The Student Room Group

Nottingham 2018 medicine apllicants entry discussion!

Hi guys, I thought I'd start off this thread seeing as there isn't one.
Gcses: 7A* 5A's
Ukcat: 615
Does anyone think I have a chance at an interview this year bc last years scoring system is confusing me

Scroll to see replies

Are you in year 11 going into year 12 or year 12 going into year 13?
Original post by Luckycharm1
Does anyone think I have a chance at an interview this year bc last years scoring system is confusing me
Nevermind I just saw the title
I think you may have a chance because I remember on another thread someone got a score of 613 for their UKCAT and was advicsed to give it a go so why not? Plus if you don't mind sharing what were your AS grades like? Because based on that your predicted grades will tell if you could potentially make a successful candidate or not.
Btw I think that the predicted grades should be AAA however I don't think my teachers will predict me this so I'm applying for Medicine with a foundation year.
Reply 5
Original post by Appio001
I think you may have a chance because I remember on another thread someone got a score of 613 for their UKCAT and was advicsed to give it a go so why not? Plus if you don't mind sharing what were your AS grades like? Because based on that your predicted grades will tell if you could potentially make a successful candidate or not.

My college doesn't do AS anymore but I did AS maths and got an A and my predicted grades are A*AA
Reply 6
Btw I think that the predicted grades should be AAA however I don't think my teachers will predict me this so I'm applying for Medicine with a foundation year.

What is the criteria for applying for medicine with a foundation year? I feel I got a Lowe ukcat score , would I be able to applying for foundation year?
For Nottingham you need atleast 5 GCSE's at grade 5 (B) including Biology, Chemistry, English Language, Maths & Physics (or science double or triple award). In terms of A levels you need a minimum of grades BBC studied over a two year period (meaning you can't retake year 12) including B grades in Biology & Chemistry. This was extra useful to me because I've had my mind set on Medicine for a while but considering my AS grades were DEE I knew I wasn't gonna get preddicted AAA - the typical offer for med students.
What is the criteria for applying for medicine with a foundation year? I feel I got a Lowe ukcat score , would I be able to applying for foundation year?
With predicted A*AA I think you'll get an interview because if I remeber correctly UKCAT counts as 30% whilst the other 70% is academics I beleive but tbh it sounds like they would be interested in having an interview with you!
My college doesn't do AS anymore but I did AS maths and got an A and my predicted grades are A*AA
Reply 9
With predicted A*AA I think you'll get an interview because if I remeber correctly UKCAT counts as 30% whilst the other 70% is academics I beleive but tbh it sounds like they would be interested in having an interview with you!

thankyouthats really reassuring!! but. don't they rank ukcat alot now, im not sure and im sure there'll be applicants with higher gcse's and higher ukcat score
A higher UKCAT score may alter their decisions but I don't think higher GCSE's will alter it its very unlikely. Its often Oxbridge that will look at High grades for GCSEs. The only possibility there is that it may come down into it isif there are fewer & limited spaces and they now have to decide what candidates theyll eliminate but to ensure that doesn't happen ensure that you send your personal statement through with enough time. Unfortunately for us med students the deadline is 15th October, that's the only problem.
thankyouthats really reassuring!! but. don't they rank ukcat alot now, im not sure and im sure there'll be applicants with higher gcse's and higher ukcat score
A higher UKCAT score may alter their decisions but I don't think higher GCSE's will alter it its very unlikely. Its often Oxbridge that will look at High grades for GCSEs. The only possibility there is that it may come down into it isif there are fewer & limited spaces and they now have to decide what candidates theyll eliminate but to ensure that doesn't happen ensure that you send your personal statement through with enough time. Unfortunately for us med students the deadline is 15th October, that's the only problem.

aah okay! i might apply there but im not sure if its worth the risk
To Oxbridge???
aah okay! i might apply there but im not sure if its worth the risk
Ok, so i know its a 70 30 split in favour of UKCAT.I got relatively poor GCSEs, 3A* 6A B in English language.So originally i thought that was the end of that because i couldn't be competitive for an interview. However, this week i out performed my UKCAT- 745 Band 1. Do you guys think this will be enough to compensate my GCSEs?Do you think i could get an interview?
For Nottingham you need atleast 5 GCSE's at grade 5 (B) including Biology, Chemistry, English Language, Maths & Physics (or science double or triple award). In terms of A levels you need a minimum of grades BBC studied over a two year period (meaning you can't retake year 12) including B grades in Biology & Chemistry. This was extra useful to me because I've had my mind set on Medicine for a while but considering my AS grades were DEE I knew I wasn't gonna get preddicted AAA - the typical offer for med students.

Dont you also need to be in a low devolped area?
Are you talking about this for Oxbridge or Notiingham? If Nottingham then yes I do think that you could get an interview. Also are you hoping to apply for Medicine or Medicine with a foundation year? Here is a link for Medicine at Nottingham http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/courses/medicine/bmbs-medicine.aspx and here is the link for Medicine with a foundation year at Nottingham http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/courses/medicine/medicine-with-a-foundation-year-bmbs.aspx
Original post by cantstudyhungry
Ok, so i know its a 70 30 split in favour of UKCAT.I got relatively poor GCSEs, 3A* 6A B in English language.So originally i thought that was the end of that because i couldn't be competitive for an interview. However, this week i out performed my UKCAT- 745 Band 1. Do you guys think this will be enough to compensate my GCSEs?Do you think i could get an interview?
still yet to find out my predicted grades and do my UKCAT so I'm nervous
i think i wont get an interview bc my ukcat was 615 which doesn tmeet the cut off for last years interview
Reply 18
3A* is fairly low but with a ukcat that strong i think it more than makes up for it, considering the weighting is 70/30 in favour of ukcat.
Original post by cantstudyhungry
Does Nottingham have cut off scores/thresholds explicitly written anywhere?

My score, 40/46 using last years' scoring (without DM), might have gotten me to PS stage after looking at the 2017 thread- some applicants had 37. Also, when I compare my score to the previous year (2016, with DA), I am one point into the boundary for being considered in the personal statement stage.

Edit: Forgot my SJT mark
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest