A-level maths — calculator choices? Watch

theseventhczar
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
From Year 7 up to Year 11, I have used a SHARP EL-W531 calculator (pictured below) and I found that I massively preferred it over the CASIO calculators, however with a new spec in A-Level Maths, it's clear that I'll be needing a new calculator.

My question is, what calculator will be suitable for the changes in maths (i.e. such as including statistical functions) and isn't a Casio?
Fractite
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The Casio calculators can do pretty much everything you need for A-level Maths, but in the case of graphs etc (a huge part of the spec), a graphical calculator can help, but then you need to take the time to learn how to use them, which may be more difficult than just learning how the graphs work.
stoyfan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by theseventhczar)
From Year 7 up to Year 11, I have used a SHARP EL-W531 calculator (pictured below) and I found that I massively preferred it over the CASIO calculators, however with a new spec in A-Level Maths, it's clear that I'll be needing a new calculator.

My question is, what calculator will be suitable for the changes in maths (i.e. such as including statistical functions) and isn't a Casio?
Buy the calculator that your school has recommended. If your school usually recommends casio calculators then it is quite likely that they adivse you to buy this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-FX-99...words=classwiz

You might as well learn to use a new brand of calculator, and by the looks of it, the display layout of the sharp calculator isn't that different to the casio ones.
Decimatio
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'd advise you to get a graphical calculator.
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by theseventhczar)

What's wrong with Casio? I'm sure you'd get used to a Casio calculator once you started using it. As others have said, wait until you find out what your school recommends.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.04%
They might tell the bully (18)
9.89%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.58%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
37.91%
There's nothing they could do (52)
28.57%

Watched Threads