The Student Room Group

Personal statement

I'm going into year 12 and kind of worried about having to write my personal statement. I have no idea what I would say because I pretty much do nothing
If you are only just starting sixth form then you don't need to worry too much about your personal statement yet! I'm just entering y13 and I have only just started drafting. The first year will give you a chance to do extra curricular activities such as volunteering, work experience and extra reading :smile:
Original post by Reece.W.J
I'm going into year 12 and kind of worried about having to write my personal statement. I have no idea what I would say because I pretty much do nothing

Then you have one whole year to change that.
Original post by xX_Luceee_Xx
If you are only just starting sixth form then you don't need to worry too much about your personal statement yet! I'm just entering y13 and I have only just started drafting. The first year will give you a chance to do extra curricular activities such as volunteering, work experience and extra reading :smile:

Ok thank you. I though it needed to be done quite soon

No Problem! In my school the UCAS process begins in the last few weeks of year 12 where you fill in your personal details but personal statement writing doesn't officially begin until y13.

You won't start even looking at universities in sixth form until the last few weeks of first year. Applications open mid-late September and don't close until end of January. It's good to get a head start so you could start researching what to and what not to include there is plenty of information on this I believe theres a Youtube video of a lady from Imperial who spends like an hour on this.
No Problem! In my school the UCAS process begins in the last few weeks of year 12 where you fill in your personal details but personal statement writing doesn't officially begin until y13.

Ok what could I do through year 12 to build up things to say. I'm currently thinking of doing accounting and finance at uni and doing WBQ economics maths and chemistry a level
Reply 7
I'd just suggest working out what course you want to do and start looking at unis before worrying about the personal statement. Also, once you know what course you want to do start doing supercurricular things like taster days and reading books that will look good on your ps
Ok what could I do through year 12 to build up things to say. I'm currently thinking of doing accounting and finance at uni and doing WBQ economics maths and chemistry a level

I began looking for reading materials which I could read over the summer and talk about in my personal statement. For example, I am looking to study Computer Science and I am currently reading 'Code: The Hidden Language of Computer Hardware and Software' which I found on a reading list. There will be plenty of reading lists available online for your course i'm sure!

Work experience would be very useful for your personal statement even if its not directly related to your course. Most placements will give you transferable skills that you can talk about such as team working and communication. Additionally, volunteering could be useful :smile:

Hope this helped!
I began looking for reading materials which I could read over the summer and talk about in my personal statement. For example, I am looking to study Computer Science and I am currently reading 'Code: The Hidden Language of Computer Hardware and Software' which I found on a reading list. There will be plenty of reading lists available online for your course i'm sure!

Work experience would be very useful for your personal statement even if its not directly related to your course. Most placements will give you transferable skills that you can talk about such as team working and communication. Additionally, volunteering could be useful :smile:

Hope this helped!

I worked at my uncles business in year 11 and got shown around the ins and outs of the business and worked mostly with the head of HR. Would that be good? I also know an accountant so might be able to get work experience for a week or so there as well
I worked at my uncles business in year 11 and got shown around the ins and outs of the business and worked mostly with the head of HR. Would that be good? I also know an accountant so might be able to get work experience for a week or so there as well

Yeah they would both be good! Getting work experience with an accountant would be especially because it shows your interest in the course you are looking to apply for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending