The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Lemur14
Which one :tongue: The one I was trying to work on earlier?

No, not the Access Project, it's another project I'm involved in and actually I don't know the full details of just yet. :tongue:
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
No, not the Access Project, it's another project I'm involved in and actually I don't know the full details of just yet. :tongue:

:lol: I thought you were talking about a CA project :rofl: which we do need to get done...I'm not doing a very good job of getting it done though! :hide:
Reply 82
Original post by Lemur14
:lol: I thought you were talking about a CA project :rofl: which we do need to get done...I'm not doing a very good job of getting it done though! :hide:

OMG that CA project! I have completely forgotten about it, that was meant to be completed weeks ago!

Spoiler

OMG that CA project! I have completely forgotten about it, that was meant to be completed weeks ago!

Spoiler

Pretty much...I hadn't forgotten about it and I still haven't done it because of that so don't worry...hoping to finish it this week though :smile: I did a bit today (tiny bit though...)
Amazing blog. Please tag me in so I can follow you :smile:
Reply 85
Original post by y.u.mad.bro?
Amazing blog. Please tag me in so I can follow you :smile:

Thanks. You'll be added into the next blog update. :smile:
4) Cambridge Masterclass: I'm going to the masterclass for History with my best friend on Saturday 4th November 2017 and @CoffeeGeek is also attending. There's no doubt that I'm excited to meet him in person, a fellow TSRian and a CA - how cool is that?

prsom

Haven't been on TSR for ages :O so I haven't the chance to read your blog recently (except now!)

Cambridge Masterclass sounds smashing. Hope you have fun! I don't know much about it but I might have a look in the future (And I can't believe it, is this the first time people from the TSR skype/discord group will meet?! :O)
Original post by Gabzinc
prsom

Haven't been on TSR for ages :O so I haven't the chance to read your blog recently (except now!)

Cambridge Masterclass sounds smashing. Hope you have fun! I don't know much about it but I might have a look in the future.

We miss you! :hugs:
Original post by Lemur14
We miss you! :hugs:

awww this made me feel warm and fuzzy inside :3 in reality i'm just really busy (and busy procrastinating) which is why i haven't had the chance to talk to you guys :frown:
Original post by Gabzinc
awww this made me feel warm and fuzzy inside :3 in reality i'm just really busy (and busy procrastinating) which is why i haven't had the chance to talk to you guys :frown:

We're excellent procrastinators as well :smile: I'm meant to be busy...I've been procrastinating on here for about 4 hours...I'm gonna start some work at some point...I promise!
Reply 90

Depression Strikes On The Door ... - 27/10/17
Lauv - I Like Me Better *
* One of my favourite new songs out there at the moment - bringing them positive vibes when I'm feeling like complete utter ****.

You may be wondering a typical, 16-Year-Old adolescent (turning 17-Years-Old relatively soon) may been feeling depressed even when it's half term but let my tell you why. The half term holiday homework workload is absolutely ridiculous - it may sound quite cliche of me saying this - but it really doesn't help when your Sociology teacher (MBA) forgot to email you the homework that was meant to be due for the week before half term. To put things into prospective let my try to show you below (I made a to do list but I'll type it out on here):

Key: Green indicates that this has been completed.

Due Tuesday 31st October 2017
Economics (CFA): Preparatory Reading (See SMHW)
Mindmap (See SMHW)
Elasticity of Demand - Data Question (See SMHW)

Due Wednesday 1st November 2017
History (MPO): Churchill Personal Study (See SMHW)
History (LGR): Personal Study and Bloody Sunday Sheet (See SMHW)

Due Thursday 2nd November 2017
Sociology (MBA): Topic 1 and 2 - Complete workbook
Find a current affair related to the changing position of children and theories of the family
Complete essays on patriarchal society and childhood

Due Monday 6th November 2017
Sociology (WWH): Complete essay on social class differences in education
Complete ethnic differences in education workbook

Also on top of that, I have completed my Economics revision notes so that will ease things a bit for me. However, I haven't started making revision notes for Sociology and that's really bothering me right now but I anticipate to get that sorted soon.

On the other sides of things, I have free access on the Edexcel A Economics courses on UpLearn on behalf of The Access Project and I'm also being tutored in History which is exciting. I'm going to ask her if it's possible if I could be tutored in Sociology because boy, I struggle with grasping the exam techniques and what you're required to know.

Self Motivation:

This is Christ College, Cambridge University and I hope to apply there probably for History and Politics next year. Just look at how beautiful this college is! <3

The Amazing People Who Supports Me All The Way:
@Lemur14 @CoffeeGeek @Sonechka @_gcx @Michiyo @Quizlet @Gingerbread101 @Paracosm @chelseadagg3r @Airmed @Quamquam123 @CheeseIsVeg @wolfmoon88 @BlueHighlighter @AryanGh @pinkypaz123 @Gabzinc @8Greenorange @ecila21 @dcencima @DeepInTheMeadow @PixieDust_00 @laurawatt @OrangeSaber @y.u.mad.bro?

(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 91

Cambridge Masterclass - 05/11/17
Post Malone - rockstar ft. 21 Savage

Before I talk about my experience with the Cambridge Masterclass, I must say that returning to school after half term wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but the workload is slowly creeping its way up again and during the course of the work, I had to find the time to complete the outstanding essays for MBA (my Sociology teacher).

Subject Update:
Economics (CFA): This week we've finished looking at 1.2.3 Price, Income and Cross Elasticities of Demand.

History (MPO): This week we've been looking at the problems that Winston Churchill faced in 1940.

History (LGR): This week we've been consolidating our knowledge on Witte and Stolypin and the differences between their economic achievements for Russia.

Sociology (WWH & MBA): WWH's lesson was missed because we had an inset day on Monday. In MBA's lesson we've finished off looking at Childhood in our Family and Household unit and we had a weird silent class debate where we had to debate on paper answering various questions.

Other News:
1) The Access Project: I'll start my tutorials in History from Tuesday 6th November 2017 after school which is very exciting because it will be interesting to learn History from a different perspective and to go over content that I don't understand/exam techniques.

2) Cambridge Shadowing Scheme and Oxford Outreach Program: I'm hoping to apply for both of these opportunities but it's highly unlikely that I'll be accepted for both and this would be for History.

The day started off with the 09:14 train from London King's Cross to Cambridge and by the time we've arrived at Cambridge, it was already pouring with rain. Exiting the station was awkward as somehow I was having problems getting out of the ticket barrier - someone tell me if I inserted the ticket the wrong way round. Then we crossed the road to find the bus stop and I found the bus after about 30 seconds but we had to run towards the bus because it looked like it was about to go. However, there was a large cause for the bus because of other Year 12s who were boarding the bus to get to various subject masterclasses at Cambridge. This is where I happen to be standing behind ...

Spoiler

... and we said "Hi" to each other rather awkwardly. Yet, once he asked my friend if we were going to the same masterclass, things get slightly less awkward I suppose and we walked to Sidgwick Site together alongside with other people.

Getting in to the Faculty of Law at Cambridge was a bit annoying as everyone was annoyingly bunched around the entrance trying to find information about the subject masterclasses and get registered in. After about 3 minutes of that, we went downstairs to form a line to collect our goodies: a Cambridge University carrier bag, a Cambridge University pen and a post-it note. Then we set next to each other in the front out the lecture hall before majority of the seats were filled up - luckily we weren't even late as those who entered after us, they had to squeeze in somewhere else :P .

The first lecture was on The Ottoman Empire which I've never studied before but it was an interesting lecture nonetheless. The only downside I've had with this was that I didn't find the lecturer as interactive and engaging as the other lecturer for the Mountains and Mountaineering lecture. His lecture was far more interactive and engaging - he also asked us questions to make sure we weren't totally thrown off-board with what he was lecturing about. The day ended with information about how to "Apply for Cambridge" and he went through what History was like at Cambridge and the application process. What I found interesting is that the majority of people performed well in interviews and two Year II students for History both said they've enjoyed the interview despite being naturally nervous about it which gave many people including myself reassurance over this "daunting" application process.

