The Student Room Group

Pepzi's journey to Medicine :D

I've been considering medicine for the past 6 years after a close relative died (before that I hated the idea of it), and after a brief wobble with some personal problems I'm once again determined to do it. I'm making this thread to motivate myself and see my progress over the coming years.

So I'm going into year 11 in 3 days and these are my predicted grades:
English Language - 8
English Literature - 8
Maths - 9
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 8
Physics - 8
Geography - 9
Religious Studies - 9
French - 8

I'll be applying to sixth form soon and I'll be taking:
- Biology
- Chemistry
- Maths
- EPQ (undecided as to what topic yet, although I've got ages to decide xD).

I'll be taking a gap year after sixth form because that's just what I'd prefer to do. I don't plan to apply for deferred entry - I'll be applying with known A level grades.

I've also got some work experience volunteering at a school for children with special needs over a period of 6 months. Whether this counts or not, I don't know, but it's just a starting point that I can build on.

Medical schools I like the look of:
- Lancaster
- UCL
- St Andrews
- Edinburgh
Obviously this list will probably change, I just thought I'd put the list here. I'm interested in med schools that look at the UKCAT and not the BMAT.

I'll be updating this thread every few days with what I've revised, what I'm doing etc.

For my GCSE's I'm making flashcards and posters for all my content using CGP guides and the specification until I've finished all the content (hopefully by New Years). After that I'll be focusing on reviewing these resources and doing lots of past papers.

So far this Summer I've revised:
- Biology Unit 1 (Cell Biology)
- Chemistry Unit 1 (Atomic Structure and the Periodic Table)
- Physics Unit 1 (Energy)
- Religious Studies Unit 1 (Christian Beliefs, Teachings and Practices)
- Geography Unit 1A (The Challenge of Natural Hazards)
- Chemistry Unit 2 (Bonding, Structure and Properties of Matter)

By the time I go back to school I want to revise:
- Biology Unit 2 (Organisation)
- Physics Unit 2 (Electricity)
Will probably also read through my English Literature texts (Macbeth, A Christmas Carol, An Inspector Calls and the Power & Conflict anthology).

So yeah, that's all for now :biggrin:

Also, feel free to share any tips/advice about anything I've mentioned in this post.
Original post by Pepzi_Kola

Looking good so far. It's important to gain work experience in a clinical environment e.g general practice, hospital so you can gain a real insight into the field, if you can arrange this either for year 11 or 12 it would be great and save you much stress later on.

I wouldn't worry too much about the rest of the application process yet ( Choosing a med school, admissions tests , gap years ect ) because it's far too early and you may change your mind.

Mainly just work hard on your GCSE's to give yourself the best chance and also use the free time you have now on for the extra curricular stuff you enjoy.
Original post by HopelessMedic
Looking good so far. It's important to gain work experience in a clinical environment e.g general practice, hospital so you can gain a real insight into the field, if you can arrange this either for year 11 or 12 it would be great and save you much stress later on.

I wouldn't worry too much about the rest of the application process yet ( Choosing a med school, admissions tests , gap years ect ) because it's far too early and you may change your mind.

Mainly just work hard on your GCSE's to give yourself the best chance and also use the free time you have now on for the extra curricular stuff you enjoy.

Yeah I'm currently looking to arrange some experience in my local hospital/GP surgery for when I finish year 11, before I start sixth form. Thank you :smile:
Having to redo most of my revision resources because I left them in reach of my siblings - whoops xD

So now I've done:
- Biology Unit 1 (Cell Biology)
- Physics Unit 1 (Energy)
- Religious Studies Unit 1 (Christian Beliefs, Teachings and Practices)

Also made a revision timetable to make sure I actually do something productive with my time (otherwise I'd be on TSR 24/7 :biggrin:)

My form tutor is currently helping me organise work experience at my local hospital which is good.

My Chemistry predicted grade went up to a 9 which I guess is pretty cool. Pretty nervous about A level Chemistry next year as it's only recently that I've been excelling at it. However I'm starting to enjoy it quite a bit which is good :smile:

I'm really enjoying year 11 so far. I apply to sixth form soon :O
Changing my revision style as I'm going through too many flashcards and they're not as effective as they should be. I'm using the specifications, endorsed textbooks and CGP guides now to make sure I write notes on everything I need to know. I've done Physics Unit 1 (Energy) and the first half of RE Unit 1 (Christian Beliefs and Teachings). Tonight I aim to do half of Geography Unit 2A (Urban Issues and Challenges) because my mocks start in 3 weeks and my Geography mock will be on this Unit.

Recently did an RE, Chemistry and English Language assessment and I got 100%, 91% and 100% respectively :biggrin: I've never had a natural aptitude for these subjects so I guess my revision and attitude is paying off.

Quick Reply

Latest