lolatmylifeee
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I did my EDEXCEL (IALs) AS level exams in May/June of 2016, took a gap year, and now I want to finish my A levels by re-enrolling into school and writing my A2 exams in May/June 2018. Am I allowed to do this? Will my AS level marks be carried forward to my A2 or is it impossible for me to complete my A levels now because of the gap year I have taken?

note that this gap year wasnt my choice but i was forced into it and now im forced to go back to complete my a levels i will take chem math and physics and ive forgotten every single thing ive learnt in AS level how hard is it going to be in a2 with only 6 months in hand
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by lolatmylifeee)
I did my EDEXCEL (IALs) AS level exams in May/June of 2016, took a gap year, and now I want to finish my A levels by re-enrolling into school and writing my A2 exams in May/June 2018. Am I allowed to do this? Will my AS level marks be carried forward to my A2 or is it impossible for me to complete my A levels now because of the gap year I have taken?

note that this gap year wasnt my choice but i was forced into it and now im forced to go back to complete my a levels i will take chem math and physics and ive forgotten every single thing ive learnt in AS level how hard is it going to be in a2 with only 6 months in hand
Its very likely your A level subjects are now a linear format so AS will not count towards A2. In the new linear exams you are tested in all 2 years worth of study. It sounds like the odds are against you.

You are allowed to ask your old school to take you back, they may or they may not.
If not you will need to find another school or college or teach yourself.
lolatmylifeee
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Its very likely your A level subjects are now a linear format so AS will not count towards A2. In the new linear exams you are tested in all 2 years worth of study. It sounds like the odds are against you.

You are allowed to ask your old school to take you back, they may or they may not.
If not you will need to find another school or college or teach yourself.
Sorry if I ask a stupid question but my school isn't willing to co-operate and help me and we were never given advice on what kind of A levels we are writing (modular or linear). We were just told to get grades and there's nothing else to know.

Thank you so much for your response! I contacted edexcel but I haven't received a reply yet. I checked the website about linear A levels and this is what it says (idk if it applied to International AL's too)

A levels are now fully linear, with students sitting their exams at the end of the two-year course. As from January 2014, there is no longer a January assessment window. This change applies to current/legacy A levels as well as the new ones with first teaching from September 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018. New AS levels are stand-alone qualifications and no longer contribute to an A level grade. Their purpose is to encourage curriculum breadth and the AS level is designed to be co-taught with the first year of the A level.

Another thing I wanted to ask is that I dont understand what you mean by how the odds are against me because shouldn't the fact that my AS not being counted as part of my A2 be beneficial to me as much of the AS content wouldn't be needed idk im completely lost what about the new linear format and being tested in 2 years worth of study will be non-beneficial to be bc even generally im tested on 2 years of study (AS and A2)

Also the website says IAL's will be changing from the teaching in Sept 2018 (they will change to modular again) and it says that Sept 2017 is the last cohort of students taking a 2-year IAL course. So is this beneficial to me like am I eligible to continue my study from sept 2018 through may/june 2018?

http://www.ocr.org.uk/administration/stage-2-entries/final-entry-rules/legacy-gce-entry-rules/

On this website there's a table that says the first teaching for new specification will be in Sept 2017 and the final assesment opportunity for legacy people will be in June 2018. Does this mean that I will have to learn the new A level specification for A2 and combine mu legacy AS level with my new A2 level in June 2018 to be certified?

Once again, thank you for taking the time to read and respond to this long post. You're the only one that seems helpful even more than edexcel lol
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
Sorry if I ask a stupid question but my school isn't willing to co-operate and help me and we were never given advice on what kind of A levels we are writing (modular or linear). We were just told to get grades and there's nothing else to know.

Thank you so much for your response! I contacted edexcel but I haven't received a reply yet. I checked the website about linear A levels and this is what it says (idk if it applied to International AL's too)

A levels are now fully linear, with students sitting their exams at the end of the two-year course. As from January 2014, there is no longer a January assessment window. This change applies to current/legacy A levels as well as the new ones with first teaching from September 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018. New AS levels are stand-alone qualifications and no longer contribute to an A level grade. Their purpose is to encourage curriculum breadth and the AS level is designed to be co-taught with the first year of the A level.

Another thing I wanted to ask is that I dont understand what you mean by how the odds are against me because shouldn't the fact that my AS not being counted as part of my A2 be beneficial to me as much of the AS content wouldn't be needed idk im completely lost what about the new linear format and being tested in 2 years worth of study will be non-beneficial to be bc even generally im tested on 2 years of study (AS and A2)

Also the website says IAL's will be changing from the teaching in Sept 2018 (they will change to modular again) and it says that Sept 2017 is the last cohort of students taking a 2-year IAL course. So is this beneficial to me like am I eligible to continue my study from sept 2018 through may/june 2018?

http://www.ocr.org.uk/administration/stage-2-entries/final-entry-rules/legacy-gce-entry-rules/

On this website there's a table that says the first teaching for new specification will be in Sept 2017 and the final assesment opportunity for legacy people will be in June 2018. Does this mean that I will have to learn the new A level specification for A2 and combine mu legacy AS level with my new A2 level in June 2018 to be certified?

Once again, thank you for taking the time to read and respond to this long post. You're the only one that seems helpful even more than edexcel lol
1. Sorry it must have been late. International A levels are different. UK domestic A levels all changed to being linear, but International A levels may well have remained modular.
2. Wait to see what edexcel says, but if modular then its a whole lot easier for you if they are still modular because you can choose what to resit.
3. I would probably phone them.
lolatmylifeee
Rep:
?
1. Sorry it must have been late. International A levels are different. UK domestic A levels all changed to being linear, but International A levels may well have remained modular.
2. Wait to see what edexcel says, but if modular then its a whole lot easier for you if they are still modular because you can choose what to resit.
3. I would probably phone them.

Note that i am not doing a resit as u said in the last reply. I completed AS in 2016 took a gap year in 2017 and now will complete A2 in 2018.

I am now sure that my IALs have always been and will always be in a modular format but will a2 have a lot of stuff from as like will i have to know a lot of stuff from AS level because its been 14 months and im sure i dont remember a THING from AS level. I am going to be taking Physics, Chem, and Math in A2 if I am eligible to do it (will find out this sunday from my school) and I have 6 months before i start writing mocks for a2 so i wanted to know will it be enough time for 3 a levels in 6 months bc idk if a2 has a lot of AS stuff in it.thank you
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
Note that i am not doing a resit as u said in the last reply. I completed AS in 2016 took a gap year in 2017 and now will complete A2 in 2018.

I am now sure that my IALs have always been and will always be in a modular format but will a2 have a lot of stuff from as like will i have to know a lot of stuff from AS level because its been 14 months and im sure i dont remember a THING from AS level. I am going to be taking Physics, Chem, and Math in A2 if I am eligible to do it (will find out this sunday from my school) and I have 6 months before i start writing mocks for a2 so i wanted to know will it be enough time for 3 a levels in 6 months bc idk if a2 has a lot of AS stuff in it.thank you
If its modular because of IAL, then Id think you would just be tested on the modules work i.e A2. Please confirm with Edexcel.

You are still attempting to do three subjects in six months whereas other have ten -twelve months to do the same. On that basis it depends how clever you are and how hard you work.
lolatmylifeee
Rep:
?
If its modular because of IAL, then Id think you would just be tested on the modules work i.e A2. Please confirm with Edexcel.

You are still attempting to do three subjects in six months whereas other have ten -twelve months to do the same. On that basis it depends how clever you are and how hard you work.
hello, thanks for the reply i just realized that in 2016 i did gce a level mathematics (the ones they do in the UK; for some reason my school had us do the normal uk a levels for math instead of the international level, i did my science subjects in the IAL version but math was GCE A levels)

will this be a problem for me with the whole modular/linear shiz
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
hello, thanks for the reply i just realized that in 2016 i did gce a level mathematics (the ones they do in the UK; for some reason my school had us do the normal uk a levels for math instead of the international level, i did my science subjects in the IAL version but math was GCE A levels)

will this be a problem for me with the whole modular/linear shiz
My understanding is that surprisingly it will not. last first sit in Sept 2018 and last resit in 2019. Contact the exam board to confirm
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (624)
33.77%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (777)
42.05%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.7%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (83)
4.49%

Watched Threads