Turn on thread page Beta

Isle of Man TT (Motorbike) Deaths... watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay lets get this straight...I live in the Isle of Man and I am worried about the amount of deaths which seem to ever grow, year upon year.

I love watching the racing. 170mph+ through dual carriage ways and towns over a 37mile course. The atmosphere is electric both on and off the track.

However, the amounts of deaths that have taken place over the past year have made me think harder about the event.

Yesterday a rider, who was leading the race by 20+ seconds died on the final lap at 150mph. On the previous lap he set a 'class' record. Does the course need modification or limit the 'superbike' status to only the elite riders?

Mind you even then you can’t stop them dying! The course record holder and countless winner David Jeffries lost his life the previous year! This course is so hard that even the greatest person ever to ride it can’t out-live it!!

In only this past week, in the lesser event on the TT course, the Manx Grand Prix has claimed the lives of 3 young men. During the 2004 TT period at least 12 people died. This happens year upon year! Not only does this cause the residents pain but they too can be involved in accidents.

How many more lives are going to be lost? Anybody got any suggestions?

Picks - MGP's latest victim - http://www.photomann.net/MGP/target0.html

Tommy Clucas Website - Diary - August 28th - talks about the death of another local rider and questions why he does it - he died in the race this week – RIP - http://www.tomclucas.com/2004/DiaryMGP280804.htm

Any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Don't ride motorbikes?

Don't watch spectator sport?

ReputationRep:
    Not when the tourists it brings to island forms a massive part of the Islands economy!!

Dont be sarcastic....this is not a funny thread.....

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but, the riders and the spectators all know the risks. Even more so, in light of recent events.

Never heard of gallows humour?

ReputationRep:
    Just make sure they've all signed organ donor cards.

ReputationRep:
    Make them wear seat belts.

ReputationRep:
    Seatbelts.....hmmm are you on any kind of drug?

Constructive thoughts on this matter might help...all we seem to get is sarcastic comments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hossy)
    Seatbelts.....hmmm are you on any kind of drug?
    Well there is a new kind of motorbike out that have seat belts, though they are hardly superbikes. Honda C1 or something.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hossy)
    Not when the tourists it brings to island forms a massive part of the Islands economy!!
    So this is more important than lives? I'm not saying you advocate this but it is important to consider safety.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Well there is a new kind of motorbike out that have seat belts, though they are hardly superbikes. Honda C1 or something.....
    BMW actually, and they're rubbish. It's better to not be strapped on a motorbike.

ReputationRep:
    Am i right in thinking the IOM still has no speed limit? Introducing one might be a start, wouldn't help with the races but would help with the inexperienced tourists on the road.

ReputationRep:
    One of my mums best friends husband died in a motorbike accident a couple of years ago, this was in Staffordshire. He was doing 30mph when another car clipped him. It wasn't his fault it was just a freak accident.

However ever since then I hate the sight of motorbikes as they caused a death of a family friend.

ReputationRep:
    As I said, (constructively and not sarcastically) the riders and the spectators all know the risks. Even more so, in light of recent events.

This is true of motorcyclists generally. Motorbikes aren't known as 'death on two wheels' for nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spk)
    This is true of motorcyclists generally. Motorbikes aren't known as 'death on two wheels' for nothing.
    The NHS term for motorcyclists was "mobile organ donors".

If people choose to take risks they are entitled to. Taking risks, learning your skills and limits, is a very important part of life. Sometimes you don't learn because you die. Just make sure other people who aren't part of your learning experience don't get hurt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    The NHS term for motorcyclists was "mobile organ donors".

If people choose to take risks they are entitled to. Taking risks, learning your skills and limits, is a very important part of life. Sometimes you don't learn because you die. Just make sure other people who aren't part of your learning experience don't get hurt.
    m 12 years working in the NHS and never heard that one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    m 12 years working in the NHS and never heard that one.
    Very old joke with London paramedics.

ReputationRep:
    Why not make all riders wear the 'super' crash helmet? It inflates a personal airbag infront of the rider should he crash....

Is there an answer to the racing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spk)
    Yeam most of the time it's the cars fault :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    In an un-related incident to the TT or MGP - happened to be on the TT course?? - A tractor and a trailer fell on a passing biker - it ended up with only one result......

I'm now starting to think the roads here are more dangerous than anywhere else.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    BMW actually, and they're rubbish.
    That's the one, other manufacturers are picking this design up it seems. I don't particularly like them either.

(Original post by G4ry)
    It's better to not be strapped on a motorbike.
    Presumably so you don't get crushed by it?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 10, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.