The Student Room Group

Monash University or University of Adelaide Masters??

Hi all, I have applied and have gotten into the above two mentioned courses.

1) Monash - Masters in Counselling
2) Adelaide - Masters in Counselling & Psychotherapy

Why am i considering between the two:
1) Monash: - PROS: I have half a year of waivers, more reputable and bustling school, the modules are those that i have learnt before. CONS: Modules can be dry. ACA, PACFA & SAC accredited
2) Adelaide: PROS: They have really exciting modules like hypnosis and art therapy. CONS: Doesn't rank as well as monash, smaller city, the clubs aren't as wide-ranged, i don't have any waivers, only PACFA accredited

Any advice on which i should choose? Both are equally appealing to me. But I'm not sure if i should go by the "Branding" of the school or the wider range of modules (for future jobs)?

Would appreciate any advice or even alternatives!
(edited 6 years ago)
Always go for the course that will interest you more - always.

Its pointless studying for a course you are not actually enjoying just for the sake of some idea of 'better Uni'.

PS. You might be surprised - Adelaide isn't that boring and the arts scene there beats Melbourne every time.
Living in Adelaide is quite different from living in Melbourne. Bear that in mind!
Original post by Insecable
Living in Adelaide is quite different from living in Melbourne. Bear that in mind!

Cheaper for a start.
Original post by returnmigrant
Cheaper for a start.

That is a factor to consider.
Reply 5

Hi! Thanks for the reply. Could you elaborate a little more on that?
Reply 6
Always go for the course that will interest you more - always.

Its pointless studying for a course you are not actually enjoying just for the sake of some idea of 'better Uni'.

PS. You might be surprised - Adelaide isn't that boring and the arts scene there beats Melbourne every time.

Yes i agree. I have almost chosen Adelaide, however, my friends and family (about 9 in 10 people i asked) chose Monash.

So now I'm back to square one.
Original post by yurehye
Hi! Thanks for the reply. Could you elaborate a little more on that?

Melbourne is more of a traditional ''big'' city, and it's less isolated than Adelaide. I've only been to Melbourne though, but I know a guy in Adelaide, and apparently there are generally more job opportunities in Melbourne, due to its larger cosmopolitan nature.

When I went to Melbourne, it kind of reminded me of the UK in some ways, minus a few cultural differences (e.g AFL being the big sport in the city that everyone's crazy about).

If you want a smaller city in Australia where there's still stuff to do, Perth is better than Adelaide. All of this is subjective though. What kind of location are you seeking in Australia?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Melbourne is more of a traditional ''big'' city, and it's less isolated than Adelaide. I've only been to Melbourne though, but I know a guy in Adelaide, and apparently there are generally more job opportunities in Melbourne, due to its larger cosmopolitan nature.

When I went to Melbourne, it kind of reminded me of the UK in some ways, minus a few cultural differences (e.g AFL being the big sport in the city that everyone's crazy about).

If you want a smaller city in Australia where there's still stuff to do, Perth is better than Adelaide. All of this is subjective though. What kind of location are you seeking in Australia?

Im looking at southern Australia. Queensland (brisbane) was also in one of my choices but when asking my agent back here in Singapore she mentioned that it can be very quiet and its more of some place to relax and take photos. I felt that while it will be a nice place to visit for a holiday, it might not be somewhere where i would want to live in for 2 years?

Campus life would be an important factor too i guess, i consider myself to be quite active in school clubs from my previous university experiences.

Also, do you know if employers would look at the school's standing or subjects that we have taken?
Original post by yurehye
Im looking at southern Australia. Queensland (brisbane) was also in one of my choices but when asking my agent back here in Singapore she mentioned that it can be very quiet and its more of some place to relax and take photos. I felt that while it will be a nice place to visit for a holiday, it might not be somewhere where i would want to live in for 2 years?

Campus life would be an important factor too i guess, i consider myself to be quite active in school clubs from my previous university experiences.

Also, do you know if employers would look at the school's standing or subjects that we have taken?

Well, Monash uni is not in Southern Australia, so doesn't that narrow it down for you?

And my bad, I thought you were from the UK. In that case, I would actually refer you to the ''Whirlpool Forums''. Check out the education section of that forum. You'll be able to get answers from Australians there. I don't want to give you any misinformation, so that may be of benefit to you.

Good luck. :smile:
Reply 10
Well, Monash uni is not in Southern Australia, so doesn't that narrow it down for you?

And my bad, I thought you were from the UK. In that case, I would actually refer you to the ''Whirlpool Forums''. Check out the education section of that forum. You'll be able to get answers from Australians there. I don't want to give you any misinformation, so that may be of benefit to you.

Good luck. :smile:

Thanks so much!
but I know a guy in Adelaide

which is hardly knowing what you are talking about when comparing two cities is it?
PS. Monash is in Southern Australia because Victoria is in Southern Australia. Adelaide is also in Southern Australia because oddly enough the state called South Australia is also in Southern Australia.

Queensland is not. Its up the top, right hand side.That's North East Australia.

Now, does anyone else need a lesson in Australian geography while I'm here?
which is hardly knowing what you are talking about when comparing two cities is it?

Sure, it's better than the person only having one opinion to make such a big decision. I couldn't care less about Australia though.

Plus I never said I was well informed, hence why I referred him to a different forum, for more accurate information. ^_^
Reply 14
Sure, it's better than the person only having one opinion to make such a big decision. I couldn't care less about Australia though.

Plus I never said I was well informed, hence why I referred him to a different forum, for more accurate information. ^_^

Appreciate all the help here!
I tried whirlpool but there aren't any similar threads and no one replied to me either. ):btw I'm a "her"
Original post by yurehye
Appreciate all the help here!
I tried whirlpool but there aren't any similar threads and no one replied to me either. ):btw I'm a "her"

Sorry for assuming your gender. My mistake ):

You might get some replies within a few days. I guess you could also email the individual universities and see if they could refer you to some information about each course and the location.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending