The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

DivideByZero
What's so funny about that? I choose not to make faith beliefs.

I completely, positively and with no equivocation have absolutely, definately no position on this issue.
immortal
You mean God doesn't exist for you. God doesn't exist in any named incarnation for me either, but it does for other people. That's why it is a belief.

Belief that god exists doesn't mean that god exists.
Reply 62
ChemistBoy
Belief that god exists doesn't mean that god exists.

Since everything is relative anyway, belief in the big bang doesn't mean it happened, but believing it makes it real for a person.
immortal
Since everything is relative anyway, belief in the big bang doesn't mean it happened, but believing it makes it real for a person.

Show me the data that supports the belief that god exists.
Reply 64
ChemistBoy
Show me the data that supports the belief that god exists.

I wouldn't know - I don't believe in he/she/it (screw it : shim). I just thought you were a little out of line.

All I know is millions of people belive, and it makes it real enough for them.
immortal
I just thought you were a little out of line.

How? For stating that personal belief doesn't make something real? Common sense surely?

All I know is millions of people belive, and it makes it real enough for them.

So what? 10% of americans believe they have been abducted by aliens.
Reply 66
Yes, and whats important is that they believe it, and it is true to them. Because no-one really knows anything you just have to take everything with a pinch of salt.
immortal
Yes, and whats important is that they believe it, and it is true to them.

But it is still not real.

Because no-one really knows anything you just have to take everything with a pinch of salt.

Yes, so why believe in anything that is so unfounded?
Reply 68
Because I guess it makes life a little easier. It's like having a security blanket which simplifies things people don't understand.

Personally, all human evil I put down to human nature, whereas someone else may believe it were the influence of an external evil.
immortal
Because I guess it makes life a little easier. It's like having a security blanket which simplifies things people don't understand.

Personally, all human evil I put down to human nature, whereas someone else may believe it were the influence of an external evil.

religion is the reason we still have the caste system in india, why we had the crusades, why Iran treats woman badly, why hundreds of thousands of women were burnt alive in the middle ages because they were thought to be witches, why aids have still be spread easily in africa, ect. Its far from the harmless.......
Reply 70
Incomplete
religion is the reason we still have the caste system in india, why we had the crusades, why Iran treats woman badly, why hundreds of thousands of women were burnt alive in the middle ages because they were thought to be witches, why aids have still be spread easily in africa, ect. Its far from the harmless.......

I didn't say it was harmless - I said it simplified things for people. The simple things aren't always harmless.
PhilipsCDRW
Well then, did birds evolve from running lizards or gliding lizards?

Buttercups are very simple plants, that can survive nearly anywhere. Orchids are very complex plants that can only survive in very specific environments. Which is the more evolved? The survivor or the complex?

Also, evolution postulates a series of gradual changes, when each change results in a new type of organism that is better able to survive. Where are all the intermediate organisms? If bats evolved from rats, where are all the bat/rat composites and how could any be better than the basic rat?

Where are all the missing links? There aren't ANY. All fossils can be identified as belonging to a specific species. There aren't any missing link fossils!

I bow to your up to date knowledge of evolutionary theory and it's evidence, not.
immortal

What makes me wonder is why they don't go and try and find out about what they don't understand instead of ascribing it to some deity.
Reply 73
ChemistBoy
What makes me wonder is why they don't go and try and find out about what they don't understand instead of ascribing it to some deity.

Because they want life to be simple. They somehow don't want to know - so the brain creates something that is within reason, and is accepted by them.
immortal
Because they want life to be simple. They somehow don't want to know - so the brain creates something that is within reason, and is accepted by them.

Oh well, makes me happier that religion is for insular simpletons.
Reply 75
ChemistBoy
Oh well, makes me happier that religion is for insular simpletons.

I'm glad.
immortal
I didn't say it was harmless - I said it simplified things for people. The simple things aren't always harmless.

but often are as i have shown with examples you have completely ignored the amout of hatred religion has led too
Reply 77
Incomplete
but often are as i have shown with examples you have completely ignored the amout of hatred religion has led too

How often? When often? Huh? If you read my posts, or knew the first thing about me, you would know I'm trying to tone it down because I believe organised religion is bad. Very bad.

To sum up soming Kay said in men in black (I just watched it) 'A person is smart. People are dumb'
immortal
How often? When often? Huh?
well Indians in the other caste (the untouchables) experience hatred every minute of their life and have done for the last 200 years and more
immortal

If you read my posts, or knew the first thing about me, you would know I'm trying to tone it down because I believe organised religion is bad. Very bad.

To sum up soming Kay said in men in black (I just watched it) 'A person is smart. People are dumb'

If you are aware of the hatred why support an ideology that has led to so many deaths have no proof backing it up and is philisophically illogical.
Reply 79
sisyphus
What a stupid post. So, the teacher used a crap argument. God still doesn't exist.

That's exactly what I wanted to say.

Latest

Trending

Trending