The Student Room Group

Desktop for sixth form?

Hey, I'm starting A-Levels next year, taking Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics. Currently I have an old laptop that I used for GCSE stuff, but it's frustratingly slow, and so I want to get a desktop. What kind of things will I need it for, and what kind should I get (Money isn't a huge issue, but my parents are careful with money so value is a must, and upgrade-ability would be nice).

Also I'm doing the Engineering Education Scheme for those who know of it, is there anything within that I will need a desktop for?
Reply 1
Original post by chinkinator
Hey, I'm starting A-Levels next year, taking Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics. Currently I have an old laptop that I used for GCSE stuff, but it's frustratingly slow, and so I want to get a desktop. What kind of things will I need it for, and what kind should I get (Money isn't a huge issue, but my parents are careful with money so value is a must, and upgrade-ability would be nice).

Also I'm doing the Engineering Education Scheme for those who know of it, is there anything within that I will need a desktop for?

You don't need much for a desktop.

I'd recommend to build your own PC with a Mini itx case.

Wouldn't you want a laptop instead of a desktop?
Reply 3
Original post by Guy_Specs
Wouldn't you want a laptop instead of a desktop?

I want a change, my current laptop has pissed me off too many times; though I may get a laptop and connect it to a monitor.
I want a change, my current laptop has pissed me off too many times; though I may get a laptop and connect it to a monitor.

Given the demands of A-levels and that you'll likely come up against a shortage of computers in your library, a laptop would ensure that would be able to get your stuff done and not have to worry about transferring documents to your main computer. Getting a laptop and you would thereby forgo the middle man.
Reply 5
How old is ur laptop.

I got one that was 3 years old and it was running super slow, but when i installed an ssd it ran like usain bolt.

Tbh i do the exact same subjects as u will and i don't use my laptop too much for academic purposes

If u do decide to replace the hdd with an ssd i would recommend the samsung 850 evo as it is very straight forward to clone your old operating system etc.

Do some research into the matter. If any problems arise u can dm and i can try to help, im by no means a pro though.

A 250gb drive for typical daily usage is enough for most purposes

Quick Reply

Latest