Turn on thread page Beta

Can you believe in evolution and be a Christian? watch

ReputationRep:
    I know a lot of Christians don't believe in evolution as they instead believe in the story of Creation as told in the Bible.

However, I also know some Christians who say they do believe in evolution. This doesn't really make sense to me as the story of Creation completely contradicts evolution.

Some Christians say that they believe evolution and think the stories of Creation/Adam and Eve were myths, but picking certain stories from the Bible and ignoring or discrediting others doesn't really make sense to me. Surely if it's God's word then all of it should be taken literally and seriously.

Do you guys think a Christian can believe in evolution? Feel free to discuss
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Should a cow be accepting of McDonald's?

ReputationRep:
    Christianity and evolution are NOT mutually exclusive. In fact, the Pope also "declared" evolution and the big bang to be real.

ReputationRep:
    I'm Christian and I believe in evolution
    I'm not an idiot
    I believe the creation story was written in simplified terms for a less intelligent population.
    Evolution more or less follows the story
    And it does not change the fact that I believe it is Gods creation. The complexity just makes it more miraculous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bbll98)
    I know a lot of Christians don't believe in evolution as they instead believe in the story of Creation as told in the Bible.

However, I also know some Christians who say they do believe in evolution. This doesn't really make sense to me as the story of Creation completely contradicts evolution.

Some Christians say that they believe evolution and think the stories of Creation/Adam and Eve were myths, but picking certain stories from the Bible and ignoring or discrediting others doesn't really make sense to me. Surely if it's God's word then all of it should be taken literally and seriously.

My personal view on the matter is that Adam and Eve existed. Evolution to me is only exclusive to animals which a human is not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lawlieto)
    Christianity and evolution are NOT mutually exclusive. In fact, the Pope also "declared" evolution and the big bang to be real.
    The Bible says everything was created in 6 days. Surely that contradicts the notion of evolution? I'm just asking because I'm curious

ReputationRep:
    Sure they can, but it's a cop out because it completely contradicts the bible. But that's just my opinion. And do you think for one second the Pope reads his Bible? LOL. No God required - I only accept pure, naturalistic Darwinian evolution. That's where the evidence leads.

ReputationRep:
    The Bible says everything was created in 6 days. Surely that contradicts the notion of evolution? I'm just asking because I'm curious
    I think he knows it better than me:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolut...h#Pope_Francis

ReputationRep:
    Yep, loads of Christians believe in evolution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BenTheBlue)
    Sure they can, but it's a cop out because it completely contradicts the bible. But that's just my opinion. And do you think for one second the Pope reads his Bible? LOL. No God required - I only accept pure, naturalistic Darwinian evolution. That's where the evidence leads.
    Evolution explains the origin of species, but not the origin of life, therefore I do not see any logical contradiction between a Creator and evolution.

The majority of Christians accept evolution and the rest of what scientific invesigation teaches us as truth.

We believe that much of the Bible is allegorical; a way of explaining in simplified terms, to a simple (as was) people concepts which were too complex for people to understand, as there was no other way those concepts (such as creation) could be framed.

You'd be quite hard pressed to find a Christian who believed otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    ofc you can, God created life in the same order as evolution anyway

also recent scientific theories suggest that all life came from clay, something the bible's always said

ReputationRep:
    Evolution explains the origin of species, but not the origin of life, therefore I do not see any logical contradiction between a Creator and evolution.
    There is a direct contradiction between what the Bible teaches and evolution. I didn't say there was a contradiction between a creator and evolution Don't strawman me lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    You'd be quite hard pressed to find a Christian who believed otherwise.
    One of my best friends is a Christian who believes in the literal meaning of the story of Creation and says she therefore doesn't believe in evolution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BenTheBlue)
    There is a direct contradiction between what the Bible teaches and evolution. I didn't say there was a contradiction between a creator and evolution Don't strawman me lol.
    I meant the idea of a Creator, I never took the Bible seriously. I'm a true Christian; I've never read the Bible.

ReputationRep:
    I meant the idea of a Creator, I never took the Bible seriously. I'm a true Christian; I've never read the Bible.
    Well if you'd ask me if there's a contradiction between evolution and the idea of a creator, i'd say no. But it doesn't necessitate a creator either. I'm not a deist or theist

ReputationRep:
    I'd also add to that by saying there are a lot of 'closet atheists' out there lol.

ReputationRep:
    unless you believe the 6 days of creation were actually the 1 million years of evolution, no

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Theistic evolution.

ReputationRep:
    The 'day' mentioned in Genesis is not a scientific term it's meant to represent a period of time.

All the Christians I know believe God created the world through evolutionary processes.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 6, 2017
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.