Money4MyHoney
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
About Me
I'm 16 and have just finished my GCSEs as one of the first pupils to sit the reformed 9-1 exams in maths and English. Starting year 12 soon so I just wanted to set some personal goals and use this as a sort of tracker for my progress throughout my time in Sixth Form and help keep me focused. I worked very diligently to achieve my results at GCSE and am hoping to maintain the same momentum at A level.

I am taking Maths, Economics, Chemistry and Biology for A levels, all of which I will complete fully (no AS exams).

I hope you all will support my journey and follow updates, and any advice or constructive commentary is very welcome

Future Goals and Ambitions
I want to study medicine at Oxford University and am aiming for all A stars at A-level essentially. I've always had dreams of changing the world through science and innovation and improving the lives and health of many people, starting with a good academic record.

Chemistry is my favourite subject and new developments in the field never fail to amaze me. I am very interested in competing internationally for the Chemistry Olympiad ICHO. It would be a great honor to be one of the four chemists representing Great Britain so I will put everything I have into competing for a place this year and the next. National maths competitions BMO and whatnot are of interest although my maths probably isn't on that level tbh.

GCSE Results

Spoiler:
Show

1. A* - Edexcel iGCSE Mandarin (completed 2013, first language)
2. A* - OCR French
3. A* - OCR Latin
4. A* - OCR History
5. A* - AQA Physics
6. A* - AQA Chemistry
7. A* - AQA Biology
8. A* - AQA D&T Graphic Products
9. A* - AQA Religious Studies
10. 9 -Edexcel Maths
11. 8 -AQA English Literature
12. 9 -AQA English Language

12 A* Including 9 in maths and Eng lang

I am so pleased with these results because they reflect the trememdous amount of effort I put in throughout the past two years.

AS Results

Spoiler:
Show

1. A - (highest grade at AS) Edexcel AS Mandarin

Things I'm Looking to Improve Academically
My essay writing has always been weak and unstructured. The 8 grade I achieved in Eng Lit GCSE was mostly down to memorisation. Luckily I'm taking mostly science subjects, but I am worried about the essay writing aspect of economics, a subject I haven't studied at GCSE but am taking for A level. Also, as a potential medic I am required to sit the BMAT exam which has an essay writing component as section C, meaning I definitely need to work on this skill. I will improve it through practice, wider reading and attending clubs at school.

My problem solving in maths is also something I want to improve through further practice, and familiarisation with common question types in order to think help me think in the correct direction and logically.

Timing is often an issue in exams for me, so I will work on timed practice to help with that.

Problems I'm Likely to Face
Video game addiction is something I've been struggling with since I was 13. Many people don't understand it, but when you have loads of online game friends from different parts of the world in different timezones, they repeatedly re-invite during the night. I can play games up to 4am without noticing and I've gamed for 20 hours straight without food, water or sleep once before which I'm pretty sure almost killed me. I got Cs and Ds in mocks as a result of it and it also ruined my social life before.

I really fought with myself to control it before GCSEs. It didn't seem to get in the way of my results that much once I got into the swing of studying (though I do believe I could've achieved a 9 in Eng Lit if I played less of them) but I'm afraid I might have a 'relapse' of sorts, which I know would completely trash my results. So I'm giving myself a sort of 'rehab' where I don't play any games for a month, then gradually see if I can set limits.

Thanks for taking the time to read about my journey and good luck for any A level students starting this year too!
Snooorkel
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Woah talk about ambition... are you aiming for world domination seriously
Money4MyHoney
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Snooorkel)
Woah talk about ambition... are you aiming for world domination seriously
lmao
something I can also improve with practice ig
Starlight15
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Money4MyHoney)
Video game addiction
TRUE! lol I'm going to year 13 next year and my advice would be to work during free periods, halfway through year 12 you'll realise how useful they are honestly without them I would have a lot of unfinished homework and I would have got horrible grades
Eulogy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Money4MyHoney)
I can play games up to 4am without noticing and I've gamed for 20 hours straight without food, water or sleep once before which I'm pretty sure almost killed me. I got Cs and Ds in mocks as a result of it and it also ruined my social life before.
Dude I thought I was bad playing tf2 until 2am. Anyway good luck with A Levels and the future. I ****ing hate essays as well, that's why I took maths further maths physics chemistry lmao. I don't want to be a medic though, too much stress for me. Here's my advice about essays. It doesn't matter what you actually write, it's how you write. I wrote the biggest amount of ******** in English Lit and got a 9. I had forgotten the quotes I wanted to write about, so I just ********ted my way through it, but made it seem like I was writing proper high level ****, just with your tone, word choice, structure etc. For examined essays, it's all about just impressing your examiner, that's it. You need to get in the mindset of writing whatever will make that examiner give you a top grade, whatever that may be. Even if it means you write something completely different. You need to see examined essays as a means to an end - to the grade you want at the end. Sometimes in life it's worth figuring out how to do stuff the easy way, rather than working your balls off for the same result.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (13)
14.29%
I need help researching courses (7)
7.69%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
6.59%
I need help with my personal statement (36)
39.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
25.27%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.2%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.4%

Watched Threads