The Student Room Group

Something you wish you knew before starting Med School

Anything you wish you knew before you started?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by hxrrisali

Do you study medicine?
Original post by aytuiq
Do you study medicine?

I'll be starting this year

* It's not worth the hype
* Most non-medics hate medical students
* Prioritise getting 8 hours of sleep over that work you left til the last minute
* Even though that fifth year says you have to down that drink, you don't really have to
* Have hobbies outside of medicine / science so you won't be driven mad
* Try making friends with non-medics so you don't end up in a little med-school bubble like everybody else
* People in med school can be extremely snakey and competitive when it comes to grades / hospital placement etc. Don't be like those people.
Reply 4
Original post by Bezoar
* It's not worth the hype
* Prioritise getting 8 hours of sleep over that work you left til the last minute
* Even though that fifth year says you have to down that drink, you don't really have to
* Try making friends with non-medics so you don't end up in a little med-school bubble like everybody else
* People in med school can be extremely snakey and competitive when it comes to grades / hospital placement etc. Don't be like those people.

Can an introverted person cope?
Original post by aytuiq
Can an introverted person cope?

Of course, I'm introverted myself and I've made it to third year. Don't forget, there is a difference between being introverted and being shy - as long as you are not shy or quiet in OSCE/ communication skills scenarios you'll be fine. As for the social side, there are plenty of other introverts around who you'll get on with.
Original post by Bezoar

* Most non-medics hate medical students.

Why is this?
Reply 7
why do non medics hate medics? I'm starting Medicine in September.
Why is this?

Original post by afife
why do non medics hate medics? I'm starting Medicine in September.

You'll realise that a lot of people studying medicine can be quite arrogant about it, especially freshers who are knew to being in Med school. It can be quite cliquey on the course too. That's what it's like in my uni anyway; it might be different at yours.
Can definitely agree with the what's been said already especially the medic bubble and the snake comments-watch your back honestly!

Definitely make friends with the older years too, their advice can be invaluable.
Original post by Bezoar

Realllly? I wanted to be friends with some medics :frown: and everyone in general.
I study at UCL but will be applying for GEM next year. I can tell you that non-medics aren't particularly keep on medics because they are in their own bubble and essentially isolated. A lot of universities, for example, have separate sports teams for medical students (generally the 'bigger' sports though) which means that medics and non-medics will be rivals, even though they attend the same university. Obviously doesn't go down well at all. It's all about the bubble.
Original post by Bezoar

TBH, I was actually thinking the opposite because I think I wouldn't be able to stay on top of everything if I relaxed a little
Original post by Bezoar

& yeah I've heard this to be true especially when it comes to summer internships
Original post by Mrs House
Can definitely agree with the what's been said already especially the medic bubble and the snake comments-watch your back honestly!

Definitely make friends with the older years too, their advice can be invaluable.

Any advice in terms of studying?
Any advice in terms of studying?

Work smart and hard and find out early on how you work best. Find out how you are examined and best sources of revision e.g. Lectures, textbooks, LOs

For example, I have 2 single best answers papers and 1 short answer question paper so I target my revision to do well in the SBA as they carry more marks :smile:
lol when the only non-medics at my campus will be dentists
TBH, I was actually thinking the opposite because I think I wouldn't be able to stay on top of everything if I relaxed a little

You HAVE to do something that isn't medicine. Burnout lies ahead otherwise.
Original post by Mrs House
Work smart and hard and find out early on how you work best. Find out how you are examined and best sources of revision e.g. Lectures, textbooks, LOs

For example, I have 2 single best answers papers and 1 short answer question paper so I target my revision to do well in the SBA as they carry more marks :smile:

Thank you - also, did you buy most of your books or did you use the library? I don't want to spend hundreds only to realise that the library store them
Original post by Helenia
You HAVE to do something that isn't medicine. Burnout lies ahead otherwise.

With all the content to cover, I'm worried that if I do anything other than study I'll end up falling behind

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending