The Student Room Group

subject help?

Would anyone be able to give me some advice/experiences on a few alevels im considering (if you enjoyed it, workload, how interesting, what the exams are like, difficulty, even what grades you got compared to gcse?)
biology
maths
government and politics
english literature
history
psychology

thanks in advance!!!
Original post by ymmsl
Would anyone be able to give me some advice/experiences on a few alevels im considering (if you enjoyed it, workload, how interesting, what the exams are like, difficulty, even what grades you got compared to gcse?)
biology
maths
government and politics
english literature
history
psychology

thanks in advance!!!

I did psychology and english literature.
psychology was a roller coaster honestly the structuring of how to answer questions was crazy. The subject in general is very interesting if you're interested in the mind and behaviours of humans that i will admit. just practise exam strategies and you'll love it. (there are alot of units though, my folder was crazy i had like 6 dividers for each folder)

English literature, my goodness where do i begin? okay so first of all there is alot of reading and for the exam board at my school you couldn't have texts in the exam so you would have to be good at memorising quotes. it's wayyyyy different than GCSE now you have to use critics quotes which again I had to memorise as well as their freaking names and also you have to do extra reading so you have stuff to compare your texts to. The good thing about english lit is that the books can be amazing and if you like the book you find it easier to write about.

lol hope i haven't put you off they were challenging in a good way :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by ann_kayy
I did psychology and english literature.
psychology was a roller coaster honestly the structuring of how to answer questions was crazy. The subject in general is very interesting if you're interested in the mind and behaviours of humans that i will admit. just practise exam strategies and you'll love it. (there are alot of units though, my folder was crazy i had like 6 dividers for each folder)

English literature, my goodness where do i begin? okay so first of all there is alot of reading and for the exam board at my school you couldn't have texts in the exam so you would have to be good at memorising quotes. it's wayyyyy different than GCSE now you have to use critics quotes which again I had to memorise as well as their freaking names and also you have to do extra reading so you have stuff to compare your texts to. The good thing about english lit is that the books can be amazing and if you like the book you find it easier to write about.

lol hope i haven't put you off they were challenging in a good way :smile:

thank you!! and no you havent lmao but in psychology how much research is there, or is it mainly learning new information??
English Literature - I have a love hate relationship with this subject. It used to be my favourite, but due to poor teaching I've really gone off it over the last couple of years. I had six teachers over the course of last year, which was wild. They were of varying quality, and I'm really hoping I get a good teacher for my second year. For my exam board, you don't have to go about memorising critical literature or anything like that, but you do have to really know your texts. You have to go a lot more in depth and you have to really understand the context you're working with. The essays are much harder to write, so you need to get a lot of writing practise if you want to do well. At GCSE, I got an A grade, and I'm heading towards an A at A-Level hopefully, but don't take that as an example. I know people who got A*s at GCSE who are getting Cs and Bs now.

History - I utterly love this subject, but I'm in rather a minority. There's lots of reading, writing, and note-taking. It's incredibly content heavy and you need to know a lot of stuff. The essays are, again, much harder, and there's a lot more analysis involved there. It's less about describing events individually and more about looking at a collection of events and how they contribute to an overall theme. It's a very challenging subject and I wouldn't recommend taking it, or English Lit, unless you really enjoy the subject.
Original post by ymmsl
thank you!! and no you havent lmao but in psychology how much research is there, or is it mainly learning new information??

With psychology we were taught from scratch and all the information was in the textbooks we were given so don't worry about it. you can come in knowing nothing and get through it which is what 90% of my class did :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by StevetheIcecube
English Literature - I have a love hate relationship with this subject. It used to be my favourite, but due to poor teaching I've really gone off it over the last couple of years. I had six teachers over the course of last year, which was wild. They were of varying quality, and I'm really hoping I get a good teacher for my second year. For my exam board, you don't have to go about memorising critical literature or anything like that, but you do have to really know your texts. You have to go a lot more in depth and you have to really understand the context you're working with. The essays are much harder to write, so you need to get a lot of writing practise if you want to do well. At GCSE, I got an A grade, and I'm heading towards an A at A-Level hopefully, but don't take that as an example. I know people who got A*s at GCSE who are getting Cs and Bs now.

History - I utterly love this subject, but I'm in rather a minority. There's lots of reading, writing, and note-taking. It's incredibly content heavy and you need to know a lot of stuff. The essays are, again, much harder, and there's a lot more analysis involved there. It's less about describing events individually and more about looking at a collection of events and how they contribute to an overall theme. It's a very challenging subject and I wouldn't recommend taking it, or English Lit, unless you really enjoy the subject.

thank you ahh, for history is there alot of memorisation of dates as i struggled with that at gcse ??
Original post by ymmsl
thank you ahh, for history is there alot of memorisation of dates as i struggled with that at gcse ??

It's still important, but compared to the rest of the content it makes up very little of it and you can get away with just referencing what you know! I would say learn the dates of very important events that you're very likely to talk about in an essay. Basically, you don't have to date everything you write about, but it helps to know a couple.

If it's at all comforting, I consider date learning the weakest point of my knowledge, except maybe learning economic facts and figures - I'm better with concepts than facts. My tips for date learning:
1. Make a timeline chronologically - it's revision of content too. But, don't do it with all the fancy drawing lines and boxes, just make it a plain list on a laptop so you can add earlier and later dates as you go along. This is especially helpful if you have a topic that you studied thematically rather than chronologically.
2. Don't copy a timeline from a textbook timeline. Instead, go through your notes, and as you read, pick them out.
3. That said, when making notes, give EVERYTHING a date. It'll help when you come back to it later.
4. Make revision notes, and then, when you go back through them, underline your dates in a different colour. I have two coloured pens for my revision - one to underline key concepts, and the other for dates. It helps them stick out in your mind, and you'll be able to see them easily if you read through again!

A final note of encouragement - my History teacher was a lecturer. She has a PhD, she speaks three or four languages, and she's HOPELESS with dates. She cannot remember the dates in our course at all! So really, it doesn't matter all that much.
Reply 7
Original post by StevetheIcecube
It's still important, but compared to the rest of the content it makes up very little of it and you can get away with just referencing what you know! I would say learn the dates of very important events that you're very likely to talk about in an essay. Basically, you don't have to date everything you write about, but it helps to know a couple.

If it's at all comforting, I consider date learning the weakest point of my knowledge, except maybe learning economic facts and figures - I'm better with concepts than facts. My tips for date learning:
1. Make a timeline chronologically - it's revision of content too. But, don't do it with all the fancy drawing lines and boxes, just make it a plain list on a laptop so you can add earlier and later dates as you go along. This is especially helpful if you have a topic that you studied thematically rather than chronologically.
2. Don't copy a timeline from a textbook timeline. Instead, go through your notes, and as you read, pick them out.
3. That said, when making notes, give EVERYTHING a date. It'll help when you come back to it later.
4. Make revision notes, and then, when you go back through them, underline your dates in a different colour. I have two coloured pens for my revision - one to underline key concepts, and the other for dates. It helps them stick out in your mind, and you'll be able to see them easily if you read through again!

A final note of encouragement - my History teacher was a lecturer. She has a PhD, she speaks three or four languages, and she's HOPELESS with dates. She cannot remember the dates in our course at all! So really, it doesn't matter all that much.

ahh thank you so much!!

Quick Reply

Latest