The Student Room Group

resit alevels to transfer to a better uni?

Needed advice on my situation:

I was preparing to do retakes after my a level exams. Got my results and didnt get into my firm or insurance.

D- chemistry
C- biology
A-history

School told me to apply through clearing, managed to find a place at a uni for biomedical science.

I realised i was better off going to uni, rather than being stuck in my hometown, working a min wage job to pass time- couldnt even guarantee i'd find work experience. I also realised I'd have to resubmit a completely new uca application, with a completely new ps and idk if i could handle that stress.

My parents are already annoyed at me for flipping from going to uni to resitting all the time. So needed advice:

Does it really matter for biomedical science what uni you do your course at as long as you get good grades?

I was thinking of doing my first year and resitting the 4 exams in total from bio and chem that I did badly in at the end of the year. With the hopes of either transfering to UCL or another uni for the second year, or just having better a level grades that wont hold me back in the future. Because even with a really good degree and work experience (plan to do a year in industry with nhs to become a healthcare scientist), my a level grades could make the difference no?

From what i gathered first year is chaotic and its more about settling in and a lot of people tend to spend a lot of time out and hanging out.

I've already started revising for my resits since the beginning of summer whilst working a 30 hour job and made a lot of improvement and getting better grades already after 2 months of solid revision. I dont want that to go to waste, so thinking if its a good idea to sign up as a private candidate and retaking in the summer?

unis only 3 days a week, i'd have all my evenings to complete my uni ****. Then revise for resits on the 2 extra days. Weekends i'd be at home, so completing any extra assignments and extra revision. Not thinking of getting a part time job this year because saved up enough money the past couple years.

Is it worth it? What are my chances of getting a transfer if I am retaking, because most expect you to meet their a level entry requirments aswell. I know someone who retook their maths alevels, i'd only be doing a couple exams.
Retake your A levels, and reapply.

If you can't do better than a D in Chemistry, any degree in this area will be a frustrating 3 year struggle.
You need to get your skills up to the right level and do this properly.

You dont retake A levels during your first year at Uni. No Uni would look at you. You get your A levels sorted out and then apply.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Do you want to transfer into 2nd year or start again from 1st year?

If you want to transfer into 2nd year after completing a year at your current university, then most universities will consider you based on your A Levels as well as your most recent academic qualification. You would need to meet their standard A Level requirements, as well as their criteria for 1st year e.g they might say you need a 2.1 in 1st year in order to transfer.

Email all of the universities you're interested in, tell them your A Level grades and the current course you're on, and ask them if you would be eligible to transfer, if you were to make an application. Some universities don't accept transfers at all, some will say you need to meet the A Level criteria, others will say your most recent academic qualification (1st year grade) is the most important thing.
Make your decision to resit A Levels after seeing what the university admissions say.

Also, from my experience there are certain universities which do not accept transfers into Biomedical Sciences at all, as they require all students to complete the exact same 1st year modules. Take a look at the 1st year modules at your current university and your chosen universities - they are more likely to give you an offer to transfer if your 1st year modules are similar.
Original post by Petulia
You would need to meet their standard A Level requirements, as well as their criteria for 1st year e.g they might say you need a 2.1 in 1st year in order to transfer.

Because Universities are not stupid. They will not take an A level student who thought they could get in with rubbish grades via some sort of back-door. You will discover that only Unis that are desperate for students will accept mid-course transfers - the sort of Unis that put this subject into Clearing, ie. much like the one where you have a place.

In reality, you'll start at this Uni and you'll have a great time, and realise that transferring is a waste of time and energy because where you are is fine. OR, you will decide that you dont want to go to that Uni, and want to retake your A levels and apply to other Unis next year.

Either way, its something you need to work out yourself, and stop regarding A level grades as some sort of personal vanity test that you can fix whilst at Uni.
(edited 6 years ago)
I know this is super late compared to this thread! I’m in a similar situation. Personal issues at home mean that I really need to try to live closer to home and I’ve just started uni about 3hrs away. I don’t want to drop out but I looked into transferring to the closest uni to my area and they have higher entry req at a level than what I have so if I tried to transfer without resitting there’s no way I’d get in, so potentially my only option is to resit whilst doing first year so I would have the grades to get into the local uni. I don’t really know what to do. It’s so expensive to drop out so a transfer would be ideal but I know it’s so unlikely they’ll accept me
Original post by hurthelium
I know this is super late compared to this thread! I’m in a similar situation. Personal issues at home mean that I really need to try to live closer to home and I’ve just started uni about 3hrs away. I don’t want to drop out but I looked into transferring to the closest uni to my area and they have higher entry req at a level than what I have so if I tried to transfer without resitting there’s no way I’d get in, so potentially my only option is to resit whilst doing first year so I would have the grades to get into the local uni. I don’t really know what to do. It’s so expensive to drop out so a transfer would be ideal but I know it’s so unlikely they’ll accept me

Have you spoken to the local university about your situation and your grades.

Sometimes universities will accept year 1 study alongside lower A levels for entry into first year. Sometimes they’ll just accept slightly lower grades than advertised.

I have NEVER known an applicant successfully resit A levels alongside first year of a degree without one of those two suffering. Trying to half arse 2 things doesn’t work in this case.

Latest

Trending

Trending