Lelanor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Started writing this post and then the page refreshed while I was checking something on UCAS Track usually TSR saves posts when I don't want it to, but the one time it would have been useful, it didn't save it

The Final Update!
Re-mark result
I received the result of my Computer Science re-mark this morning! I was expecting it today because it's the first day the exams officer has been working since Friday so if it had been sent over the weekend it would have been waiting in her inbox until today. I refreshed my emails as soon as I woke up (at about 10:30 am lol) and saw it there, and nervously waited as the attachment took a while to download. It finally loaded and... I didn't understand it... and then I did understand it... and my grade has gone up to an A*!!!

I had trouble understanding because instead of writing A*, they just put the *, but they also used the same symbol in another place to highlight which papers had been re-marked out of a list of all the units. It wasn't until I looked at the actual numbers and saw that Paper 1 had gone form 82 to 86 out of 100 that I realised my grade had changed. Tbf I had just woken up, so it probably wasn't as confusing as I found it to be. Overall, my mark went from 312 to 318 (the Paper 1 marks are scaled by 1.5), where the grade boundary for an A* was 314.

Review of the Year
This review is mainly for myself to look back on, so it has quite a lot of details!

When I started this blog I had every intention of updating it regularly, but a look back through will tell you that I don't stick to things like this very well
All I can say is that I'm glad my A Levels went better than this blog!

At the start I'd just got an A* in Maths in Year 12, and set myself a goal of getting A*A*A in Year 13. I thought this was probably unrealistic at first, thought it might be possible when my predicted grades were the same as my personal targets, and then went back to thinking it was unrealistic. When I set my goals, I knew I was going to apply for Computer Science with Maths and Cambridge, and I knew that the offer for this usually included 1, 1 in STEP. At this point I was intending to start preparing for STEP early on in the year, so added that to my targets.

In October I finished my UCAS application, submitting it around 3rd October and giving my Head of Sixth Form a copy and the receipt of payment on 4th October (my school wanted early applications to be finished by 6th, and I was going on a trip on ~4th October-8th October so I was cutting it fine).

Even though I'd been considering dropping Spanish for a few months, I felt like the fact I was going on a trip to Spain with my school, and that it was now on my submitted UCAS applicaiton, meant that I'd decided not to drop it, so I carried on doing all my subjects. I'm still not sure if this was a good idea or not. When I was struggling to finish my Computer Science coursework and prepare for my Spanish speaking exam at the same time in April, I wished I'd dropped Spanish. On results day I regretted that I'd put enough effort into Spanish to get an A beca~use I'd have been better off if I'd put that effort into one of my other subjects. Now my re-marks have pushed my grades up, I am glad that I did Spanish, but I still wish I'd balanced out my subjects better, because both of the A*s I got are very low, and if I'd spent more time on Further Maths and/or Computer Science, I'd probably have got higher A*s, and wouldn't have had to go through all the disappointment and uncertainty that followed results day.

Anyway, back to the Autumn term. To be honest, I'm not sure I remember the Autumn term very well, but I do remember checking UCAS track and my emails several times a day, waiting to see if I'd get offers from any unis. I received an offer from Leeds quite quickly, and then one from Warwick soon after. In November I got an offer Bristol and invited to an interview at Cambridge.In December I had my Cambridge interview, which was scary and I wasn't sure how I did. I had two interviews, one felt like it went well, the other felt like the first half way okay but the second half was awful. The CSAT felt like it went terribly. In January, I added UCL to my UCAS application, and then on 11th January, after refreshing my emails every two minutes for the whole morning, I received an offer from Cambridge! I was prepared to *not* get an offer, and none of my friends got offers, so it took a while for it to not feel strange rather than happy. In March(ish) I received an offer from UCL, and soon after I put Cambridge as my firm and Warwick as my insurance.

For Cambridge I had two possible offers: A* in Further Maths, A in Computer Science, and 1, 1 in STEP 2+3, or A*A in FM and CS, B in Spanish. I knew it was unlikely that I'd get 1, 1 in STEP, so decided it would be better to spend my time making sure I got a B in Spanish, because I wasn't completely sure I'd get it.

In March we also had mock exams. I can't remember exactly what I got in maths but I think it was a high B? In Computer Science I got an A*, and in Spanish I got an A. At this point I'd also realised I didn't have much time for my Computer Science NEA so lots of my Easter holidays doing that. Trying to finish my NEA was pretty stressful, and I spent loads of time at a public library, during the holidays and after school several days a week. I also had to prepare for my Spanish speaking exam at the same time.

Soon after this, exams began properly. I procrastinated a lot. I revised a lot when I wasn't procrastinating. I did lots of exams in one day some of the time. Some exams went well, some exams didn't. My last day of exams ended with two exams in one session, just to draw it out a bit. My last exam was also the last exam for the invigilators, so they were as happy as us when it ended.

Since exams, I've been to book return day and prom, been on holiday with my girlfriend to stay with my grandma in a seaside town, and been out with my friends a few times, often for birthdays, and also some pub quizzes. I've also spent a lot of time at home, playing the Sims.

I won't reflect on results day any more than I have in recent posts, but here's my concluding statement: Lelanor aimed for A*A*A*A 1, 1, and Lelanor got A*A*A*A 3, U, and is proud of herself!

Spoiler:
Show

(Original post by maestrachan1)
x
(Original post by EmilySarah00)
x
(Original post by Lemur14)
x
(Original post by amypops)
x
(Original post by Moonzyx)
x
(Original post by FuryBall)
x
(Original post by Black Water)
x
(Original post by StudyJosh)
x
(Original post by plklupu)
x
(Original post by dinomite)
x

Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Awesome final review :heart:
Nice one on the computing remark! And I'm so glad you're proud of yourself, so you should be :yep:
Have an awesome time at Cambridge, looking forward to reading next year's blog :gah:
S2M
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lelanor)
Started writing this post and then the page refreshed while I was checking something on UCAS Track usually TSR saves posts when I don't want it to, but the one time it would have been useful, it didn't save it

The Final Update!
Re-mark result
I received the result of my Computer Science re-mark this morning! I was expecting it today because it's the first day the exams officer has been working since Friday so if it had been sent over the weekend it would have been waiting in her inbox until today. I refreshed my emails as soon as I woke up (at about 10:30 am lol) and saw it there, and nervously waited as the attachment took a while to download. It finally loaded and... I didn't understand it... and then I did understand it... and my grade has gone up to an A*!!!

I had trouble understanding because instead of writing A*, they just put the *, but they also used the same symbol in another place to highlight which papers had been re-marked out of a list of all the units. It wasn't until I looked at the actual numbers and saw that Paper 1 had gone form 82 to 86 out of 100 that I realised my grade had changed. Tbf I had just woken up, so it probably wasn't as confusing as I found it to be. Overall, my mark went from 312 to 318 (the Paper 1 marks are scaled by 1.5), where the grade boundary for an A* was 314.

Review of the Year
This review is mainly for myself to look back on, so it has quite a lot of details!

When I started this blog I had every intention of updating it regularly, but a look back through will tell you that I don't stick to things like this very well
All I can say is that I'm glad my A Levels went better than this blog!

At the start I'd just got an A* in Maths in Year 12, and set myself a goal of getting A*A*A in Year 13. I thought this was probably unrealistic at first, thought it might be possible when my predicted grades were the same as my personal targets, and then went back to thinking it was unrealistic. When I set my goals, I knew I was going to apply for Computer Science with Maths and Cambridge, and I knew that the offer for this usually included 1, 1 in STEP. At this point I was intending to start preparing for STEP early on in the year, so added that to my targets.

In October I finished my UCAS application, submitting it around 3rd October and giving my Head of Sixth Form a copy and the receipt of payment on 4th October (my school wanted early applications to be finished by 6th, and I was going on a trip on ~4th October-8th October so I was cutting it fine).

Even though I'd been considering dropping Spanish for a few months, I felt like the fact I was going on a trip to Spain with my school, and that it was now on my submitted UCAS applicaiton, meant that I'd decided not to drop it, so I carried on doing all my subjects. I'm still not sure if this was a good idea or not. When I was struggling to finish my Computer Science coursework and prepare for my Spanish speaking exam at the same time in April, I wished I'd dropped Spanish. On results day I regretted that I'd put enough effort into Spanish to get an A beca~use I'd have been better off if I'd put that effort into one of my other subjects. Now my re-marks have pushed my grades up, I am glad that I did Spanish, but I still wish I'd balanced out my subjects better, because both of the A*s I got are very low, and if I'd spent more time on Further Maths and/or Computer Science, I'd probably have got higher A*s, and wouldn't have had to go through all the disappointment and uncertainty that followed results day.

Anyway, back to the Autumn term. To be honest, I'm not sure I remember the Autumn term very well, but I do remember checking UCAS track and my emails several times a day, waiting to see if I'd get offers from any unis. I received an offer from Leeds quite quickly, and then one from Warwick soon after. In November I got an offer Bristol and invited to an interview at Cambridge.In December I had my Cambridge interview, which was scary and I wasn't sure how I did. I had two interviews, one felt like it went well, the other felt like the first half way okay but the second half was awful. The CSAT felt like it went terribly. In January, I added UCL to my UCAS application, and then on 11th January, after refreshing my emails every two minutes for the whole morning, I received an offer from Cambridge! I was prepared to *not* get an offer, and none of my friends got offers, so it took a while for it to not feel strange rather than happy. In March(ish) I received an offer from UCL, and soon after I put Cambridge as my firm and Warwick as my insurance.

For Cambridge I had two possible offers: A* in Further Maths, A in Computer Science, and 1, 1 in STEP 2+3, or A*A in FM and CS, B in Spanish. I knew it was unlikely that I'd get 1, 1 in STEP, so decided it would be better to spend my time making sure I got a B in Spanish, because I wasn't completely sure I'd get it.

In March we also had mock exams. I can't remember exactly what I got in maths but I think it was a high B? In Computer Science I got an A*, and in Spanish I got an A. At this point I'd also realised I didn't have much time for my Computer Science NEA so lots of my Easter holidays doing that. Trying to finish my NEA was pretty stressful, and I spent loads of time at a public library, during the holidays and after school several days a week. I also had to prepare for my Spanish speaking exam at the same time.

Soon after this, exams began properly. I procrastinated a lot. I revised a lot when I wasn't procrastinating. I did lots of exams in one day some of the time. Some exams went well, some exams didn't. My last day of exams ended with two exams in one session, just to draw it out a bit. My last exam was also the last exam for the invigilators, so they were as happy as us when it ended.

Since exams, I've been to book return day and prom, been on holiday with my girlfriend to stay with my grandma in a seaside town, and been out with my friends a few times, often for birthdays, and also some pub quizzes. I've also spent a lot of time at home, playing the Sims.

I won't reflect on results day any more than I have in recent posts, but here's my concluding statement: Lelanor aimed for A*A*A*A 1, 1, and Lelanor got A*A*A*A 3, U, and is proud of herself!

Spoiler:
Show

That’s absolutely amazing that both of your grades went up with re-marks, well done and congratulations!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (8)
6.84%
They might tell the bully (16)
13.68%
I don't think they'd understand (19)
16.24%
It might lead to more bullying (41)
35.04%
There's nothing they could do (33)
28.21%

Watched Threads