Can you revise for english language?

Watch
Yusuf.3
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
How do you revise for english language, it does not seem possible as it is just natural ability, because if you do PEA OR PEE OR WHATEVER, that will guarantee you a grade 5 max, so something is missing and that can be the difference between getting the 9.
Grassflow
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Yusuf.3)
How do you revise for english language, it does not seem possible as it is just natural ability, because if you do PEA OR PEE OR WHATEVER, that will guarantee you a grade 5 max, so something is missing and that can be the difference between getting the 9.
One of the best ways to revise it is to always write properly online, it's good practice. There are several errors in your post, correct them and learn from them. A good amount of marks in English are awarded for spelling, punctuation and grammar.
phoebecarys
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Ask your teacher what you're doing wrong. I'm unfamiliar with the new course but with the old one I got A/A* by starting out with the rough structure of Point, Evidence, Analyse, Evaluate, Link, making sure that my quotes were brief and relevant to the exact question and always mentioning how different audiences might interpret it/how the writer intended it.

If you're satisfied with your writing style to some degree the best way to revise is practice questions!! I also made flash cards of key quotes for certain themes but honestly practice questions are great, it might be a good idea to analyse the mark schemes and to look over examiners reports too as they're very useful if you can find them.
Hope this helps!
Yusuf.3
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
are my mistakes mainly grammar,spelling,punctuation, i dont know.
Usually in exams my grammar is really successful, however i don't get full marks even with points that are excellent,but i sometimes get half or less than that.
Grassflow
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
are my mistakes mainly grammar,spelling,punctuation, i dont know.
Usually in exams my grammar is really successful, however i don't get full marks even with points that are excellent,but i sometimes get half or less than that.
Both your posts have all those errors in, you should ask your teacher how to improve your writing.
ZombieTheWolf
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Past papers. Print them out with mark schemes, examiner reports - see what they want out of you. I just sat the new 9-1 lang test and that was my method; old spec stuff. Would score pretty badly in class before trying this out (always Cs). Scored a 7 on my GCSEs though, so it worked for me.

Id write the perfect answer without any time constraint, seeing what that would look like. Afterwards, I would highlight important sections of the paragraph suchs as points and explanations, evalutation etc. Taking in all this info, id time myself the next time.
JackP_
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
You can do extremely well with minimal amount of revision, you just have to be familiar with the exam technique and be very perceptive.

I got a 9 in Language without doing much work, so it is possible. I did not do a single past paper.
Jang Gwangnam
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Youtube - Mr Bruff

This guy is the don, he'll help teach you something your teacher might have forgotten to teach you. Everyone in my year during the exams was watching his youtube videos on english language and literature.
DD2508
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I suggest you should

Read a lot of books

Watch Mr Bruff on yt if you're the kind of person to learn from videos bcoz they honestly help sooo much

Know how to structure answers to each type of question in the exam. You need to know exactly what each command word means and what you're supposed to do to get in each band on the markscheme

Use teacher feedback effectively - write practice answers and and ask your teacher exactly how you can improve them

Now this one might be a little weird but it really helped...the day before your exam or something you should look up good vocab to use in the exam (like synonyms of common words, good sentence starters for different types of answers, alternatives for common phrases etc) and chuck some of these in your answer to make your vocab sound more sophisticated lol...trust me this acc worked for me

I think this is pretty much all I did and I ended up with a 9
Hope this helped
pinkypaz123
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
For Q5 on Paper 1, what i think worked for me was that I read quite a lot of books (and fanfiction). I noticed that as I read, I would learn a word or two and my writing ability seemed to improve in general. This may not work for you but I would like to think it helped me
math42
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
The syllabus has changed since 2013 of course, but back then I just revised the night before using some slides the teacher gave us. All I seemed to need to know was the structure of the paper and a few guidelines on how to approach the questions. It was certainly one of the least revision intensive subjects I had. IIRC I got 195/200 UMS, so little danger of falling below A*.
But yeah I would advocate writing everything as well as you possibly can, as has been suggested. You only learn to write well with repetition. I couldn't tell you many formal grammatical rules, but if I try (disclaimer: I often do not when writing online) I can write with few to no flaws in that regard. This is purely because I've spent so much time writing and, indeed, when I was younger, reading.
It would also be good to do practice papers and look at the mark schemes to see precisely what is desired. Following that, what can make some difference is good writing, or, perhaps more accurately, writing in a manner which makes you sound intelligent. This does not mean your work should be devoid of content, examiners are not stupid and will see through waffle, however impressive it sounds, but that you should "dress up" the content in as nice a way as possible. Again, being able to do this is largely a matter of experience. Having read a decent amount is particularly useful.
Deliciate
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Didn't revise for English Lang AT ALL, only did like 3 papers in class nearing the English Lang exam but I managed to get a 9. This may seem strange but what I can say is that actively revising English Lang is an utter waste of time since you simply cannot predict what the question will be (whereas with English Lit you can thus revision can be more effective).

-What I did do however is revise English Lit independently and I can boldly say that this actively helped with my English Lang exam. I trained my analysis skills because I created powerpoints containing my OWN analysis of quotes from each character. Why many people did well in English Lit and not Lang is because they had been spoon-fed analysis throughout the year so when it came to the actual English Lang exam they had no way of independently analysing. I remember in my English Lang exam there was a question about a lady called Rosabel who was evidently from the upper class society so I integrated context from An Inspector Calls from English Lit (heavily based on the hierarchy of social classes) and this boosted my answer.

-Obviously you can revise English Lang through doing practice papers but that's all I think you should do for it, remember you have lots of other more pressing subjects to revise for. Reading books is great and I'm a huge book nerd but throughout year 11 I didn't read a single book independently because I was too busy. I read a lot in previous years and wrote stories of my own but I think this is a skill that should have already been developed as it's probably too late in year 11.

-Lastly, I'd say that you could practice for the last section which is creative writing and I compiled a few descriptive notes. e.g. I did some descriptive writing about crows and weather the day before and in my exams I metaphorically described people as crows -- you can force descriptions so long as it's effective. The day before my exams I also researched some sophisticated vocab and practiced it on Quizlet and then chucked it into my essay. English Lang was DEFINITELY my least stressful exam in terms on revision and the same with maths. English Literature however was torture. Still managed to get 9 in Lit and Lang.

That being said, I really didn't revise for Lang as I do not believe it can be 'revised'. Even the day before my actual English Lang exam I was predominately revising for Geography and just watched an English video in the morning of my exam. I didn't even properly know the structure for the questions or the timing, I really winged it. English is a skill that you have to develop so throughout the year make sure you're picking up new vocab. I'm someone who searches up a word that I'm unfamiliar with. Make sure you're texting/typing with good grammar etc...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (28)
9.62%
Okay (86)
29.55%
A bit lacking (105)
36.08%
Not good at all (72)
24.74%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed