scared about starting A-Level Chemistry

Watch
peacheyroses
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
so I'll be starting year 12 in less than 2 weeks and I'll be taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry.

I'm kinda worried that I'm gonna find chemistry really hard and hate it. I got an A* at GCSE (I'm not sure how many marks i got but I found the chemistry exams really easy so I'm assuming it was a pretty high A*).

I actually absolutely hated chemistry throughout GCSE, mainly because I couldn't understand it - due to the fact that I never actually paid much attention in class (oops) even though I'm actually a really hard working student.

I was set on doing A level French but after revising for my GCSEs, I realised that I actually could understand the material and in turn started to enjoy it a lot more and that's what has led me to change my subjects. It's also a lot more useful to me than French and will open me up to a lot more sciencey degrees (so I'm not just limited to physics/ maths/ engineering degrees incase I change my mind).

I'm just scared I'm going to start it and find it really difficult and regret my decision.
honeybee1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm about to start year 12 aswell and have chosen French, biology & chemistry. I'm nervous to start chemistry aswell as I believe it's really difficult, if you don't enjoy it or find it too hard, I'm sure they'll let you change to a different subject. That's what I plan on doing anyway.
IvoryToast
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I cant sugarcoat A level chemistry, i did the same four a levels (physics, chemistry, maths and further maths) and chemistry was the by far the hardest for me.
You have to actively enjoy revising it- self study it loads , understand every line of the textbooks- its not like maths subjects where its eady to just do batches of questions. Chemistry requires a lot more motivation and initiative.
But equally it is a rewarding A level if you stay ahead of it, and is probably the most respected A level around regardless of what you go into after. I can only recommend doing it if you think you can.
What will also help you is the links between physics, maths amd further maths making these sujects simpler. And as i said previously i found these subjects easy to learn as there are so many questions other there and they are so conceptual, methodical and as such logical.

Btw i only got an A in gcse chemistry yet went on to get an A* at A level in AQA chemistry iwhile getting A's in edexcel in both maths and a C in edexcel physics (a terrible course with barely any content and too high a definitions to problems and comcepts, all the other examboards' courses are much better though)
YourGoddamnRight
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Saaaame
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey, don't stress yourself out too much before you've even started! I've just finished the new spec chemistry A Level so i'll give you some tips that should hopefully help you:
-Do every single past paper you can get your hands on: this includes new spec papers, old spec papers and even legacy papers from back in 2002
-As boring as this sounds, do all the homework that you're set as it can really help you in the long run
-Do all the little exercises in the textbook because again they can really help to cement concepts into memory
-Ask your teacher if you're ever stuck so that you don't become overwhelmed
-I found the CGP revision guide really good and also Chemguide (website) was helpful. I also bought the chemistry book written by the guy who made Chemguide: its basically all mathematical chemistry questions so really gives you a lot of practice.

Hope this helps and good luck
ViaMarz
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm about to start year 13 and I'm taking chemistry, biology, maths and further maths. I'm taking AQA chemistry and I have absolutely loved it ( considering that I want to study maths at university, so chemistry isn't my priority). It is a step up, but it's not too bad.
Nininoo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by honeybee1)
I'm about to start year 12 aswell and have chosen French, biology & chemistry. I'm nervous to start chemistry aswell as I believe it's really difficult, if you don't enjoy it or find it too hard, I'm sure they'll let you change to a different subject. That's what I plan on doing anyway.
I did Music, Chemistry, Biology and French, good choices!
For chemistry, use Khan academy and Chemguide they are fab resources for revision and learning. Keep on top of your notes and do as many past papers as possible! Hope this helps and good luck!
honeybee1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Nininoo)
I did Music, Chemistry, Biology and French, good choices!
For chemistry, use Khan academy and Chemguide they are fab resources for revision and learning. Keep on top of your notes and do as many past papers as possible! Hope this helps and good luck!
Haha thanks
How did you find your options, were they enjoyable & manageable?
Sheek1234
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Heya!

Literally just completed my A-levels and I took chemistry, biology and psychology. I actually found the transition from gcse to a level chemistry relatively smooth so it really depends on the person! The first few topics are recapping gcse so I'm sure you will be fine, you've done super well at gcse 💙 If your still feeling nervous I would just do some light pre-reading of your older notes.
I also know people who've found it tricky and gradually got better or changed subject altogether- if you find it too hard/ not enjoyable I would consider switching subject as u can't drop it after as level.

Best of luck!!!
SpidgetFinner
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
just learn the mark schemes and you're golden, pretty much all I did and I got an A in A level chemistry this summer
Nininoo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Haha thanks
How did you find your options, were they enjoyable & manageable?
Yeah, I loved my subjects last year and got 4 As! It's really nice doing a mix of science and language/art. Just keep up with your notes, especially in the sciences! French radio apps are great help and can be a fun and relaxing way to revise after some intense science study! Have fun and work hard and you'll love them
honeybee1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah, I loved my subjects last year and got 4 As! It's really nice doing a mix of science and language/art. Just keep up with your notes, especially in the sciences! French radio apps are great help and can be a fun and relaxing way to revise after some intense science study! Have fun and work hard and you'll love them
Wow that's so good, well done! What are you doing now? Yes, I love languages & science so I should find them enjoyable. I plan on starting my notes as soon as I start, so I don't fall behind. That's a good idea, I did that on the morning of my listening exam for gcse! Do you have any more tips for revision? Thanks so much for your help
Username1502
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
ocr a as chem is a joke. idk about edexcel or aqa though lol
Nininoo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Wow that's so good, well done! What are you doing now? Yes, I love languages & science so I should find them enjoyable. I plan on starting my notes as soon as I start, so I don't fall behind. That's a good idea, I did that on the morning of my listening exam for gcse! Do you have any more tips for revision? Thanks so much for your help
I'm doing Maths, Music and either Chemistry or French this year for A2 (still haven't decided!) Something that worked for me was just taking time out from study to relax, like work really hard during the day but too much can stress you out and make you exhausted! Good luck, I hope you enjoy your subjects as much as I did!!!
black1blade
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Contrary to what everyone else is saying, I think chemistry is by far the easiest (maybe normal maths is a tad easier) or at least chemistry comes quite naturally to me and I consistently perform better in it than physics and often maths. If you hated and couldn't understand it at gcse then maybe you wont do great but when approaching questions you just have to be very considerate and with chemistry it's very easily to be systemically considerate where as in physics it's extremely easy to over or under complicate a problem and get it totally wrong.
black1blade
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by IvoryToast)
I cant sugarcoat A level chemistry, i did the same four a levels (physics, chemistry, maths and further maths) and chemistry was the by far the hardest for me.
You have to actively enjoy revising it- self study it loads , understand every line of the textbooks- its not like maths subjects where its eady to just do batches of questions. Chemistry requires a lot more motivation and initiative.
But equally it is a rewarding A level if you stay ahead of it, and is probably the most respected A level around regardless of what you go into after. I can only recommend doing it if you think you can.
What will also help you is the links between physics, maths amd further maths making these sujects simpler. And as i said previously i found these subjects easy to learn as there are so many questions other there and they are so conceptual, methodical and as such logical.

Btw i only got an A in gcse chemistry yet went on to get an A* at A level in AQA chemistry iwhile getting A's in edexcel in both maths and a C in edexcel physics (a terrible course with barely any content and too high a definitions to problems and comcepts, all the other examboards' courses are much better though)
I'm doing into year 2 edexcel physics wish me luck ;_;. I got an A at as level but because the markschemes are so specific and the questions so obtuse, you only needed 54% to get an A and I had 69.
thegerglishboy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by peacheyroses)
so I'll be starting year 12 in less than 2 weeks and I'll be taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry.

I'm kinda worried that I'm gonna find chemistry really hard and hate it. I got an A* at GCSE (I'm not sure how many marks i got but I found the chemistry exams really easy so I'm assuming it was a pretty high A*).

I actually absolutely hated chemistry throughout GCSE, mainly because I couldn't understand it - due to the fact that I never actually paid much attention in class (oops) even though I'm actually a really hard working student.

I was set on doing A level French but after revising for my GCSEs, I realised that I actually could understand the material and in turn started to enjoy it a lot more and that's what has led me to change my subjects. It's also a lot more useful to me than French and will open me up to a lot more sciencey degrees (so I'm not just limited to physics/ maths/ engineering degrees incase I change my mind).

I'm just scared I'm going to start it and find it really difficult and regret my decision.
I have just finished y12 and got an A for Chemistry. My advice would be to try and enjoy chemistry at the beginning so that when the very tough parts come you pull yourself through. I made a mistake of leaving it almost till the very end.
honeybee1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm doing Maths, Music and either Chemistry or French this year for A2 (still haven't decided!) Something that worked for me was just taking time out from study to relax, like work really hard during the day but too much can stress you out and make you exhausted! Good luck, I hope you enjoy your subjects as much as I did!!!
Oh right, aha Thanks again & same I hope I really do enjoy them
social_chemist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Anyone doing Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Computing?
s.xw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by peacheyroses)

I can't offer any advice on the Chemistry part but I went through the exact same thought process as you! Chose Chemistry instead of French because I understood the concepts, and also because I'd rather have a strong set of STEM A Levels rather than a random mix and match. It helps that I already speak a second language anyway.

So clearly understanding the material helps because you got an A* and found the papers easy. I think people who find the science subjects tricky are the ones who stick to rote learning and don't put much effort into understanding what they're actually memorising, so they can't apply their knowledge in different situations. It doesn't sound like that's the case for you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (672)
33.63%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (850)
42.54%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (385)
19.27%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed