Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

aiming to not fail Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:

🤷 aiming to not fail 🤷

Hi! I'm Ade. GCSEs went a lot better than I expected, and now I'm hoping I don't crash and burn in A-Levels. I'm going to a sixth form where I will know roughly 3 people, and I am slightly terrified, but more than slightly excited. I'm hoping to study English and History at Uni (although I'm not dead set on this yet).

I hope to get more involved in extracurricular stuff this year, so any suggestions for what to do are very welcome.

Pretty much the aim of this is to keep me accountable for any work I do/don't do, and hopefully push myself to stay productive.

Subjects:
    • English Literature (Edexcel)
    • History (Edexcel)
    • Maths (Edexcel)
    • Chemistry (Edexcel)
    • EPQ

GCSE Grades:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    • English Language (AQA): 9
    • English Literature (AQA): 9
    • Maths (Edexcel): 9
    • Religious Studies (Edexcel): A*
    • German (Edexcel): A*
    • Triple Science (AQA): A*, A*, A*
    • History (Edexcel): A*
    • ICT (WJEC): A*
    • BTEC Art (Edexcel): D*2

Essay competitions:
    Spoiler:
    Show

2017:
    John Locke Institute [Very High Commendation]
    Betty Haigh Shakespeare Prize [Entered - results not yet posted]

To maybe enter in 2018:
    St John's Year 12 Essay Prize (Classics)
    The Mary Renault Prize (Classics)
    The Julia Wood Prize (History)
    The Gould Prize (English Literature) - essay topic posted in February
    Connell Guides Essay Prize (English Literature)
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Good luck! I'm sure you'll do well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beanzz)

🤷 aiming to not fail 🤷

Hi! I'm Ade. GCSEs went a lot better than I expected, and now I'm hoping I don't crash and burn in A-Levels. I'm going to a sixth form where I will know roughly 3 people, and I am slightly terrified, but more than slightly excited. I'm hoping to study English and History at Uni (although I'm not dead set on this yet).

I hope to get more involved in extracurricular stuff this year, so any suggestions for what to do are very welcome.

Pretty much the aim of this is to keep me accountable for any work I do/don't do, and hopefully push myself to stay productive.

Subjects:
    • English Literature (OCR)
    • History (Edexcel)
    • Maths (Edexcel)
    • Chemistry (Edexcel)
    • EPQ

GCSE Grades:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    • ICT (WJEC): A

Essay competitions:
    Spoiler:
    Show

In terms of extra curricular related to these subjects I would say debating, amnesty, model UN and any relevant clubs your school has to offer. Especially in terms of English debating can be extremely helpful in developing skills. Anyway good luck in the years to come, hope all goes well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CinnamonSmol)
    Good luck! I'm sure you'll do well
    Thank you! Good luck to you too.

(Original post by cat7)
    In terms of extra curricular related to these subjects I would say debating, amnesty, model UN and any relevant clubs your school has to offer. Especially in terms of English debating can be extremely helpful in developing skills. Anyway good luck in the years to come, hope all goes well.
    Thanks for the suggestions - I've never really got involved with any extracurricular as nothing has appealed to me. Hopefully, a new school will bring different clubs and opportunities. Good luck to you too. (:

ReputationRep:

So this week's priorities (and probably next week's) are the set transition works for sixth form.
    • I completed the Maths work in a couple of hours, and then have also completed a booklet I received from another sixth form I was considering. Just need to mark them to make sure I haven't completely forgotten everything and am fooling myself when thinking I remember GCSE maths.
    • I've also completed (but have yet to mark) the Chemistry. It was pretty dire. Evidently, I need to revise.
    • I read Wuthering Heights for English Literature at the start of the summer, but still have to finish Tess of the D'Urbervilles.
    • History has the most summer work, and I'm halfway through one of two (very long) tasks. I never know whether I'm putting in too much detail or not enough in History?

Once I've completed all the tasks, I'm probably going to do some wider reading regarding History, and also make some notes on the set English texts.
    Going through each specification is also probably maybe going to happen.

ReputationRep:

'Once I've completed all the tasks' lmao ok me.
    I've finished everything except I still have 50 pages of Tess. I'll definitely finish it by tomorrow but will I be bothered to do more work?

It's a mystery.
    (First day is on Thursday. I still need to go and get notebooks.)
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beanzz)

🤷 aiming to not fail 🤷

Subjects:
    • English Literature (Edexcel)
    • History (Edexcel)
    • Maths (OCR)
    • Chemistry (Edexcel)
    • EPQ

GCSE Grades:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    • ICT (WJEC): A

Essay competitions:
    Spoiler:
    Show

2017:
    John Locke Institute (Philosophy) [shortlisted]

To maybe enter in 2018:
    St John's Year 12 Essay Prize (Classics)
    The Mary Renault Prize (Classics)
    The Julia Wood Prize (History)
    The Betty Haigh Shakespeare Prize (English Literature)
    The Gould Prize (English Literature) - essay topic posted in February
    Connell Guides Essay Prize (English Literature)

Those are amazing GCSE grades! Well done I'm sure you'll do really well this year :party:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    Those are amazing GCSE grades! Well done I'm sure you'll do really well this year :party:
    Thanks! (: It's only been 2 days, and I'm already exhausted, so the next 2 years aren't looking so great.

ReputationRep:

I am awful at typing up notes from handwritten ones and I take approximately 30 hours to complete any homework that isn't maths. Great start to A-Levels.
    Results back from John Locke Institute Essay Competition and IIIiiiiii am pleased as punch.

ReputationRep:
    oooh do you mind sharing your essays with me? it'd be an interesting read!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saharan_skies)
    oooh do you mind sharing your essays with me? it'd be an interesting read!!
    PM'd you a link!

ReputationRep:

SO:
    1) We seem to be doing nothing new in chemistry and I am both worried by this, but also confusing myself with the simple stuff.
    2) I started a(n essay? Don't know if I'll stick to that) blog: https://spaghetteaiou.wordpress.com/ because I hate myself.
    If anyone who happens to stumble upon this also has a Wordpress blog please feel free to share. I need to follow people.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.