Before I went to get the bus back to Cambridge Station, I had a horrible mishap of appearing to lose my return ticket and I've literally spent 10 minutes looking frantically for it and thanks to Mr Guess Who for kindly waiting for me. It wasn't until I've got home that I've realised the ticket was stuck on my out ticket - doh! At least I had the out ticket which meant I can get through the barrier otherwise I would've been totally screwed and probably have another frantic look for it.

Notification Squad

Cambridge Masterclass - 05/11/17
Post Malone - rockstar ft. 21 Savage

Before I talk about my experience with the Cambridge Masterclass, I must say that returning to school after half term wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but the workload is slowly creeping its way up again and during the course of the work, I had to find the time to complete the outstanding essays for MBA (my Sociology teacher).

Subject Update:
Economics (CFA): This week we've finished looking at 1.2.3 Price, Income and Cross Elasticities of Demand.

History (MPO): This week we've been looking at the problems that Winston Churchill faced in 1940.

History (LGR): This week we've been consolidating our knowledge on Witte and Stolypin and the differences between their economic achievements for Russia.

Sociology (WWH & MBA): WWH's lesson was missed because we had an inset day on Monday. In MBA's lesson we've finished off looking at Childhood in our Family and Household unit and we had a weird silent class debate where we had to debate on paper answering various questions.

Other News:
1) The Access Project: I'll start my tutorials in History from Tuesday 6th November 2017 after school which is very exciting because it will be interesting to learn History from a different perspective and to go over content that I don't understand/exam techniques.

2) Cambridge Shadowing Scheme and Oxford Outreach Program: I'm hoping to apply for both of these opportunities but it's highly unlikely that I'll be accepted for both and this would be for History.

The day started off with the 09:14 train from London King's Cross to Cambridge and by the time we've arrived at Cambridge, it was already pouring with rain. Exiting the station was awkward as somehow I was having problems getting out of the ticket barrier - someone tell me if I inserted the ticket the wrong way round. Then we crossed the road to find the bus stop and I found the bus after about 30 seconds but we had to run towards the bus because it looked like it was about to go. However, there was a large cause for the bus because of other Year 12s who were boarding the bus to get to various subject masterclasses at Cambridge. This is where I happen to be standing behind ...

Spoiler

... and we said "Hi" to each other rather awkwardly. Yet, once he asked my friend if we were going to the same masterclass, things get slightly less awkward I suppose and we walked to Sidgwick Site together alongside with other people.

Getting in to the Faculty of Law at Cambridge was a bit annoying as everyone was annoyingly bunched around the entrance trying to find information about the subject masterclasses and get registered in. After about 3 minutes of that, we went downstairs to form a line to collect our goodies: a Cambridge University carrier bag, a Cambridge University pen and a post-it note. Then we set next to each other in the front out the lecture hall before majority of the seats were filled up - luckily we weren't even late as those who entered after us, they had to squeeze in somewhere else :P .

The first lecture was on The Ottoman Empire which I've never studied before but it was an interesting lecture nonetheless. The only downside I've had with this was that I didn't find the lecturer as interactive and engaging as the other lecturer for the Mountains and Mountaineering lecture. His lecture was far more interactive and engaging - he also asked us questions to make sure we weren't totally thrown off-board with what he was lecturing about. The day ended with information about how to "Apply for Cambridge" and he went through what History was like at Cambridge and the application process. What I found interesting is that the majority of people performed well in interviews and two Year II students for History both said they've enjoyed the interview despite being naturally nervous about it which gave many people including myself reassurance over this "daunting" application process.

Before I went to get the bus back to Cambridge Station, I had a horrible mishap of appearing to lose my return ticket and I've literally spent 10 minutes looking frantically for it and thanks to Mr Guess Who for kindly waiting for me. It wasn't until I've got home that I've realised the ticket was stuck on my out ticket - doh! At least I had the out ticket which meant I can get through the barrier otherwise I would've been totally screwed and probably have another frantic look for it.

Notification Squad

who is the random person on the stairs lol
Reply 93
Original post by dcencima
who is the random person on the stairs lol

No idea, I just took a picture of the faculty of law building :P .
Reply 94

Meeting my History tutor - 10/11/17
JeKK - Delightful Life

Song of the Week
This week, I've chosen JeKK's Delightful Life as my song of the week because it relates to how I'm finding at present - trying to see the brighter sides of life when majority of the time I'm literally swamped with work. Also, this just happens to be the song that @Paracosm used for the TSR Liberals election manifesto video when he was leader of the party - fun fact!!!

Subject Update
Economics (CFA): This week has been quite weird in terms of how the lesson is structured. We've finished going through 1.2.3 Price, Income, And Cross Elasticity of Demand and recapped on 1.2.6 Price Determination. We're now looking at 1.2.8 Consumer and Producer Surplus.

History (MPO): This week we've been looking at speeches that Winston Churchill gave in 1940 when he was elected as a "war time leader" and the whole class got split into groups to go over one of the speeches he gave. I worked in a group of 3 to give a presentation of "The Few" and we just had a bunch of questions on the board and gave them a crash course of the speeches with all the key elements. It wasn't just a typical presentation that is boring and literally spoon-feeding someone with information. I took the lead of engaging my class by asking them to contribute their ideas to some of the questions and have a deep think before we went through it. Out of all the presentations that we did, without being biased, I think mine was the best because it wasn't boring - it was engaging and we didn't waste time waffling unnecessary bits of information.

History (LGR): This week we've been consolidating our knowledge on the Dumas and looking deeper into why the Tsar dissolved the Duma and what the politicians had achieve at the time.

Sociology (WWH & MBA): WWH's lesson was spent on looking at Ethnic Differences in Education, most specifically, Cultural and Material Deprivation. In MBA's lesson we went through our essay on childhood and given how badly the class performed (I got 7/10 so I did alright), she tried to explain to use once again how to write a proper Sociology essay. However, what she hasn't made very clear is how many sociological studies we should include, although she made it clear that we should use PEEEL.

Other News
1) Academic Progress Report: It seems quite bizarre that my school has sent home an "Academic Progess Report" when I haven't even done my first interim exams and they're in 2 weeks time. Overall, I'm performing in line with the minimum grade - the way they're assessing me really sounds stupid to put things into perspective.

Economics: Below the minimum expected grade of Grade B. Apparently ...
- Specific Action: Address gaps in Opportunity Cost, Division of Labour and Production Possibility Frontiers. Also work on Data Response Questions.

History: At the minimum expected grade of Grade B.
- Specific Action: It was basically a whole heap of nonsense - I suspect they just put something completely random because my teachers were forced to but I know very well that I'm making sufficient progress in History.

Sociology: At the minimum expected grade of Grade B.
- Specific Action: Use "chain of reasoning" to fully expand on explanations when being asked to "Outline and Explain". Some fair constructive criticism here but I need to go through my textbook and self-teach myself what is required from a 10, 20 and 40 marker question - the latter I haven't done yet.

2) Secret Project: I can't go into great length of detail but we were called to a meeting after school to discuss a few things about what we thought about social inequality especially with regards to Oxbridge and we also talked about our views on different cultures such as the arts, theatres etc. My Head of Year also confirmed that we will be visiting the college she went to, Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, in January 2018 and I believe I'm going to Cambridge with The Access Project anyways next month?

3) Civil Service Opportunity: This is an opportunity offered by IntoUniversity and although I'm not part of IntoUniversity at my school, other people are at my school. Apparently, this opportunity is opened to all so I'm not quite sure how this all works out but I know I'll enjoy it. It's basically getting an insight about what civil service is like. I also have to write a paragraph explaining what 3 policies I would implement if I was Prime Minister today.

History Tutorial
This Tuesday, I've started my first History tutorial with my tutor from The Access Project. Getting to his office was one hell of an onerous journey and thank goodness I wouldn't have to go through that again because we have arranged to meet at my local library which is convenient for the both of us. We spent the first tutorial discussing what modules I do for History and discussing about what I'm learning and going through my recent classwork. Then, we went through one of my weaker History essays - the one I did what I consider "mediocre" in and he really made me understand how to properly plan and write an essay which is really useful. He's also a really chilled and relaxed tutor according to The Access Project program officer at my school - I think she's right and it's been enjoyable working with him so far.

Notification Squad

(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 95
TSR Liberals :awesome:
Reply 96
Original post by Airmed
TSR Liberals :awesome:

Yeah ... Socially Liberal. Economically Sensible.

Meeting my History tutor - 10/11/17
JeKK - Delightful Life

Song of the Week
This week, I've chosen JeKK's Delightful Life as my song of the week because it relates to how I'm finding at present - trying to see the brighter sides of life when majority of the time I'm literally swamped with work. Also, this just happens to be the song that @Paracosm used for the TSR Liberals election manifesto video when he was leader of the party - fun fact!!!

Subject Update
Economics (CFA): This week has been quite weird in terms of how the lesson is structured. We've finished going through 1.2.3 Price, Income, And Cross Elasticity of Demand and recapped on 1.2.6 Price Determination. We're now looking at 1.2.8 Consumer and Producer Surplus.
History (MPO): This week we've been looking at speeches that Winston Churchill gave in 1940 when he was elected as a "war time leader" and the whole class got split into groups to go over one of the speeches he gave. I worked in a group of 3 to give a presentation of "The Few" and we just had a bunch of questions on the board and gave them a crash course of the speeches with all the key elements. It wasn't just a typical presentation that is boring and literally spoon-feeding someone with information. I took the lead of engaging my class by asking them to contribute their ideas to some of the questions and have a deep think before we went through it. Out of all the presentations that we did, without being biased, I think mine was the best because it wasn't boring - it was engaging and we didn't waste time waffling unnecessary bits of information.

History (LGR): This week we've been consolidating our knowledge on the Dumas and looking deeper into why the Tsar dissolved the Duma and what the politicians had achieve at the time.

Sociology (WWH & MBA): WWH's lesson was spent on looking at Ethnic Differences in Education, most specifically, Cultural and Material Deprivation. In MBA's lesson we went through our essay on childhood and given how badly the class performed (I got 7/10 so I did alright), she tried to explain to use once again how to write a proper Sociology essay. However, what she hasn't made very clear is how many sociological studies we should include, although she made it clear that we should use PEEEL.

Other News
1) Academic Progress Report: It seems quite bizarre that my school has sent home an "Academic Progess Report" when I haven't even done my first interim exams and they're in 2 weeks time. Overall, I'm performing in line with the minimum grade - the way they're assessing me really sounds stupid to put things into perspective.

Economics: Below the minimum expected grade of Grade B. Apparently ...
- Specific Action: Address gaps in Opportunity Cost, Division of Labour and Production Possibility Frontiers. Also work on Data Response Questions.

History: At the minimum expected grade of Grade B.
- Specific Action: It was basically a whole heap of nonsense - I suspect they just put something completely random because my teachers were forced to but I know very well that I'm making sufficient progress in History.

Sociology: At the minimum expected grade of Grade B.
- Specific Action: Use "chain of reasoning" to fully expand on explanations when being asked to "Outline and Explain". Some fair constructive criticism here but I need to go through my textbook and self-teach myself what is required from a 10, 20 and 40 marker question - the latter I haven't done yet.

2) Secret Project: I can't go into great length of detail but we were called to a meeting after school to discuss a few things about what we thought about social inequality especially with regards to Oxbridge and we also talked about our views on different cultures such as the arts, theatres etc. My Head of Year also confirmed that we will be visiting the college she went to, Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, in January 2018 and I believe I'm going to Cambridge with The Access Project anyways next month?

3) Civil Service Opportunity: This is an opportunity offered by IntoUniversity and although I'm not part of IntoUniversity at my school, other people are at my school. Apparently, this opportunity is opened to all so I'm not quite sure how this all works out but I know I'll enjoy it. It's basically getting an insight about what civil service is like. I also have to write a paragraph explaining what 3 policies I would implement if I was Prime Minister today.

History Tutorial
This Tuesday, I've started my first History tutorial with my tutor from The Access Project. Getting to his office was one hell of an onerous journey and thank goodness I wouldn't have to go through that again because we have arranged to meet at my local library which is convenient for the both of us. We spent the first tutorial discussing what modules I do for History and discussing about what I'm learning and going through my recent classwork. Then, we went through one of my weaker History essays - the one I did what I consider "mediocre" in and he really made me understand how to properly plan and write an essay which is really useful. He's also a really chilled and relaxed tutor according to The Access Project program officer at my school - I think she's right and it's been enjoyable working with him so far.

Notification Squad

It won't let me give you a thumbs up because I've done it too many times apparently 😂 but it's really cool to hear what you've been up to. I'm going to a Cambridge Masterclass on MML tomorrow! Hopefully it'll be good. Do you feel like yours was worth it?
Reply 98
Original post by DeepInTheMeadow
It won't let me give you a thumbs up because I've done it too many times apparently 😂 but it's really cool to hear what you've been up to. I'm going to a Cambridge Masterclass on MML tomorrow! Hopefully it'll be good. Do you feel like yours was worth it?

It's definitely worth paying £20 for the whole experience IMO. Although the lecturers have different styles of lecturing I think they both delivered a good presentation for the different topics in History. I'm also revisiting Cambridge next month I believe but if not, definitely in January!
Reply 99

Struggling with Economics - 17/11/17
The Chainsmokers - Closer ft. Halsey

Song of the Week
I have chosen The Chainsmoker's Closer as my song of the week because I absolutely love the song. Also it just happens to remind me that my interim exams are getting "closer" and "closer" as each day passes by. :o::o:o

Subject Update
Economics (CFA): This week we're still looking at 1.2.8 Producer and Consumer Surplus and we've spent time going over the concept and applying to real life scenarios in the form of exam style questions. I'm currently struggling to understand some of the concepts and how to apply them to real life scenarios in the form of exam style questions.

History (MPO): This week we've made small progress as we look at Churchill's relationships with his Generals during World War Two and we planned for a debate that didn't happen on Friday's lesson (today) because my teacher was unwell.

History (LGR): This week my teacher was absent because she had to attend a course meaning that we spent this week's lesson revising over the topics we've covered so far.

Sociology (WWH & MBA): In WWH's we've carried on from last lesson by looking at Ethnic Differences in Education, most specifically, Cultural and Material Deprivation. In MBA's lesson we've looked at the Theories of the Family and talked briefly about how we should go about answering the 10 and 20 marker questions in our interim exams next week.

Other News
1) The Access Project: History Tutorial - This week, we've arranged to meet up at my library but due to the library being ridiculously busy and a lack of study space available, we've resorted to the coffee shop just down the road (Costa). This wasn't an ideal meeting place but it's better than nothing! In this tutorial, my tutor introduced me to the terms: cordiality, necessary cause, sufficient cause, contributory cause and primary cause. We've also continued looking at exam techniques and he gave me some tips with planning for an exam essay. Then I had to plan an essay under timed conditions (15 mins) which was tough.

2) Civil Service Opportunity - I have handed in the form to my Head of Year (CWA) alongside a paragraph explaining what 3 policies would I focus on if I was elected Prime Minister tomorrow which I found quite interesting to answer. For the curious few, one of my polices obviously focused on Brexit.

3) Model UN - CWA invited her former teacher in to teach us how to debate - yes seriously - how to debate! This wasn't no ordinary person lecturing to us about how to debate but he explained to us how debating works and how it works in real life, especially in the House of Commons. Next week on the 25th and 26th November 2017, I will be participating in the London MUN conference at King's College London at their campus right in the heart of the city - I'll be joined by other schools such of which are rather prestigious schools across London.

Notification Squad

(edited 6 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending