The Student Room Group

What are you doing to prepare for university?

Especially for students with disabilities or who've been out of education for a while, but for people that haven't lived away from home and things before too- well for anyone really!

I'm working my way through a couple of books as I haven't studied one of my subjects before and the other in a few years. I might try and watch some videos on referencing and things too when I've done them. That and getting to know people I've found on facebook and looking at societies I might want to join- this is a big thing!

What are you doing to prepare for university? :smile:
Original post by furryface12
Especially for students with disabilities or who've been out of education for a while, but for people that haven't lived away from home and things before too- well for anyone really!

I'm working my way through a couple of books as I haven't studied one of my subjects before and the other in a few years. I might try and watch some videos on referencing and things too when I've done them. That and getting to know people I've found on facebook and looking at societies I might want to join- this is a big thing!

Nothing.. not even packing... almost scary how much I'm not doing anything :lol:

As a returning student I plan to do a bit of studying ahead the week before though.

Studying referencing as welll is a great shout :study:
Not a thing lol.

I start my Masters in a few weeks. I've not done anything to prepare for my actual course. But I have been looking for some more volunteering opportunities related to my course...slim pickings though. :frown: I can't even work for free lol.
Reply 3
I am looking to see if I can realistically make it to uni this year...I'm temporarily in a wheelchair due to an accident a month ago. I need to find out what support is available for me and how wheelchair accessible the place is...I'm digging out some of the materials I studied with the open university to refresh my mind about some stuff. today I have an orthopedic appointment and will find out later how long it will take me in physio to literally get back on my feet. I'll have to find out how many hours of physio a week I will have and will need to fit them around uni life.

it's all a bit chaotic at the moment but hopefully things will get sorted

:smile:
Learning java, node js, algorithms, server side scripting
Original post by Natz5
I am looking to see if I can realistically make it to uni this year...I'm temporarily in a wheelchair due to an accident a month ago. I need to find out what support is available for me and how wheelchair accessible the place is...I'm digging out some of the materials I studied with the open university to refresh my mind about some stuff. today I have an orthopedic appointment and will find out later how long it will take me in physio to literally get back on my feet. I'll have to find out how many hours of physio a week I will have and will need to fit them around uni life.

it's all a bit chaotic at the moment but hopefully things will get sorted

:smile:

Sorry about your accident. I hope you can get it sorted out- I would recommend talking to the disability department, they do vary a lot place to place but they should be willing to help you even as it is hopefully only temporary. Mine gave me an accessibility map which was helpful, even as someone that's not a wheelchair user (but does have mobility issues). Hope you can get it sorted, don't rush into something you're not sure about though- it's not the end of the world waiting another year. Good luck today, and with your recovery :smile:

Original post by DrExpresso
Learning java, node js, algorithms, server side scripting

By any chance are you computer science or something similar? :tongue: those sound good though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
Nothing.. not even packing... almost scary how much I'm not doing anything :lol:

As a returning student I plan to do a bit of studying ahead the week before though.

Studying referencing as welll is a great shout :study:

Ah well :lol: yeah hopefully it'll be helpful, my departments use different referencing systems too which is really helpful... Is there anything you'd recommend to people starting uni that you wish you'd done?

Original post by SophieSmall
Not a thing lol.

I start my Masters in a few weeks. I've not done anything to prepare for my actual course. But I have been looking for some more volunteering opportunities related to my course...slim pickings though. :frown: I can't even work for free lol.

You have a bit of time yet! That's rubbish with the volunteering though. What is your course out of interest?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah well :lol: yeah hopefully it'll be helpful, my departments use different referencing systems too which is really helpful... Is there anything you'd recommend to people starting uni that you wish you'd done?

You have a bit of time yet! That's rubbish with the volunteering though. What is your course out of interest?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My undergrad was in biomedical science, my master's is ins international public health :smile:
Reply 8
Chatting to people in my department on a fb group chat
Trying to find my flatmates on fb
Creating lists of things I need to buy and keeping all my uni stuff separate in one room
STATIONARY SHOPPING
Planning my modules
Original post by Livvyxo
Creating lists of things I need to buy and keeping all my uni stuff separate in one room
STATIONARY SHOPPING
Planning my modules

Isn't that a bit difficult? :K::K::K:

Spoiler

Banana :h::h:
Original post by Banana00

Spoiler

Original post by Livvyxo

:laugh:
I haven't really prepared solidly for anything, just reading around the subject and trying to build on my limited basic knowledge.

I'm studying for a Master's in Web Development, and as an arts student with brief HTML & CSS knowledge it is a steep learning curve. But one I'm happy to oblige!

I start in about 4 weeks so there is still time.

My decision to study for a Master's is purely for a career/sector change.

I'm panic buying a bunch of stuff and am trying to locate my flatmates via fb... thats it.
Original post by SophieSmall
My undergrad was in biomedical science, my master's is ins international public health :smile:

Ooh interesting! Hope it goes well for you :smile:

Original post by Livvyxo
STATIONARY SHOPPING
Planning my modules

This is pretty much identical to me so far! Lists for everything :colondollar: I do need to sort out a place I can put things though, just have a plastic bag atm and stuff scattered around it. I'm also trying to persuade myself I really don't need any more stationery, but it's just so tempting...

Original post by Banana00

Spoiler

:rofl: are you going to be uni-ing this year? :smile:

Original post by zeullius
I'm panic buying a bunch of stuff and am trying to locate my flatmates via fb... thats it.

Original post by royal1990
I haven't really prepared solidly for anything, just reading around the subject and trying to build on my limited basic knowledge.

I'm studying for a Master's in Web Development, and as an arts student with brief HTML & CSS knowledge it is a steep learning curve. But one I'm happy to oblige!

I start in about 4 weeks so there is still time.

My decision to study for a Master's is purely for a career/sector change.

These could be a lot worse :smile: good luck both of you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest