Gap year- do i apply this year or during my gap year? Watch

negzi
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am currently going into year 13 this September.

Basically, I did work experience for medicine last week and realised it wasn't for me. So, 2 days ago, I decided I wanted to apply for Dentistry instead. Baring in mind it's a last minute decision, and that in order to get into Dentistry, I need a lot of work experience, revise UKCAT and write my personal statement all before October.

I have arranged work experience for dentistry for 4 days. However, I haven't written my personal statement yet and I need to start UKCAT revision now too. Therefore, in short, by the application deadline, I won't have nearly as much work experience as other applicants would (therefore would be rejected), and my PS would be rushed since I would only have about 10 days after my UKCAT exam to write, check and improve it.

Therefore, I'm considering a gap year. I'm planning on getting work experience in all areas of dentistry this year and next year (e.g. orthodontics, private practice, hospital experience, dental lab etc.), as well as pharmacy to support my back up choice. I'm also planning on getting a job, learning piano to at least grade 6, doing some research about dentistry since I don't know anything rn (due to my last minute choice), doing more volunteering etc. This way, I can revise for my UKCAT properly and hopefully get my best possible score, as well as writing my personal statement to my best.

However, I'm really confused as to when I apply if I wanna take a gap year. Do i HAVE TO apply this year (before my A2 levels) or can I apply after my A2 levels? Because I'd have to apply after A2 in my situation since my personal statement and work experience is my issue- i dont want to apply as deffered entry rn.

So I was wondering if i CAN apply after a2 levels (next year)? would it be frowned upon by unis that I didn't apply this year?

sorry if this was confusing...feel free to ask any questions if it was
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by negzi)
I am currently going into year 13 this September.

Basically, I did work experience for medicine last week and realised it wasn't for me. So, 2 days ago, I decided I wanted to apply for Dentistry instead. Baring in mind it's a last minute decision, and that in order to get into Dentistry, I need a lot of work experience, revise UKCAT and write my personal statement all before October.

I have arranged work experience for dentistry for 4 days. However, I haven't written my personal statement yet and I need to start UKCAT revision now too. Therefore, in short, by the application deadline, I won't have nearly as much work experience as other applicants would (therefore would be rejected), and my PS would be rushed since I would only have about 10 days after my UKCAT exam to write, check and improve it.

Therefore, I'm considering a gap year. I'm planning on getting work experience in all areas of dentistry this year and next year (e.g. orthodontics, private practice, hospital experience, dental lab etc.), as well as pharmacy to support my back up choice. I'm also planning on getting a job, learning piano to at least grade 6, doing some research about dentistry since I don't know anything rn (due to my last minute choice), doing more volunteering etc. This way, I can revise for my UKCAT properly and hopefully get my best possible score, as well as writing my personal statement to my best.

However, I'm really confused as to when I apply if I wanna take a gap year. Do i HAVE TO apply this year (before my A2 levels) or can I apply after my A2 levels? Because I'd have to apply after A2 in my situation since my personal statement and work experience is my issue- i dont want to apply as deffered entry rn.

So I was wondering if i CAN apply after a2 levels (next year)? would it be frowned upon by unis that I didn't apply this year?

sorry if this was confusing...feel free to ask any questions if it was
If you're taking a gap year, you have a choice of when to apply. You either apply before the gap year for deferred entry. This means that you can sort your application whilst still at school/college so have teachers on hand for advice, and that you know you have your confirmed offer when you start the gap year. It also gives you another chance if you don't get any offers.
Or you can apply during the gap year. This gives you longer to apply and means you'll potentially make a better application. But if you get asked to interview, it will be during the gap year - this may be more awkward with dates if you're at work/on holiday. You can ask your application questions on TSR. You'll need to get your reference from your school, so make sure that they know of your plans.
negzi
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Juno)
If you're taking a gap year, you have a choice of when to apply. You either apply before the gap year for deferred entry. This means that you can sort your application whilst still at school/college so have teachers on hand for advice, and that you know you have your confirmed offer when you start the gap year. It also gives you another chance if you don't get any offers.
Or you can apply during the gap year. This gives you longer to apply and means you'll potentially make a better application. But if you get asked to interview, it will be during the gap year - this may be more awkward with dates if you're at work/on holiday. You can ask your application questions on TSR. You'll need to get your reference from your school, so make sure that they know of your plans.
Thank you so much! Now I understand...so does that mean I don't apply to any unis at all this year (if that's what I want)?
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by negzi)
Thank you so much! Now I understand...so does that mean I don't apply to any unis at all this year (if that's what I want)?
If you would prefer to apply during your gap year, you can. You wouldn't apply to any unis this year.
StealingThunder
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by negzi)
My friend went through the same thing this year except she went from wanting to do physics to medicine suddenly. She knew she didn't have enough experience so is about to go on gap year and is taking bio a level as well, and volunteering. So she got her a level grades this August and will be applying in October. My school at least let people come back to sort out applying during gap year. There are two others in my year who are doing that but that was more tactical thinking than anything.
It's p normal to apply post A2 grades. I mean you could apply this year to get a "practise" run in, but tbh you're better off focusing on smashing your a levels and worry about it later.
Good luck xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?