feiow
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
how many hours of revision should you do on a school day and weekend for a A* at A Level (ik everyone is different etc. but just a rough guide)
Inister
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
For A2? I started revising on January 13th. I just stayed in the library until like 6-7pm every day after college. On weekends, I revised for like 4 hours. These hours increased in the weeks leading up to my exams.
Texxers
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Inister)
For A2? I started revising on January 13th. I just stayed in the library until like 6-7pm every day after college. On weekends, I revised for like 4 hours. These hours increased in the weeks leading up to my exams.
So on the average weekday, how many hours of revision did you do?
Inister
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Texxers)
So on the average weekday, how many hours of revision did you do?
I remember always trying to aim for 8hrs of work "in total" (lessons + revision), so if I had 3 lessons, I'd do 5hrs revision. If I had 1 lesson, I'd (try) to do 7hrs revision. This meant I split the day up into "8s": 8hrs work, 8hrs sleep, 8hrs eating & leisure.

I did this from the 13th of January to the 20th of May, then study leave came and I got very close to exams so I steadily increased up to 10hrs maximum revision until 26th June, when my exams finished.

You don't have to do this much, but I was very motivated
dlaws.
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
prior to january...how much extra work (on top of lessons) were you doing?

- sorry for intruding on your post feiow :oops:
Inister
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by dlaws.)
prior to january...how much extra work (on top of lessons) were you doing?
I don't remember too well. I was concentrating on finishing my EPQ at that time, and also on actually learning the new content through homework and stuff. I also had admissions tests and interviews etc.

Maybe like 2hrs max extra work during free periods. I definitely didn't stay in the library after my lessons were done.
dlaws.
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't remember too well. I was concentrating on finishing my EPQ at that time, and also on actually learning the new content through homework and stuff. I also had admissions tests and interviews etc.

Maybe like 2hrs max extra work during free periods. I definitely didn't stay in the library after my lessons were done.
ah i see, thank you
Courtney19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sorry for jumping on your post, but may I ask what grades you got?
Inister
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Courtney19)
Sorry for jumping on your post, but may I ask what grades you got?
A* A* A

geography, politics, biology
MajorFader
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A* A* A

Did you do political ideologies for A2 politics?
Courtney19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A* A* A

Wow, that's great, congrats! I'm doing biology too - I just received a B in a mock (we don't do AS) but I'm aiming for an A in A2 so I need to up my game somehow haha
Inister
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MajorFader)
Did you do political ideologies for A2 politics?
Lol yes, on Edexcel. I really enjoyed it
Inister
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Courtney19)
Wow, that's great, congrats! I'm doing biology too - I just received a B in a mock (we don't do AS) but I'm aiming for an A in A2 so I need to up my game somehow haha
Yeah Biology's a tough one (especially OCR this year). Needs a lot of time spent on it - I just made loads of flashcards and repeatedly cycled through them
MajorFader
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Lol yes, on Edexcel. I really enjoyed it
What times do you have for that unit? I finished AS politics with a B and I am kinda disappointed but oh well. Are the essays much more harder to adjust to?
PythagorasGhost
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by feiow)
how many hours of revision should you do on a school day and weekend for a A* at A Level (ik everyone is different etc. but just a rough guide)
On a school day, probably a couple of hours after college. On weekends, maybe 3/4 hours, excluding time for breaks + procrastinating...

To be honest it was fairly iterative - I'd do more or less based on how well I was doing in past papers.
SubElevenG
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I got two A*s at A level, I didn't have a set number of hours I just did work when I got home for a few hours every night and made sure I did a decent amount on the weekend. Don't aim for hours, aim to understand things.
AlesanaWill
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I did 1-2 hours a day on weekdays and probably 6 hours on weekends. I worked throughout the year and tried to keep on top of everything. I tended to do the work we learned in lessons and then go over everything using textbooks.

At around the start of April I upped this and started my proper revision. I was probably revising 8 hours a day.

This allowed me to get 3 A*s in my A levels.
Courtney19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah Biology's a tough one (especially OCR this year). Needs a lot of time spent on it - I just made loads of flashcards and repeatedly cycled through them
That's a good idea, thanks. To be fair I crammed and did 45.5 hours in the week before the mock so I'll start earlier for the real thing lol
rosie.mn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Someone said above 'don't aim for hours, aim to understand things' and I think that advice is crucial. It's all well and good timetabling in hours upon hours of revision, but aim to complete tasks, consolidate certain sections instead of aiming for a set amount of time as it's not about how much you revise but how effectively you revise.
Lucofthewoods
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A* A* A

Can you give me advice on how to revise for biology?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (40)
26.67%
No (110)
73.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed