songs for mezzos and altos Watch

CamilaN96
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I've started taking vocal lessons and thought I was an Alto, by the first class, but then the teacher told me I'm a mezzo. Could you give me songs to train my high notes? (can be for both high or low, tho)
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Beth_H
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What kind of music are you looking for? Dido's Lament (also called When I Am Laid in Earth), from the opera Dido and Anaeas, is a good one for a beginner as it's not too technically demanding. You could also look into lieder, which are short German songs and often written for a fairly narrow vocal range (the most well known composers of lieder are the Schumanns, Schubert and Brahms).

Another option is songs from musical theatre. Shows with good songs for mezzo/altos include Evita (Don't Cry for Me, Argentina), Fun Home (Maps, Telephone Wire, Changing My Major, Days and Days is particularly good for high notes), The Secret Garden (Hold On), Mary Poppins (Sister Suffragette, Stay Awake, Feed the Birds) and Hamilton (Burn), although some of those might be a bit advanced if you're a beginner.

Hope that helps, although bear in mind that I'm a soprano, so possibly not the most reliable source of information for mezzos.
E_M_M_I_E
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CamilaN96)
I've started taking vocal lessons and thought I was an Alto, by the first class, but then the teacher told me I'm a mezzo. Could you give me songs to train my high notes? (can be for both high or low, tho)
I'm an alto.

First off, teachers often cater to the needs of the class or themselves. You could be an alto, but you need to hit at least a F3 without straining too much. It also depends on tessitura. Some believe Adele is an alto, some think she's a mezzo.

The best singer I can suggest is Amy Lee.

The best song for an (contr)alto is Even in Death. Very low range.

She's got plenty of higher ones. I'd recommend Breathe No More.

A very good high note song, more for agility, is Your Star and Like You.

All are by Evanescence, perfect for your range.
applesforme
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CamilaN96)
From what I understand "alto" is a category for choral singing (soprano, alto, tenor, bass). Mezzo-soprano is a category for solo singing. So you may be a mezzo-sopran, but sing alto in the choir. If you've just started taking lesssons I think it would be too early to tell what voice type you are. Notes that you may be straining with now, once you learn how to properly relax your neck/throat and sing with support, may become easy. I would also have thought a true mezzo was quite rare. You aren't a mezzo just because you can't sing high yet, that just means you don't know how to sing high, not that you can't. You could listen to these singers, and see whose voice is the most like yours: Kathleen Ferrier (contralto), Janet Baker (mezzo-soprano), Elina Garanca (mezzo-soprano), Renee Fleming (full lyric soprano), Barbara Bonney (lyric soprano), Sarah Brightman (light-lyric soprano). There are other voice types as well like dramatic mezzo or sop, coloratura mezzo or sop, spinto etc.

You should ask your teacher for advice on working on high notes. I can think of some exercises but they are hard to explain, maybe you could asky our teacher about them: "ng" sound up and down your range esp high in your range, lip trill "brrr" up and down, flicking from a note you're comfortable on up to the third higher and down again to the same note and not spending much time on the high note - your soft palate (I think) just flicks up basically - go up in half tone steps. There should never be any tightening or straining with any exercise or with any (classical) singing in general.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

Are cats selfish

Yes (135)
60.81%
No (87)
39.19%

Watched Threads