Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

An Athiest Teacher Meets Her Match watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Incomplete)
    well Indians in the other caste (the untouchables) experience hatred every minute of their life and have done for the last 200 years and more

If you are aware of the hatred why support an ideology that has led to so many deaths have no proof backing it up and is philisophically illogical.
    Because it isn't nice to attack peoples beliefs - it's like a believer attacking your belief there is no God.

The idea behind it (religion), buried deep down has a good message, but the problem is, people rarely get it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by immortal)
    Because it isn't nice to attack peoples beliefs - it's like a believer attacking your belief there is no God.

The idea behind it (religion), buried deep down has a good message, but the problem is, people rarely get it.
    Its not nice to kill people either in the name of God but that happens far more often than the thing you have described. And you have assumed alot about my beliefs there.

In your opinon its a good message however the problem is so many people intrept it in other ways the world would be better off without it. On top of that there is no evedince that can be replicated that he exists and hence hte onus of proof is on believes to prove he exists as you cannot prove a negative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhilipsCDRW)
    Where are all the missing links?
    In the fossil record
    There aren't ANY. All fossils can be identified as belonging to a specific species. There aren't any missing link fossils!
    There are millions of missing link fossils- they link with previous and successor fossils in the same species. Take a look at any comprehensive book on evolution.

ReputationRep:
    So if someone believed you should be burned alive you wouldn't attack their belief because it wouldn't be "nice"?
    I have no objection to believers attacking my nonbelief. It is the fact that many believers would attack me personally if they could that I object to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samdavyson)
    That's exactly what I wanted to say.
    It's a joke.

ReputationRep:
    Absolute rubbish - defending your theories against criticism is a core tennet of scientific principle.

ReputationRep:
    Well then, did birds evolve from running lizards or gliding lizards?
    The skeleton of the primitive bird Archaeopteryx was discovered just two years after Darwin published On the Origin of Species in 1859 and was quickly cited both as evidence of a transitional ‘missing link’ between birds and reptiles and more generally as proof of the utility of the fossil record in preserving evolutionary intermediates. Bearing teeth and a long bony tail absent in all living birds, yet with exquisitely preserved feathers on its wings and tail, it became the main focus of all studies on bird origins for over a century. This isn't to say that Archaeopteryx was the definite ancestor of modern birds (it probably wasn't) but it is certainly evidence of intermediate organisms in the branching tree of life between reptiles and birds.

Buttercups are very simple plants, that can survive nearly anywhere. Orchids are very complex plants that can only survive in very specific environments. Which is the more evolved? The survivor or the complex?
    The idea that one organism can 'more evolved' than another has no basis in science. Evolution does not progress to some kind of 'ideal' creature. Humans are not 'more evolved' than bacteria. Each organism is perfectly adapted to its own ecological niche. If the environmental conditions change, the species will become extinct or the few individuals that have some kind of advantage over the other members of their species will survive and pass on their genes to their offspring, leading gradually to new species after millions of years.

Also, evolution postulates a series of gradual changes, when each change results in a new type of organism that is better able to survive. Where are all the intermediate organisms? If bats evolved from rats, where are all the bat/rat composites and how could any be better than the basic rat?
    The intermediate organisms are present in the fossil record. This record is not a complete catalogue of every creature that has ever existed, since the unique conditions that lead to the formation, preservation and discovery of fossils are so rare. A classic example of the evolutionary history of an animal, with many well-preserved fossils of its various ancestors, is the horse:

From their Asian origin, the hippomorphs spread all over the northern continents. North America became the centre of evolution of true horses, which occasionally migrated to other continents. In Europe, the horse-like palaeotheres substituted for true horses. From Protorohippus (once called Hyracotherium or Eohippus), a dog-sized ancestor with four toes on the front feet that lived 55–50 million years ago, horses evolved into many different lineages living side by side. The three-toed horses Mesohippus and Miohippus (from beds dated about 30–37 million years ago) were once believed to be sequential segments on the unbranched trunk of the horse evolutionary tree. However, they coexisted for millions of years, with five different species of the two genera living at the same time and place. From Miohippus-like ancestors, horses diversified into many different ecological niches, with some species adapted for eating soft, leafy vegetation, and others with high-crowned teeth for eating tough, gritty grasses. About 15 million years ago, there were as many as 12 different lineages of three-toed horses in North America, each with slightly different ecological specializations, and they were analogous to the diversity of modern antelopes in East Africa. On two different occasions (Pliohippus and Dinohippus) three-toed horses evolved into lineages with a single toe on each foot. About five million years ago, most of these three-toed and one-toed horse lineages became extinct, leaving only Dinohippus to evolve into modern Equus.[/QUOTE]

Where are all the missing links? There aren't ANY. All fossils can be identified as belonging to a specific species. There aren't any missing link fossils!
    As well as the above example of the horse, a recent important discovery relating to the evolutionary lineage of humans was Sahelanthropus tchadensis, a hominid fossil that is helping us to understand the taxonomic diversity of hominid evolution 5–7 million years ago. It is proving to be telling evidence of the adaptive radiation of fossil ape-like creatures that included the common ancestor of modern humans and chimpanzees (your 'missing link').

As I said previously, before being so quick to dismiss evolutionary theory, I recommend you read the following books with an open, critical mind, and try not to let your religious preconceptions interfere, so that you can have an informed opinion about the issue. They're quite cheap and short, simply, intelligently and wittily written:

The Origin of Species - Charles Darwin
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...0316140-1535868

Almost Like a Whale: The 'Origin of Species' Updated - Steve Jones

The Blind Watchmaker - Richard Dawkins

ReputationRep:
    I wish I had the time to get that much info. Sadly I've dished out my rep for today so IOU.

ReputationRep:
    I have a few simple questions 4 all those who belive that God does not exist............
    1) How the hell did this damn world came into being??????????can differnet chemicals in a lab jump out of their jars in mix on their own will?? some one has to mix them isnt it???
    2) Why the hell are we on this damn planet??????
    3) I am sure that many of your relative do believe in God, because religion exists from even before the time when this damn planet was created!! Why do u think that God does not exist?

ReputationRep:
    1) Evolution
    2) Because we evolved.
    3) Because there is no need for god.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abdullahhh)
    I have a few simple questions 4 all those who belive that God does not exist............
    1) How the hell did this damn world came into being??????????
    The Big Bang and formation of planets via gravity, etc.

can differnet chemicals in a lab jump out of their jars in mix on their own will?? some one has to mix them isnt it???
    If the chemicals are there and conditions are right, different chemicals can 'jump out' and form simple amino acids and other organic compounds. It only needed to happen once in the 15-billion-year history of the universe.

Why do you need a reason?

3) I am sure that many of your relative do believe in God, because religion exists from even before the time when this damn planet was created!!
    Some of my relatives do believe in god, as do millions of people around the world. That doesn't mean he exists. Millions of people also believe in fairies, ghosts, alien abduction, ESP and Father Christmas.

Why do u think that God does not exist?
    We cannot know for certain that god doesn't exist but where is the evidence that he does exist? Prove to me that god exists and I'll eat my hat.

All the scientific evidence indicates that the universe and life are simply the result of random physical and chemical processes with no rhyme or reason other than the natural laws of physics and chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    1) How the hell did this damn world came into being??????????
    Probably not by being magicked up by some omnipotent being.

can differnet chemicals in a lab jump out of their jars in mix on their own will?? some one has to mix them isnt it???
    That is quite possibly the worst analogy I've heard for the formation of proto-cells. What jars are you talking about?

Cos if we weren't we would be here to ask that question.

3) I am sure that many of your relative do believe in God, because religion exists from even before the time when this damn planet was created!! Why do u think that God does not exist?
    What are you talking about? Relgion is a creation of the human mind, it did not exist before we did. There is no scientific evidence that indicates the presence of 'god'.

ReputationRep:
    A thousand years ago no one had seen heard or felt the planet Pluto or any other far away planet.............rite???
    did it mean that it did not exist????????
    yeah yeah you guys do believe in the big bang........so may be God created the universe with a Bang.
    please read this book by stefen hawkins "A brief history of time"
    According to some experts the universe started expanding after the big bang and at some point started contracting and the there will be the "Big crunch"
    ...........End of universe?? day of judgement??? as written in many Jewish,Christan and Muslim scriptures.

ReputationRep:
    there is no arguement if someone finds comfort in god then that is enough, it shouldnt have to be reasoned, but i suppose that is never enough for some people who think they have so superior intellects that they can say that he doesnt exist

ReputationRep:
    and 1 more thing.........how do you explain LOGICALLY...... the powers given to the prophets by God????????? Moses`s staff which made way through the river and Jesus`s powers of healing and bringing the dead to life??? How did they do it???
    these men were real and were there as all the christans jews and muslims believe...........ofcourse more than 90% off all the people on the face of the earth cant be just bluffing.

and ohh yeah how do you explain black magic???? (if you dont belive that it exist than come to any east Asian state specially India n see 4 yr self)

ReputationRep:
    This is my point of view........
    if you like it accept it if you dont .......no one is forcing you.

ReputationRep:
    and 1 more thing.........how do you explain LOGICALLY...... the powers given to the prophets by God????????? Moses`s staff which made way through the river and Jesus`s powers of healing and bringing the dead to life??? How did they do it???
    They didn't.
    these men were real and were there as all the christans jews and muslims believe...........ofcourse more than 90% off all the people on the face of the earth cant be just bluffing.
    What is your evidence that they were real? They are depicted in books- none of them contemporary with them. There is no objective evidence that they existed or did any of the things it is claimed they did. Even if a majority of people on earth all believed the same thing- which they don't- it would not be evidence it is true. Did the earth suddenly start to go round the sun when Copernicus showed that it did?

and ohh yeah how do you explain black magic???? (if you dont belive that it exist than come to any east Asian state specially India n see 4 yr self)
    Ah. You are the victim of black magic which makes you completeky incapable of thinking logically or using the English language.
    I have no intention of accepting anything so loopy, even if you use black magic to force me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by everton1987)
    there is no arguement if someone finds comfort in drunkenness then that is enough, it shouldnt have to be reasoned, but i suppose that is never enough for some people who think they have so superior intellects that they can say that he doesnt exist

ReputationRep:
    A thousand years ago no one had seen heard or felt the planet Pluto or any other far away planet.............rite???
    did it mean that it did not exist????????
    No, but there was no evidence at that time to support the existance of pluto. If someone shows me evidence that god exists I will believe god exists. It must be borne in mind that the logical premise in believing in other planets within or without our solar system is much more solid than belief in an omnipotent creator.

yeah yeah you guys do believe in the big bang........so may be God created the universe with a Bang.
    Maybe he [sic] didn't.

please read this book by stefen hawkins "A brief history of time"
    I have, it's ****.

According to some experts the universe started expanding after the big bang and at some point started contracting and the there will be the "Big crunch"
    ...........End of universe?? day of judgement??? as written in many Jewish,Christan and Muslim scriptures.
    No, it's the big crunch, where in the Bible, Talmud or Qu'ran does it say "and the universe will collapse in on itself due to its own gravity" ?

ReputationRep:
    The point is that the universe will be destroyed after all and thats wut these books say........
    Look at the sun the moon the stars and the way they float in their orbits.......
    look at the trees do you think they came into being by them self?? and that they are doing all these things on their own??

if there is a tree with a million leaves, the probability that a leaf falls on its own is 1/million
    but if you ( a knowledgable and sensible person) has to pick up a leaf, u will pick it as a 1/1 probability
    as u know the leaf which u will pick
    so, this universe cannot exist on its own
    as the probability is 1/a trillion trillion...........= Zero ( do it on your calculator!)

secondly, the big bang has a major flaw
    big bang says = 1 unit mass, zero unit volume = infinite density ..... explosion
    this created space and time
    an explosion usually destroys , not creates
    and where was this 1 unit mass?

science says that energy can neither be created nor destroyed. is`nt it???
    so where did the energy of the sun came from initially???

There have been people who have seen God and talked to him (the prophets)
    similarly if a scientist says that he found a new planet XYZ..you belive him blindly even when you have not your self seen it.....so when the prophet says that God exists then why dont you believe him????

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.