Turn on thread page Beta

Help pls, mature student applying through UCAS watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm new here! Please excuse the long post!
    I'm doing distance learning course A levels in sociology and History of Art, and taking AS levels in English Language and French at a local college. I'm working really hard and I'm on track for A's in the 2 A levels, and it will hopefully be the same for the AS levels. I really want to study Linguistics and/or English. I would love to teach English as a foreign language either in Britain or abroad. My problem is I am applying to universities and trying to write my personal statement, but I'm not sure how forgiving admissions offices are to 22 year old mature students with unimpressive grades up until now.

My GCSE's were a mix of B's C's and D's, although this was mostly due to being dragged between my parents homes. My dad lives abroad so I missed LOADS of school between the ages of 14-16, and spent a lot of the time travelling and living on a farm instead! After I left school I worked for a year, then took A-levels in law and psychology, but was distracted from studying due to personal problems. I ended up with grades B and D. Since then, I've sorted my life out and have been working full time in a fairly responsible job, I've also passed an Open University introduction to social sciences course. Do you think they'd see this as compensating for my grades in GCSE and first 2 A-levels? It sounds like I'm making excuses for myself but I'm really not! I also have no idea which universities to apply to, I would prefer to go to one in London, but they all only seem to want straight A*/A students and I wouldn't stand a chance of getting in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magicalmonkey21)
    Hi, I'm new here! Please excuse the long post!
    I'm doing distance learning course A levels in sociology and History of Art, and taking AS levels in English Language and French at a local college. I'm working really hard and I'm on track for A's in the 2 A levels, and it will hopefully be the same for the AS levels. I really want to study Linguistics and/or English. I would love to teach English as a foreign language either in Britain or abroad. My problem is I am applying to universities and trying to write my personal statement, but I'm not sure how forgiving admissions offices are to 22 year old mature students with unimpressive grades up until now.

My GCSE's were a mix of B's C's and D's, although this was mostly due to being dragged between my parents homes. My dad lives abroad so I missed LOADS of school between the ages of 14-16, and spent a lot of the time travelling and living on a farm instead! After I left school I worked for a year, then took A-levels in law and psychology, but was distracted from studying due to personal problems. I ended up with grades B and D. Since then, I've sorted my life out and have been working full time in a fairly responsible job, I've also passed an Open University introduction to social sciences course. Do you think they'd see this as compensating for my grades in GCSE and first 2 A-levels? It sounds like I'm making excuses for myself but I'm really not! I also have no idea which universities to apply to, I would prefer to go to one in London, but they all only seem to want straight A*/A students and I wouldn't stand a chance of getting in.
    start firing off your CV and life history to university admissions tutors - they are the best people to ask as to what they want. The OU course also carries sredit points, which you should put down on your form. It should compensate for only having 2 A2s. Again - write to them and get confirmation of this. Also check out the dept websites as they will usually have very detailed admissions and qualification statements.

I'm 28 and am starting uni in 19 days time

Fx

ReputationRep:
    As a mature student who is starting university very soon, the best advice I can give you is that you can't lose anything by trying. You'll find that some universities are incredibly unhelpful but there are others that will bend over backwards to help you get in - probably because they appreciate the finer qualities of a more mature mind . Seriously, you'll find that evidence of dedication and successful recent study count for far more than a string of A*/A's at GCSE. The fact that you have gone back to education (and are doing well!) will also definitely count in your favour. As for London universities - you can only try. Also, have you considered looking at any of the 'outer' London uni's? Some of them do have good reputations and they could be a good 'insurance' choice for you.

ReputationRep:
    I will be starting uni next year as a mature student and when I went to the HE fair the responses I got from admissions tutors were very positive. I myself did A levels but due to family problems/v. bad depression i only achieved two C's and an E. I took a year out working and have now completed one year doing a BTEC in textiles which I love and I'm on target for DDM and a damn good portfolio to boot. The majority of university's are happy to accomdate mature students as studies have found they do a lot better than the younger counterparts. Ring up the admissions tutors and speak to them about what your currently doing and your past. They will value you that now you are doing alot better and especially the determination that you have put in doing A levels a second time! Many people when they leave the academic world find it hard to go back again. You have proven you can so make sure they know this! Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I'd put most of what you've said here on your PS. Sounds quite impressive to me that you have sorted yourself out and are heading for good grades. Well done.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.