Turn on thread page Beta

An Athiest Teacher Meets Her Match watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    the existence of god can neither be proven or refuted as there is no evidence, at all. so in effect this is a pointless discussion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slartibartfast)
    the existence of god can neither be proven or refuted as there is no evidence, at all. so in effect this is a pointless discussion.
    Fear says otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    heh yeh wow some ppl need to calm down. that said not being religious myself i do struggle to see why some religious people do have such a chip on their shoulder about proving god exists, they of all people should know that its not a logical thing.

all rather boring - tbh just have this argument in your head - if gods still there well.. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seeko)
    An Atheist Teacher meets her match

One day a 6 year old girl was sitting in a classroom. The teacher was going to explain evolution to the children. The teacher asked a little boy:

TEACHER : Tommy, do you see the tree outside?
    TOMMY : Yes.

TEACHER : Tommy, do you see the grass outside?

TEACHER : Go outside and look up and see if you can see the sky.
    TOMMY : Okay. (He returned a few minutes later) Yes, I saw the sky.

TEACHER : Did you see God?
    TOMMY : No.

TEACHER : That's my point. We can't see God because he isn't there. He doesn't exist.

A little girl spoke up and wanted to ask the boy some questions. The teacher agreed and the little girl asked the boy :

LITTLE FAATHIMA : Tommy, do you see the tree outside?

LITTLE FAATHIMA : Tommy, do you see the grass outside?
    TOMMY : Yesssssssss (getting tired of the questions by this time).

LITTLE FAATHIMA : Did you see the sky?
    TOMMY : Yessssssssss.

LITTLE FAATHIMA : Tommy, do you see the teacher?

LITTLE FAATHIMA : Do you see her brain?
    TOMMY : No.

LITTLE FAATHIMA : Then according to what we were taught today in school, she must not have one!!!

p.s. here comes the attacks...
    Haha!!! I didn't believe in god before I read that, but now I have read it, I can see that God has to exist.

ReputationRep:
    indeed. tis mightily convincing i must admit. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infekt)
    Finally a newbie i like .... at least he breaks the ice with a joke
    Joke? You call that a joke? I've heard better gags from a man choking to death.

ReputationRep:
    Hey lemme ask you (who don't believe in God) when did you decide you were an athiest? How old were u? Just curious .

P.S. for the millionth time...no1 is tryna converttttt uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theoffender)
    Haha!!! I didn't believe in god before I read that, but now I have read it, I can see that God has to exist.
    You're kidding, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seeko)
    LITTLE FAATHIMA : Then according to what we were taught today in school, she must not have one!!!
    the same can be said for STIs. although some anti-fungal manufacturers would argue that they can be seen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    well that really ripped the fun out of it.
    Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seeko)
    Hey lemme ask you (who don't believe in God) when did you decide you were an athiest? How old were u? Just curious .
    Athier than who?

ReputationRep:
    It just generally happened that I started to show less interest in the idea there was a God... I don't go around saying there's no God, but I just can't mentally reason the fact there is to be honest. I can still respect other peoples opinions even though I don't agree with them tho :-/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DivideByZero)
    You're kidding, right?
    i think maybe.

some real idiots out there. i read a good thing on truth today - this weeks newscientist.

ReputationRep:
    It's all very well to just say: "God cannot be proven or disproven", but you have to remember that there are a lot of things in science that can be summarised in the same sentence. In fact, if we resort to pedantry and general 'being-a-****-ness', we can argue that all scientific principles are under this banner of scrutiny.

For instance, the theory of evolution faces the same dilemma; it can't be proven or disproven. But anyone with half a brain or common sense will say that it is a basic and accepted scientific principle that is as likely to be incorrect as it is for boomerangs to fly out of my arse.

We need to look at God with the same pessimism and scrutiny. True, there is no verifiable evidence that states He does or does not exist, but you must look at the wider picture. All the records of His existence are in books in half a dozen languages with inconsistencies, translational errors and subjective interpretation. On the other hand, rival explanations for the universe's existence are put down to verifiable, documented scientific evidence.

Plus, as someone pointed out, science has established that the most likely cause for these feelings of 'His presence' has been EM fields interfering with the brain. So, not only has science proposed a logical and reasonable idea for the existence of the universe and its mannerisms, it has discredited most of religion's sources.

We will never prove or disprove it, but we must once again come back to the principle of Occam's razor. It's FAR MORE LIKELY that He doesnt exist, so why not for all intents and purposes assume that He doesn't, until evidence shows otherwise? It's good science.

ReputationRep:
    people who are religious or "have faith", always go on about looking for something more. when asked what more theyre looking for that doesnt exist they are stumped, or say things like more than we know. What they mean is they want to believe something which we have no good reason to believe in.

i thought that was an interesting point anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhilipsCDRW)
    When someone invents a new theory he normally has to prove it to be true before it is accepted, or at least dispel the arguments and evidence against it.
    No a theory is just that, a hypothesis, a supposition, an assumption.

If it is then proved to be true it is no longer a theory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    It becomes a theorem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    No a theory is just that, a hypothesis, a supposition, an assumption.

All science is theory. It cannot be proved, but it can be disproved. Observed phenomena are combined and explained by a particular theory. Other hypotheses are drawn from it- it these hypotheses are fulfilled it is evidence for the theory, if they aren't the theory is disproved. Religion is a theory- or rather many theories- with no evidence to support them. They can be and are adapted to absorb anything and so cannot be disproved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    All science is theory. It cannot be proved, but it can be disproved. Observed phenomena are combined and explained by a particular theory. Other hypotheses are drawn from it- it these hypotheses are fulfilled it is evidence for the theory, if they aren't the theory is disproved. Religion is a theory- or rather many theories- with no evidence to support them. They can be and are adapted to absorb anything and so cannot be disproved.

HUH???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    HUH???
    What don't you understand?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.