The Student Room Group

How much do LSE, Warwick, UCL and Kings emphasise GCSEs

What are my chances of getting into the universities in the title for economic with these GCSE results:

English language 5- I'm hoping it will go up and if not I will retake
Maths A*
Geography A*
Latin A*
Biology A*
Chemistry A*
Physics A*
Computing A- one mark off an A* :/
Further maths A - 2 marks off an A* :/
Product Design A- 3 marks off an A* :/
English lang A

all together 6 A* 4 As and a 5. I have been stressing so much since I got my results, haven't even been able to go to sleep :c Can you guys please tell me your opinion on what these universities will think about a resit in English language?
Reply 1
Original post by AlwaysImprove
What are my chances of getting into the universities in the title for economic with these GCSE results:

Maths A*
Geography A*
Latin A*
Biology A*
Chemistry A*
Physics A*
English lang A

all together 6 A* 4 As and a 5. I have been stressing so much since I got my results, haven't even been able to go to sleep :c Can you guys please tell me your opinion on what these universities will think about a resit in English language?

What do you want to do at uni?

You shouldn't worry about your GCSEs, escpecially when you have good results
As far as I am concerned, UCL and Warwick both have English grade requirements of 5 so I don't think there is much point in retaking English language.
Suggest you stop being lazy (and showing off) and look at the relevant course pages on each Uni website for the answer.

All Universities are quite open about this sort of information - it isnt some sort of state secret available only to a special few.
Original post by stoyfan
What do you want to do at uni?

You shouldn't worry about your GCSEs, escpecially when you have good results
As far as I am concerned, UCL and Warwick both have English grade requirements of 5 so I don't think there is much point in retaking English language.

Maths and economics , I really had my eyes set on Warwick MORSE and I have heard that in order to have a strong application you need 8A* and the rest As otherwise your application is risky for high level economics degrees. I feel really upset and worried. :c
Original post by returnmigrant
Suggest you stop being lazy (and showing off) and look at the relevant course pages on each Uni website for the answer.

All Universities are quite open about this sort of information - it isnt some sort of state secret available only to a special few.

'showing off'? when you expect 9A*s and barely miss them and then get an extremely bad result for eng lang compared to the rest of your results then you really do get quite upset. Additionally I have already looked at the university websites and have seen their outlined entry requirements but on other TSR forum people are contradicting what the university states on its forum and so I am just asking for some personal experience accounts of their experience at these unis with similar or worse GCSE results.
Reply 5
Maths and economics , I really had my eyes set on Warwick MORSE and I have heard that in order to have a strong application you need 8A* and the rest As otherwise your application is risky for high level economics degrees. I feel really upset and worried. :c

I think you should get 2/3 of your gcse grades remarked (the ones close to the a* boundary). The worst that can happen is that your UMS doesn't go up, and you lose£30-£40. I think you should do this, especially since your grade definitely won't go down (because of being a high A)

You can actually ask the school departments if they can pay for remarks on your behalf, so that way you won't lose any money
You require : A levels : A*AA, to include A* in Mathematics and A in Further Mathematics : http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses-2018/mmorse

They are clearly not fussed about your GCSEs because they dont list any requirement. The only skill you need to prove is Maths and if you have got A* at A level then that is clearly enough. If you 'have heard' then I suggest you ask that person where they go that information from.

Book yourself a place on an Open Day (yes you can go in Year 11 or 12 - thats fine) and you'll get told all this stuff, with lots of opportunities to ask questions.
[QUOTE="AlwaysImprove;73489632"]Maths and economics , I really had my eyes set on Warwick MORSE and I have heard that in order to have a strong application you need 8A* and the rest As otherwise your application is risky for high level economics degrees. I feel really upset and worried. :c[/QUOTE

I applied to warwick (Morse) lse (maths with eco) and ucl (mathsand eco) and got all 3 offers with only 5 GCSEs (A*AABB) so dont worry lol
Reply 8
Universities don't really look at GCSEs too much tbh. If they do, it'd just be to look at overall academic achievement. A few look at English Language grades but from what I gather from the new GCSE grades a 5 should be fine! It really comes down to what you get in your A Levels. With your grades you don't have to worry about GCSEs any longer. ;0
[QUOTE="Nonamebzja;73490028"]
Maths and economics , I really had my eyes set on Warwick MORSE and I have heard that in order to have a strong application you need 8A* and the rest As otherwise your application is risky for high level economics degrees. I feel really upset and worried. :c[/QUOTE

I applied to warwick (Morse) lse (maths with eco) and ucl (mathsand eco) and got all 3 offers with only 5 GCSEs (A*AABB) so dont worry lol

UCL don't do Maths and eco lol

Maths A*
Geography A*
Latin A*
Biology A*
Chemistry A*
Physics A*
English lang A

Really? 6A*s and you are stressing so much and can't go to sleep? Sounds more of a troll thread to me
Reply 11
don't mean to come across as rude, but 'expecting' all A*s is essentially setting yourself up for disappointment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why do you have English language twice
[QUOTE="TheRandomGenius;73543314"]
Original post by Nonamebzja

UCL don't do Maths and eco lol

Well i meant Maths WITH Economics sorry boss

Quick Reply

Latest