AS Level English Literature or AS Level Philosophy?

Watch
lyanu
Badges: 10
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello all, the sixth form I'm hoping to attend in September still does AS Levels in one subject if you choose to (just in case anyone was confused).

So I was fairly certain of taking English Literature for around 6 months now, however I've recently become more interested in Philosophy and the course.
I have until Tuesday to finalise my choices.

I was wondering if anyone on here took one, or both, and could give me advice on the difficulty of the courses, and how much they enjoyed them.

The other subjects I'm taking are Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. I'm hoping to study something to do with Neuroscience or Psychiatry, or perhaps Pharmacy in the future. Because of this, I don't feel that either English or Philosophy would make a large difference at RG Unis. Is this assumption correct?

I know that Maths would be an obvious option to some of you, but I struggled hugely at GCSE and I'd rather get a better grade in an essay based course.
My GCSE grades were: 7 in Maths, 8 in Eng Lang, 9 in Eng Lit, A* in the triple sciences, A* in History, A in Music, B in Art and an A in French.

I'm planning on going to a bookshop tomorrow to look through revision guides for both subjects.

Thank you!
LeszekKolakowski
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Since you did so well at Literature in GCSE's that's the obvious answer, however you'll have to check out the spec and make your own decision.
Philosophy is the study of fundamental questions and the way it is marked varies widely depending on what course and exam board you do the subject with, however English is much easier (in my opinion) to know how to improve and where you are wrong.
Philosophy would complement your choice of subjects the best, but Literature would still help complement them in more ways than you may think.
I had a bad experience with AQA A Level RE: Philosophy& Ethics (I had to do RSS08, RSS01, RST4B) and my teachers were fairly incompetent which relied me putting in a lot more work than needed in comparison to OCR English Literature, as well as resitting a 3 hour exam.
But, I love philosophy personally and chose to study it at University with Sociology, because my own independent study of philosophy (Nietzsche, Sartre and Bertand Russell) were much better than the A Level (religiously focused Philosophy).
In conclusion, Philosophy is a good choice if you're prepared for a lot independent study and are a good writer that can write unique essays. Whereas, English is a slightly easier choice which requires less study and is much more clear on how to get a good grade and improve your grade, although less interesting and won't likely overlap as much with your other topics.

My grades were
A - English Literature (OCR)
A - Sociology (AQA)
B - Religious Education (Philosophy & Ethics course AQA)

Hopefully this helps, if you want any advice or pointers PM me but other than that check your specification and past papers.
lyanu
Badges: 10
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by LeszekKolakowski)
Since you did so well at Literature in GCSE's that's the obvious answer, however you'll have to check out the spec and make your own decision.
Philosophy is the study of fundamental questions and the way it is marked varies widely depending on what course and exam board you do the subject with, however English is much easier (in my opinion) to know how to improve and where you are wrong.
Philosophy would complement your choice of subjects the best, but Literature would still help complement them in more ways than you may think.
I had a bad experience with AQA A Level RE: Philosophy& Ethics (I had to do RSS08, RSS01, RST4B) and my teachers were fairly incompetent which relied me putting in a lot more work than needed in comparison to OCR English Literature, as well as resitting a 3 hour exam.
But, I love philosophy personally and chose to study it at University with Sociology, because my own independent study of philosophy (Nietzsche, Sartre and Bertand Russell) were much better than the A Level (religiously focused Philosophy).
In conclusion, Philosophy is a good choice if you're prepared for a lot independent study and are a good writer that can write unique essays. Whereas, English is a slightly easier choice which requires less study and is much more clear on how to get a good grade and improve your grade, although less interesting and won't likely overlap as much with your other topics.

My grades were
A - English Literature (OCR)
A - Sociology (AQA)
B - Religious Education (Philosophy & Ethics course AQA)

Hopefully this helps, if you want any advice or pointers PM me but other than that check your specification and past papers.
Thank you so much for your reply! I decided to take English Literature as I already know what to expect from the course and as you said, I did well in it at GCSE. It was a difficult decision to make though, hopefully I won't regret it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
13.21%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.03%
I need help with filling out the application form (8)
5.03%
I need help with my personal statement (68)
42.77%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (38)
23.9%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.89%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (13)
8.18%

Watched Threads