The Student Room Group

Working part-time while you have full-time studies.

Hello, I am planning to study Forensic Computing in Portsmouth university next year. Studies are full-time and I was wondering if it's possible to have at least a part-time job while studying full-time? I am a student outside of UK, so I wouldn't get Maintenance loan. Without working it would simply not be possible for me to study as I wouldn't have enough money to pay for rent/food etc. I know it depends on studies, lesson times etc etc. I would be grateful if somebody who studies full-time and works at least part-time could share their situation.
Original post by Chanteure
Hello, I am planning to study Forensic Computing in Portsmouth university next year. Studies are full-time and I was wondering if it's possible to have at least a part-time job while studying full-time? I am a student outside of UK, so I wouldn't get Maintenance loan. Without working it would simply not be possible for me to study as I wouldn't have enough money to pay for rent/food etc. I know it depends on studies, lesson times etc etc. I would be grateful if somebody who studies full-time and works at least part-time could share their situation.

It is possible but depends on your university - some universities recommend 12hr a week of work as a limit but some are more flexible with regards to this.

Are you from the EU?
Reply 3
Original post by lawlieto
Are you from the EU?

I am from EU
I am from EU

I don't personally work, but I know people who do, and they usually do it over the weekend. They seem to manage, although I wouldn't recommend to work more than 12-16 hours a week

Assuming you are from the EU: WIth most courses its perfectly possible to work part time alongside studies if needs be. Supermarkets, bars, cafes/restaurants in particular all take on students for part time work. However it is low paid and would be very unlikely to cover all your rent so you would need some of your own funds too.
Reply 6
Well we are couple of two, we'll be applying to the same uni. At the moment we are trying to make some money to start with.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending