The Student Room Group

Can I still get student finance

I have an enquiry. I did two years which was HND and was funded. I was then offered a place at uni directly on to the third year of a course but I dropped off a month in. I've applied again but have been offered to the second year this time rather than third which I don't mind.. only thing is will I still be eligible for student finance? I've applied but not heard back yet.. but thought I'd post on the forum to get reassurance. I keep hearing different things.
Original post by SS2Goku
I have an enquiry. I did two years which was HND and was funded. I was then offered a place at uni directly on to the third year of a course but I dropped off a month in. I've applied again but have been offered to the second year this time rather than third which I don't mind.. only thing is will I still be eligible for student finance? I've applied but not heard back yet.. but thought I'd post on the forum to get reassurance. I keep hearing different things.

Hi SS2Goku,

The rule regarding previous study states that students are entitled to the ordinary duration of their course plus 1 extra year, minus any previous study.

Thanks Catherine
Reply 2
Original post by Catherine SFE
Hi SS2Goku,

The rule regarding previous study states that students are entitled to the ordinary duration of their course plus 1 extra year, minus any previous study.

Thanks Catherine

I'm confused, so does that mean I can? Because I've done 2 years on an HND course and then dropped out during the top up (third year) after few weeks in.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by SS2Goku
I'm confused, so does that mean I can? Because I've done 2 years on an HND course and then dropped out during the top up (third year) after few weeks in.

Hi SS2Goku,

If you have three years previous study your calculation would be as follows:

3 + 1 = 4 - 3 = 1 year remaining

What this means is you can get Maintenance Loan in year two only and no Tuition Fees, then in your final year you can get Tuition Fee loan and Maintenance Loan.

If you dropped out of your course due to compelling personal reasons then you may be able to submit evidence of this to us to allow an additional year of funding to be given.

Thanks.
Reply 4
Original post by Erin SFE
Hi SS2Goku,

If you have three years previous study your calculation would be as follows:

What this means is you can get Maintenance Loan in year two only and no Tuition Fees, then in your final year you can get Tuition Fee loan and Maintenance Loan.

If you dropped out of your course due to compelling personal reasons then you may be able to submit evidence of this to us to allow an additional year of funding to be given.

Thanks.

I was told on the phone I can get tuition loan in year 2? By 2 different people at student finance
Original post by SS2Goku
I was told on the phone I can get tuition loan in year 2? By 2 different people at student finance

Hi SS2Goku,

How many years did you study before? I can only go with the information you provide me with. If you need account specific information then you might need to call us on 0300 100 0607.

Thanks.
Reply 6
Original post by Erin SFE
Hi SS2Goku,

How many years did you study before? I can only go with the information you provide me with. If you need account specific information then you might need to call us on 0300 100 0607.

Thanks.

So I did a HNC/HND course which lasted me 2 years and that was funded by student finance.
I then went directly on to the third year of a course but dropped out 2/3 weeks in.

I've applied again for the same course but this I was only offered a place to go directly on to year 2 and I've applied for both maintenance loan and tuition loan.
Original post by SS2Goku
So I did a HNC/HND course which lasted me 2 years and that was funded by student finance.
I then went directly on to the third year of a course but dropped out 2/3 weeks in.

I've applied again for the same course but this I was only offered a place to go directly on to year 2 and I've applied for both maintenance loan and tuition loan.

Hi SS2Goku,

If you have completed 2 years of the course and also attended the 3rd year for 2/3 weeks this is still classed as a year of study and will be added to the previous study calculation.

Thanks Catherine
Reply 8
Hi SS2Goku,

If you have completed 2 years of the course and also attended the 3rd year for 2/3 weeks this is still classed as a year of study and will be added to the previous study calculation.

Thanks Catherine

Because I'm going on to the second year instead of third year, is there no I can get funding for the second year instead of third, as I can't afford it right now
Original post by SS2Goku
Because I'm going on to the second year instead of third year, is there no I can get funding for the second year instead of third, as I can't afford it right now

Hi SS2Goku,

I'm afraid that the full funding is placed on the final year of the course and you would get a maintenance loan only for the 2nd year unless you had a compelling personal reason why you left the course.

Thanks Catherine
Reply 10
Hi SS2Goku,

I'm afraid that the full funding is placed on the final year of the course and you would get a maintenance loan only for the 2nd year unless you had a compelling personal reason why you left the course.

Thanks Catherine

How do I go about telling student finance about reasons as to why I left my course?
Original post by SS2Goku
How do I go about telling student finance about reasons as to why I left my course?

Hi SS2Goku,

To apply for compelling personal reasons we will require evidence of this as shown below, evidence must be

•

is signed and dated;

•

confirms the reason why the student could not continue with their studies; and

•

when this took place

Photocopies of all evidence can be accepted and this evidence can include:

•

Medical evidence from a GP

•

Letter from HEP on headed paper

•

Letter from Social Services on headed paper

•

Letter from clergy or professional person on headed paper

•

Death Certificate and/or

•

A Birth Certificate

Thanks Catherine
Reply 12
Hi SS2Goku,

To apply for compelling personal reasons we will require evidence of this as shown below, evidence must be

•

is signed and dated;

•

confirms the reason why the student could not continue with their studies; and

•

when this took place

Photocopies of all evidence can be accepted and this evidence can include:

•

Medical evidence from a GP

•

Letter from HEP on headed paper

•

Letter from Social Services on headed paper

•

Letter from clergy or professional person on headed paper

•

Death Certificate and/or

•

A Birth Certificate

Thanks Catherine

I've just got off the phone to student finance. I have been told I will receive 2 more years of funding.

My HND course was 2 years. Then I started a new top up course which is 3 years long but was placed directly on the third year which I dropped out.

So 5 - 3 = 2 more years of funding

So now I've been offered a place on the same course but on to the 2nd year and have been told I will get funding for both 2nd and 3rd year as the rules in regards to a top up are different.

Can you confirm this please?
Original post by SS2Goku
I've just got off the phone to student finance. I have been told I will receive 2 more years of funding.

My HND course was 2 years. Then I started a new top up course which is 3 years long but was placed directly on the third year which I dropped out.

So 5 - 3 = 2 more years of funding

So now I've been offered a place on the same course but on to the 2nd year and have been told I will get funding for both 2nd and 3rd year as the rules in regards to a top up are different.

Can you confirm this please?

Hi SS2Goku

Yes, this is correct, if the course is a 4 year course, then the additional year minus previous study.

4 + 1 = 5 - 3 = 2

Thanks Catherine
Reply 14
Hi SS2Goku

Yes, this is correct, if the course is a 4 year course, then the additional year minus previous study.

4 + 1 = 5 - 3 = 2

Thanks Catherine

The new course I'm doing is a 3 year course though?
Original post by SS2Goku
The new course I'm doing is a 3 year course though?

Hi SS2Goku

Is the course a 3 year course plus 1 year top-up?

Thanks Catherine
Reply 16
Hi SS2Goku

Is the course a 3 year course plus 1 year top-up?

Thanks Catherine

So I have completed a 2 year HND course already at college so at this point I have had 2 years of funding.

Last year I applied for a new 3 year degree course at university but was offered a place on to the final year but dropped out few weeks so this used up another year of funding for me.

I have applied this year again for the same course and been offered a place but this time on to the 2nd year.

so because I've done a 2 year HND course and the duration of the new course is 3 years that means I am allowed 5 years of funding?
2 years used for the HND and 1 used up when I dropped out. so based on the rules of doing a top up, I am eligible for 2 more years of funding? is that correct?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 17
Can I get a reply please
Original post by SS2Goku
So I have completed a 2 year HND course already at college so at this point I have had 2 years of funding.

Last year I applied for a new 3 year degree course at university but was offered a place on to the final year but dropped out few weeks so this used up another year of funding for me.

I have applied this year again for the same course and been offered a place but this time on to the 2nd year.

so because I've done a 2 year HND course and the duration of the new course is 3 years that means I am allowed 5 years of funding?
2 years used for the HND and 1 used up when I dropped out. so based on the rules of doing a top up, I am eligible for 2 more years of funding? is that correct?

Hi SS2Goku,

The rules regarding previous study states that students are entitled to the duration of their new course plus 1 extra year, minus any previous study.
So if you will be applying for a 3 year degree course,it is calculated as follows.

3 + 1=4- 3(previous years study)=1 years full funding remaining.
Remaining years of entitlement will be awarded in the final years of the course.

Thanks

Quick Reply