The Student Room Group

How do you express why you're interested in a subject (Personal Statement)

I'm quite rubbish at articulating myself in general so my PS is a big struggle for me. I'm interested in [...] because.... I just am..
How do I EXPLAIN WHY something interested me? My PS rn is like a list of things of what I did, seen and read
Btw I'm applying for Biomedical Science
(edited 6 years ago)
have you got work experience
you could say it interested you because of the challenges you had to face or how it occupied your time?? i wouldn't know how to write it either but maybe the impact it had on you in terms of knowledge,
i've never done this before loool, sorry it's not that helpful
Original post by the one 123
have you got work experience

I couldn't get work experience this year (it was a struggle, I got rejected left right and centre) but I did work experience in a care home last year, I don't know if that's relevant or not.
I've also done some volunteering, shadowed different healthcare professionals for a day, went to lectures and a masterclass.
Original post by bellions
you could say it interested you because of the challenges you had to face or how it occupied your time?? i wouldn't know how to write it either but maybe the impact it had on you in terms of knowledge,
i've never done this before loool, sorry it's not that helpful

No thanks sm that's really useful
what are you hobbies
what are you hobbies

Lol, tbh watching youtube videos, listening to music and sleeping but I can't put that in my PS can I?
And I already have a list of things to write about, it's just writing it all up well
(edited 6 years ago)
If someone told you that you HAD to do another subject, what would you say to them about why you actually want to do Biomed? Tip : actually say it all out loud as though you were actually talking to someone - then write some of it down.
Original post by PurpleDelight
Lol, tbh watching youtube videos, listening to music and sleeping but I can't put that in my PS can I?
And I already have a list of things to write about, it's just writing it all up well

brilliant:smile::smile: lool i was expecting something a bit more than that but i cant talk i do the exact same thing ,have you got a job
Original post by returnmigrant
If someone told you that you HAD to do another subject, what would you say to them about why you actually want to do Biomed? Tip : actually say it all out loud as though you were actually talking to someone - then write some of it down.

Wow that's actually really good. I'm just going to write it out to help me.

In general, I'm naturally skilled in learning and understanding scientific concepts- I can memorise quite a lot and have reasonably good mathematical skills. I couldn't do a degree in english or humanities because I'm not very good at analysing words, but I believe that I would be better at practically applying my knowledge to something like a set of lab results.
(edited 6 years ago)
brilliant:smile::smile: lool i was expecting something a bit more than that but i cant talk i do the exact same thing ,have you got a job

Nope, but that's because of some personal circumstances/reasons
Original post by PurpleDelight
Nope, but that's because of some personal circumstances/reasons

oh ok then im no use,my brother blended his work and his academics
I laid out my personal statement (for biology) in five main sections. I don't know how good it was but I got offers from all of my unis so it must have been alright.

My PS was set out as follows
- My main reasons for wanting to study biology
- Why I would be suitable (I included which parts of the A Level course I was most interested in, lab experience I had had and books about biology and biochemistry that I had read)
-Why my current A Level subjects would make me suitable (I talked about essay writing skills and critical analysis mainly)
- Releveant work experience (tutoring students in bio and physics, volunteering at a science discovery centre, among others)
- A short summary to stick in the readers mind

Almost half of my PS was the second paragraph because the lab experience was directly to do with my course and showed that I knew I wanted to do it because I had already had some experience, and the books I had read showed that I had a genuine interest to learn more about the subject and wasn't just taking it because I didn't know what else to choose. If you can't get any experience then I would recommend reading around the subject and finding other ways to show your dedication.

Good luck!
i went by the motto: show, dont tell.

describe briefly what you did and make sure you know your ABCs:
A:describe the activity
B: what was the benefit of it
C: how it links to your course
D: how your "passion" for the subject has developed through the activity
E: make it entertaining- make it easy to read (use plain english, try adding some cadence at the end to make it sound nice to read)

good luck!
Also expand on a topic of that subject to prove that you have some interest in bio medical science and have done some research.
This doesn't have to pertain to the syllabus and would actually be preferable if it was something obscure and not in the syllabus.
Original post by Charlotte.P
I laid out my personal statement (for biology) in five main sections. I don't know how good it was but I got offers from all of my unis so it must have been alright.

My PS was set out as follows
- My main reasons for wanting to study biology
- Why I would be suitable (I included which parts of the A Level course I was most interested in, lab experience I had had and books about biology and biochemistry that I had read)
-Why my current A Level subjects would make me suitable (I talked about essay writing skills and critical analysis mainly)
- Releveant work experience (tutoring students in bio and physics, volunteering at a science discovery centre, among others)
- A short summary to stick in the readers mind

Almost half of my PS was the second paragraph because the lab experience was directly to do with my course and showed that I knew I wanted to do it because I had already had some experience, and the books I had read showed that I had a genuine interest to learn more about the subject and wasn't just taking it because I didn't know what else to choose. If you can't get any experience then I would recommend reading around the subject and finding other ways to show your dedication.

Good luck!

Thanks sm. It's just a shame I didn't get lab work experience
Original post by Personinsertname
Also expand on a topic of that subject to prove that you have some interest in bio medical science and have done some research.
This doesn't have to pertain to the syllabus and would actually be preferable if it was something obscure and not in the syllabus.

Thank you, that's reassured me on a bit I've written about

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending