children to help out.
Hedwig2189
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,

I don't think it's fair whilst they are still in compulsory education. So up until the age of 18, I think it's unfair to pay rent. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean they can get away with doing absolutely nothing. The should at the very least have a job and help out around the house. After the age of 18, I think it's the parents decision but should be based on what the 'child' is doing. If they are at university, and living home in the summer, they SHOULD be working and SHOULD be earning money. If the parents want to charge them rent, then it should be at an affordable rate for them, as long as they are working their hardest. The less they work, the higher the rent becomes because they can't get away with doing nothing. You either pay your way at home or you go off and pay EXTORTIONATE rent rates elsewhere which they DEFINITELY will not be able to afford. So the home rent should still be covering costs but at a good amount. If they aren't going to pay rent (which I have never done - I've always worked) then they should be contributing to petrol, to insurance, to shopping etc. You either work and contribute, or you work and pay rent. Not both. Does that make sense?
Anonymous #2
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ishax)
My friends Dad earns £40,000, she and her sister have to pay rent.

I can understand parents who are genuinely struggling then children to help out.
That's what I thinks stupid.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (582)
34.11%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (703)
41.21%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (343)
20.11%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (78)
4.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise