Is chemistry a difficult a level?
StealingThunder
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by A.holman358)
Is chemistry a difficult a level?
Ye boi, but it's also awesome. Organic has lots of content and the physical stuff can be challenging conceptually, but it's the most rewarding and useful science 👌👍
(But I'm biased cos I'm studying chem at uni.)
A.holman358
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by StealingThunder)
Ye boi, but it's also awesome. Organic has lots of content and the physical stuff can be challenging conceptually, but it's the most rewarding and useful science 👌👍
(But I'm biased cos I'm studying chem at uni.)
Thank you , are you able to tell me the topics studied in chemistry a level ? Also if you don’t mind me asking what grade did you achieve ?
StealingThunder
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you , are you able to tell me the topics studied in chemistry a level ? Also if you don’t mind me asking what grade did you achieve ?
Was predicted A* but I then had lots of family issues etc so got an A. (But under normal circumstances I could've got A*)
As for topics it'll depend on your spec, I did AQA.
Generally it's split into physical, inorganic and organic.
Physical is stuff like rates of reaction, inorganic is stuff like catalysts and transition metals, organic is stuff like crude oil / alcohols / alkenes all that funky functional group stuff.
Basically physical is more calculations and organic is more drawing funky molecules.
There's also a lot of practical skills and you get good at working out what the best route for a reaction is etc.
If that sounds interesting to you, do chem cos it's p useful! If it doesn't then don't, because the hardest a levels are the ones where you're actually not interested in the subject. ((A-level choices mantra: do the subjects you love cos you'll work harder for them!!)) xx
Appio001
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In my opiniom there's no such thing as an "easy" A level. I think it all just depends on your drive and motivation. I'd say look it up abit esp the exam board you'll be doing and see if you like it. I did my AS in Chemistry and this September ill be doing my A level in Chemistry and it's going well so far my exam board is OCR A and I'm genuinely enjoying it so far. But trust me the difference between A levels and GCSEs are that if you don't have a passion or drive for the subject you're doing then you could very well fail it. This is because each subject requires your time and attention and if you cannot give this you'll limit yourself! But long story short, if you're interested then GO FOR IT!!!!
A.holman358
Rep:
?
Thank you so much extremely helpful , I’m dreading the gcse to a level transition though 😫
TheMannMountain1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's generally okay in first year (AS). However in second year (A2), expect lot of memorising of different reactions and masses of mathematical work.
StealingThunder
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you so much extremely helpful , I’m dreading the gcse to a level transition though 😫
Honestly that's not the bad bit. The first year content is alright, but second year is a lot more challenging - just gotta keep on top of the workload! It'll be fine xx
A.holman358
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheMannMountain1)
It's generally okay in first year (AS). However in second year (A2), expect lot of memorising of different reactions and masses of mathematical work.
Thank you
A.holman358
Rep:
?
Honestly that's not the bad bit. The first year content is alright, but second year is a lot more challenging - just gotta keep on top of the workload! It'll be fine xx
The exam board I’m with is wjec do you know what that is like?
StealingThunder
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The exam board I’m with is wjec do you know what that is like?
Ah no sorry!! I've only ever used edexcel and aqa resources. Hopefully someone will see the thread who did wjec?? I'd recommend looking up their spec and reading it through to see which are the main topics. If you search around enough you can probs find a student blog with notes or experiences? (Tho maybe not of new spec). A golden resource I used for chem was n goalby 's notes (I think the website is called chemrevise.org or something?? Can't quite remember.) maybe he has wjec notes u could look at for a taste?
Best of luck to you! xx
A.holman358
Rep:
?
Ah no sorry!! I've only ever used edexcel and aqa resources. Hopefully someone will see the thread who did wjec?? I'd recommend looking up their spec and reading it through to see which are the main topics. If you search around enough you can probs find a student blog with notes or experiences? (Tho maybe not of new spec). A golden resource I used for chem was n goalby 's notes (I think the website is called chemrevise.org or something?? Can't quite remember.) maybe he has wjec notes u could look at for a taste?
Best of luck to you! xx
Thank you very much extremely helpful good luck in uni
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (100)
61.35%
No (63)
38.65%

Watched Threads